Please explain why deaf people are proud to be deaf???

pixiestix

Reaction score
I don't understand why deaf people are proud to be deaf.

I hate hate being deaf.

Can't do stuff that requires hearing.

Lawsuit settlements with hospital takes forever.....

Autocorrect doesn't recognize word deaf and corrects it to dead.

Please explain why people like being deaf???

If I offended you I didn't mean to. Just curious why????

Because it's our identity. If we weren't deaf, we would simply not be the way we are now. Life for us would be much difference and we are proud of who we are with our deafness and that doesn't hold back for not doing something you like to do in our life.

You should be proud because it's being deaf what's make you what you are.
True, being deaf is harder that being not deaf but that is precisely why you should be proud.
You are beating such a hardships and odds while doing it better than a hearing person. Isn't that enough?

Fuzzy

I write deaf and it doesn't auto-correct. I think you exaggerate.

Fuzzy

No.. they didn't exaggerate. I've had that happen to me in the past. Sometimes it takes autocorrect to catch up and learn the words.. In newer phones there is a way to add the word to the "dictionary" so that it won't try to autocorrect it in the future. On my I get a suggested list and a checkmark if that is what I actually meant to type.

No.. they didn't exaggerate. I've had that happen to me in the past. Sometimes it takes autocorrect to catch up and learn the words.. In newer phones there is a way to add the word to the "dictionary" so that it won't try to autocorrect it in the future. On my I get a suggested list and a checkmark if that is what I actually meant to type.

That happened to me too on iPhone.

For OP,

Deaf people whoever accept to be deaf has been adjusted properly, but you don't adjust to it.

I already adjusted to accept the deafness but I don't accept deafblind (Usher Syndrome), so I have same feeling as you under deafblind name.

It happens to all, just face the fact that it has rather than lie it never did.
My opinion of what they are trying to say is, If you don't live in a Deaf or Deaf Friendly community, it is harder. It is harder for someone who is Deaf to find jobs or jobs that will accommodate their needs. And its true. We have all experienced it, we all need the added resources that the standard "Hearies" don't need. We need the extra equipment. Its truly a hearing world out there and they are not willing to learn another language, especially ASL just to please the very few of us. Especially older folks, ASL isn't an easy language to learn.

And sometimes I wonder what the Deaf seem so proud of, when they shun late deafened or CI users, when we are all in the same boat?
Ive been invited by friends to Deaf Socials and had fun, introducing us and all, but when that Deaf friend isn't there you are treated like an outsider and backs turned to you? WTF? Really. and youre proud of that? wow

My friend was actually appalled by that, they asked why they acted like they did and got some alarming responses. We were invited back but refused to go there again and went elsewhere, our friend left as well because of the way they were treating people, funny how they hide the real "them"

Last edited:
It was extremely hard for me to accept my deafness after hearing for 14 years. Music was my Life and writing songs...Even in parts of my adult Life...I withdrew into a deep depression over my deafness...
I do feel it made me stronger...with more guts and determination to succeed...
I can't say I'm Proud to be deaf...but I can say that I am proud of myself to keep on going, learning all I could...and knowing that I am Somebody who did overcome it all....
It's true, I was somewhat "shunned" at deaf clubs because I was moreso "oral", even tho' I knew ASL....luckily, I did make some deaf friends, mainly those who were/are HOH...

It was extremely hard for me to accept my deafness after hearing for 14 years. Music was my Life and writing songs...Even in parts of my adult Life...I withdrew into a deep depression over my deafness...
I do feel it made me stronger...with more guts and determination to succeed...
I can't say I'm Proud to be deaf...but I can say that I am proud of myself to keep on going, learning all I could...and knowing that I am Somebody who did overcome it all....
It's true, I was somewhat "shunned" at deaf clubs because I was moreso "oral", even tho' I knew ASL....luckily, I did make some deaf friends, mainly those who were/are HOH...
You can find deaf or HOH who are oral. For example, I am deaf but orally good! .9

I don't understand why deaf people are proud to be deaf.

I hate hate being deaf.

Can't do stuff that requires hearing.

Lawsuit settlements with hospital takes forever.....

Autocorrect doesn't recognize word deaf and corrects it to dead.

Please explain why people like being deaf???

If I offended you I didn't mean to. Just curious why????

Never understood this myself. I'm no more "proud" of being deaf than I am of having learning disabilities. It required no effort on my part. What I am proud of is my ability to exceed my limitations.

Laura

I think it mean exactly that - to exceed whatever our limitations are.

Fuzzy

B/c we have the best superpower ever.....to turn off our hearing! They have gay pride, black pride, feminism and ALL kinds of pride for many different minority groups. Why shouldn't Deaf people be proud of who they are?

They have gay pride, black pride, feminism and ALL kinds of pride for many different minority groups.
^ was going to be by response, in general. I mean, LOL, I have the pansexuality symbol as my icon! <3

And when I read the OP I thought of this meme;

d317e708526b9370c01a1cebdd200d0b9a8aa4044756fe7a7f17845b259b8dd3.jpg

As someone with a couple of disorders, it's the same thing, though when it's of the mind, you just think there's something wrong with you and it's your own fault so you have to shape up. Knowing what you have, how to manage it and excel by working around/with it is a real challenge, but even before I knew what I had I was a gamer. Got sick of taking it "normal" or "easy" mode, then I couldn't handle anything more than that when it was such a simple matter to put it on hard mode from the start and just try a little harder to get by. Then you do normal mode and it's like "this is boring..." lol! Maybe that's an odd way to think of disabilities when people don't choose to be or become disabled, but it's the same for disorders. I may not have a physical handicap, but having A.D.D. in the family sucks... and yet, we have hyperfocus and a few other perks. ;) Like how deaf people have hightened eyesight. Every "condition" comes with it's ups and downs, including being "normal". That's a condition, too. Life growing up without the disorders would have been soooo much easier, but I've not only adjusted and am proud of my "hard mode", I wouldn't trade it for a regular brain. :D I like using my pros and cons to enjoy life my own way. No different than how I don't WANT to be anything other than pansexual. But there are people on the opposite end: they hate their A.D.D., they don't like feeling "unnatural" by not being heterosexual, and they don't want to be deaf.

It's about being comfortable with who you are and what you have to work with. You may be without one sense, but your brain is wired to make up for it with great perks! I'm not saying you have to love your condition, but you have the ability to make the most of it by working with the "pros" of it. <3 I'm sorry you've been given frustration, but I really hope you have a happy life. :)
(ugh, my post is so looong..! >///>)

Back