Plan to establish an alumni at US Naval Academy

e

Reaction score
Navy grads create gay alumni chapter

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (AP) -- While at the Naval Academy in the late '80s, Jeff Petrie thought he was the only gay midshipman at the school. Homophobia was rife, and he took pains to hide his sexual orientation.

"I kept my secret. I lived a double life in exchange for the opportunity to serve," he said.

Now, Petrie is leading an effort to establish an official gay and lesbian chapter of the school's alumni association, in what would be a first for any U.S. service academy.

The chapter's 29 members-to-be, none of whom still serve in the military, want to support gay midshipmen still bound by the Department of Defense's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, Petrie said.

"Just by existing, I think we will be able to help current midshipmen by showing them we have been through it successfully, and if that's what they want to do, they can do it too," said Petrie.

Petrie, a 1989 graduate, said he plans to file an application with the academy's alumni association next week.

He said the academy has fostered a "disapproving and damaging environment for gay and lesbian midshipmen for decades."

"We don't have the power to change that," said Petrie, who now lives in San Francisco and calls his would-be chapter USNA Out. "But we do have the power to make things a little easier."

Skid Heyworth, vice president of communications for the military college's alumni association, said Friday he had not received the group's application but would pass it to the association's board of directors for review. He said he didn't know of any similar request in the academy's history.

"We're not going to speculate on the 'what-ifs' at this point until we see the request," Heyworth said.

Aaron Belkin, director of the Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military at the University of California, Santa Barbara, said it's the first request for official recognition by gay and lesbian service academy graduates. There are several unofficial networks, often with anonymous members, around the country, he said.

"I'm impressed with what they're trying to do," Belkin said.

"To a greater extent than ever, officers will say they're not uncomfortable around gays and lesbians on a personal level. But there are still pockets of intense resistance to integration."

Petrie said he has been working since July to compile a roster of potential members, all of whom belong to the Service Academy Gay and Lesbian Alumni Association, a 150-member alumni association that is not officially sanctioned by any of the military academies. Many of its members are anonymous.

An official gay and lesbian chapter of the Naval Academy's alumni association would take a step forward, advertising its members and offering contact information, said John Sewell, a 1990 graduate who has signed onto the roster.

"Being out would give the group a little more political say," said Sewell, who now lives in Seattle after serving three years as a nuclear submarine officer in Norfolk, Virginia. "We know who the members are, and we're not some hidden organization."

Sewell, of Seattle, who served three years as a nuclear submarine officer in Norfolk, Virginia, said the academy's alumni association would simply be following the lead of other colleges and universities by agreeing to a gay chapter.

"If I had graduated from Harvard or Yale or Stanford, I would have an official chapter, so for me it's, 'Why not?"' he said.

Petrie said he learned he wasn't the academy's only gay midshipman during a weekend trip to Washington, D.C., when he met a fellow gay midshipman carrying a USNA duffel bag.

"He started talking to me and said, 'Do I know you?' I pointed to his bag and said, 'I think we go to the same school.' We immediately became best friends," Petrie said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/11/08/naval.academy.gay.ap/index.html

I think it's great, another way walking out of closet to be part of this. I bet it wasn't that easy back then. I hope they'll approve this and no hassle!

Hmm..sounds good. Certainly hope people will decide to pass this and allow for it to be established as it's long overdue for one. It'll also demostrate that the general society and the army all are becoming tolerant and accepting of gays and lesbians from all walks of life.

ANd not only that waterrats it ll get the men and women to stop filing fooked up sexual harrassment suits and misjudging any women or men thinking thier looking at thier bods for sex when it isn't the only reason thier looking cuz they have to watch people's back in the line of fire!

Back