Phonak, Oticon, Widex, Siemens, GN ReSound, etc. How are they all different?

Frustrated one

Reaction score
There are so many different hearing aid companies that sell so many kinds of products. It makes me wonder why there are so many in the first place.

I wonder which ones are better, which ones produce the best sound quality and which ones are the best value overall, etc. Do certain hearing aid companies have better hearing aids or are they all just the same?

?????

Which ones are the best, in your opinion?

Phonak and Oticon are generally best for the super power hearing aids.

Widex is a good product for which you will pay a higher price.

Siemens is the largest manufacturer of hearing aids in the world, with some of the best prices.

Siemens is the largest manufacturer of hearing aids in the world, with some of the best prices.

That seems about exactly right.

that's why I still have an Oticon, LOL :)

No idea LOL, I never have had a Phonak though, I have had a Widex, and Oticons

There are so many different hearing aid companies that sell so many kinds of products. It makes me wonder why there are so many in the first place.

I wonder which ones are better, which ones produce the best sound quality and which ones are the best value overall, etc. Do certain hearing aid companies have better hearing aids or are they all just the same?

?????

Which ones are the best, in your opinion?

I have Widex which is the best I've tried and I'm delighted with them. But be warned, sounds, sound differently from person to person so while I may love Widex, what rings your bell might be Phonak. If you stick the major well known brands, you can't go wrong. Do look for someone experienced in different brands that allows you to try it out, and keep notes about what you're looking for and what you discover you like or don't like in a particular model.

Laura

I have Widex which is the best I've tried and I'm delighted with them. But be warned, sounds, sound differently from person to person so while I may love Widex, what rings your bell might be Phonak. If you stick the major well known brands, you can't go wrong. Do look for someone experienced in different brands that allows you to try it out, and keep notes about what you're looking for and what you discover you like or don't like in a particular model.

Laura

That's very true. Last time I changed, I trialed Oticon, and I really didn't like it , so I went with Phonak again.

What y'all opinion of Beltone?

Not a great reputation. They are the kind of aid dispensed by hearing aid dealers. "Dispensers" which means a franchise owner, is likely to fit you with no contact with a qualified audiologist.

Not a great reputation. They are the kind of aid dispensed by hearing aid dealers. "Dispensers" which means a franchise owner, is likely to fit you with no contact with a qualified audiologist.

I've been to 3 different audiologist. 1) from my ENT, 1) audiologist separate practice and 1) at my Beltone office. All 3 preformed the same exact testing, all with the same results. My ENT sent me for an MRI to be sure there was no physical anomaly. This would lead me to believe that my Beltone office has a qualified audiologist.
I asked for opinion of Beltone because it's the only HA I have ever had and I might switch when these are paid off.

I got the following from online:

Founded in 1940, Chicago-based Beltone is a global leader in hearing health care. One of the largest manufacturers of hearing instruments, Beltone products are sold in the United States, Canada and over 50 countries worldwide.

In addition to providing outstanding service and support for our U.S. hearing care network, operating in over 1,500 offices in North America, Beltone remains the most trusted brand for quality products and care among its patients and adults aged 50 and older.

Also found this:
http://www.beltone-hearing.com/about-beltone/corporate-information

I've been to 3 different audiologist. 1) from my ENT, 1) audiologist separate practice and 1) at my Beltone office. All 3 preformed the same exact testing, all with the same results. My ENT sent me for an MRI to be sure there was no physical anomaly. This would lead me to believe that my Beltone office has a qualified audiologist.
I asked for opinion of Beltone because it's the only HA I have ever had and I might switch when these are paid off.

I got the following from online:

Founded in 1940, Chicago-based Beltone is a global leader in hearing health care. One of the largest manufacturers of hearing instruments, Beltone products are sold in the United States, Canada and over 50 countries worldwide.

In addition to providing outstanding service and support for our U.S. hearing care network, operating in over 1,500 offices in North America, Beltone remains the most trusted brand for quality products and care among its patients and adults aged 50 and older.

Also found this:
http://www.beltone-hearing.com/about-beltone/corporate-information

:lol: Yes?

What y'all opinion of Beltone?

Never thought much of them. Kind of like "miracle ear." Remember those commercials where people could hold completely relaxed conversations by construction sites? What a rip off....I feel sorry for people who don't know better.

Never thought much of them. Kind of like "miracle ear." Remember those commercials where people could hold completely relaxed conversations by construction sites? What a rip off....I feel sorry for people who don't know better.

So are you saying you tried them and didn't like them?
Yeah, my mom had bought Miracle Ear as her first set. She said they were horrible. She seemed to like her Beltone's though. Her and my brother both have HA's from Hearing Planet now.

I trust my hearing only with someone with a college degree in audiology, not with a salesman pushing his product. HAs from a reputable audiologist will cost more but with the price you good "after the sale" service. As many office visits as you need to make adjustments during the 2-3 year warranty, free batteries for maybe a year, hopefully knowledgable info about assistive devices that work with your hearing aids, etc.
Plus I look for one (and found a great one) who is more interested in finding the right hearing aid for my particular needs and working with me to get the best sound from the HAs.
I shopped for one who had the equipment to preform REM (real ear measurement) and am glad I did as it pointed out to the audiologist that the lows were not set right by the computer program. After this adjustment I realized my previous HAs from an audiologist (whom I liked but didn't have the resources I was looking for) has the same "problem" with the lows.

Back