Phone question

Saavik

Reaction score
Is there an affordable phone or something that offers just data only? Seems even the deaf phone plans are both out of my price range as well as giving me insufficient data (150-200MB per month and I'd need at least 500mb to be semi-viable).

As of right now, I only have an old smartphone a friend gave me with no service, so to use IP relay, I have to be in range of a public wifi source, so if I'm out and about and something happens, I can't call anyone I know to help.

I tried buying a freedompop since it wasn't too steep, but it's basically a scam and didn't work, despite being in a 3g covered area.

I use a sidekick which only has data, but it's an unlimited plan. What are you doing that needs 500 mb a month? I would think that if you only have the phone for text you wouldn't go over that limit. On the other hand, if you are downloading or sending pictures to friends it would be problematic.

You have to think about what you need to use to phone for and cut out the extras, if you are on a budget.

To help you find this the first question is where do you want service? Who has the best network varies greatly across the country. Also ask around where you will be using it and see what other people like. Dollar wise you will probably find the best deal with a MVNO that uses that network. But . . . most of them do not roam. By far most of the MVNOs are prepaid service and thus you know what you are spending every month, etc. rather than getting surprise bills. This is the reason that type of service is the only type I have used.

Ask your phone carrier to remove the voice plan, that's what I always do. I know that Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile are all willing to remove the voice plan for a cell phone customer so we don't waste money on something that we'll never use. My phone bill is around $52.00/month for unlimited everything on an iPhone 5.

If they're not willing to do this, remind them that maybe their competition would be willing to do it.

Ask your phone carrier to remove the voice plan, that's what I always do. I know that Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile are all willing to remove the voice plan for a cell phone customer so we don't waste money on something that we'll never use. My phone bill is around $52.00/month for unlimited everything on an iPhone 5.

If they're not willing to do this, remind them that maybe their competition would be willing to do it.

I can't afford that much per month. :(

I tried to do that route of just removing the voice and I wanted the SMS off too since I don't need either, I just need a way to use the IPrelay app on a smartphone on the go, not hoping I end up at a free public wifi spot in the event I need to call someone to pick me up or something.

I tried to do that route of just removing the voice and I wanted the SMS off too since I don't need either, I just need a way to use the IPrelay app on a smartphone on the go, not hoping I end up at a free public wifi spot in the event I need to call someone to pick me up or something.

Hmm.. perhaps you can ask one of the carriers how much it would be for a data-only plan (web and email only). Given that the carriers are locked in fierce competition, I'm sure one of them would be willing to come up with a plan that fits your budget. Shop around and don't be afraid to tell them that you can't afford their options. I make less than minimum wage in my area and Verizon worked with me to find a plan that I could afford.

If what I have added the bold to is really you goal, how do you get to the 500MB usage mentioned in your first post in this thread?

Also, what do you feel you could pay?

Hmm.. perhaps you can ask one of the carriers how much it would be for a data-only plan (web and email only). Given that the carriers are locked in fierce competition, I'm sure one of them would be willing to come up with a plan that fits your budget. Shop around and don't be afraid to tell them that you can't afford their options. I make less than minimum wage in my area and Verizon worked with me to find a plan that I could afford.

I'm planning to go by the T mobile and verizon stores soon and see what I can get.

If what I have added the bold to is really you goal, how do you get to the 500MB usage mentioned in your first post in this thread?

Also, what do you feel you could pay?

I'm not sure how much I'd need, but $10-$20 a month would be what I'm looking for, I'm just factoring in google hangouts since I like to keep in touch with my friends back in Vegas and a few other apps I use.

I'm planning to go by the T mobile and verizon stores soon and see what I can get.

Good for you. If they really want your business, and they'd be crazy not to, they'll work with you.

I'm not sure how much I'd need, but $10-$20 a month would be what I'm looking for.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something at that cost level. Also, you could try one of the smaller carriers, or look into a pay-as-you-go plan.

Don't forget that, if you use apps that include advertisements, the ads are going to eat into some of the bandwidth (not much, but it adds up with many apps). This is why I don't install ad-supported apps.

Call your phone company handicap number and see if they'll give you a free phone. If you're using your phone to work at home you could also call rehab and see if they'll help you get a phone. You should look on line for agencies that work with deaf and hoh people , they should be able to tell what kind of resources are out there. There are a lot agencies that help people , they'll will not go to you , you have to be proactive and made some phone calls . .

Have you looked at Tracphone yet? I got that for my parents years ago when their budget was tight and they've kept using it as it's cheap. Also, uh, what is it, Consumer Cellular, I think? It has commercials with older people in them, middle age to seniors, had that stupid fake twin commercial with matchy names like Don and Dan or something like that. Rated highly by Consumer Reports for being cheap and reliable and having good coverage.

Call your phone company handicap number and see if they'll give you a free phone. If you're using your phone to work at home you could also call rehab and see if they'll help you get a phone. You should look on line for agencies that work with deaf and hoh people , they should be able to tell what kind of resources are out there. There are a lot agencies that help people , they'll will not go to you , you have to be proactive and made some phone calls . .

Good suggestion! I do know that there is a program that provides free phones and phone service to people in Seattle through DSHS. Perhaps the OP can find this type of thing in her area.

Good suggestion! I do know that there is a program that provides free phones and phone service to people in Seattle through DSHS. Perhaps the OP can find this type of thing in her area.

There are still some agencies out there that are able to help people , they may not be around for long with the budget cut the government is doing

Check Virgin Mobile. You can get prepaid at your price range. $35 would give unlimited data and text.

I'm not sure how much I'd need, but $10-$20 a month would be what I'm looking for, I'm just factoring in google hangouts since I like to keep in touch with my friends back in Vegas and a few other apps I use.

I'm not sure you can do it for that price with a paid service. If you get into a messaging plan, you will quickly go over the limit for text messaging. If I were you, I'd stick close to the public library and save the $20 a month for a year. Next year, you might have enough in reserve to float some type of plan with that money and then save for the future year during that year.

And, while you are at the library you can be studying for your new career. It's a win win situation.

If you know anyone with sprint -- you can join their framily plan and it can be cheap as 25 a month .

Check Virgin Mobile. You can get prepaid at your price range. $35 would give unlimited data and text.

I think $35 could be doable, especially since it isn't a contract, I could stop when funds don't allow for it. Going to sell a few items to make sure I have some extra cash for this as it's important to me.

If you know anyone with sprint -- you can join their framily plan and it can be cheap as 25 a month .

I don't know of anyone, I know one person with Verizon and another on T Mobile, but I'll keep my eyes out for someone I know with Sprint, but I don't many people and nobody in my family has a cellphone.

I think $35 could be doable, especially since it isn't a contract, I could stop when funds don't allow for it. Going to sell a few items to make sure I have some extra cash for this as it's important to me.

I don't know of anyone, I know one person with Verizon and another on T Mobile, but I'll keep my eyes out for someone I know with Sprint, but I don't many people and nobody in my family has a cellphone.

Keep in mind that some of the major US carriers are switching things around lately (T-Mobile no longer does contracts), and Verizon lets you spread the cost of a new phone over a 12 month period - that's how I bought my iPhone 5. The carriers are implementing things to entice customers to join them, which is why I believe they would be more willing to work with you now than they have been in the past. You might check them out and see if they have something new that meets your needs.

You might check them out and see if they have something new that meets your needs.

And I have found that some very old sayings still hold true. "You never know until you ask" And "even if the answer is no you are no worse off than before you asked."

I think straighttalk from walmart is kinda cheap but I also think cingular or boost mobile are as well not just the top 3 att sprint or verizon. Tmobiles a joke

Back