Phonak ComPilot, must be around neck?

PinballWiz

Reaction score
So I've got a trial of a Phonak Naida V coming and they've got the ComPilot coming with it as I need phone integration and audio streaming. Reading about this everything suggests that it MUST be worn around the neck for it to work. I get the the lanyard is an antenna, but is it true that the thing actually has to be around your neck to work? As opposed to sitting on my desk? Why? That would be a non-starter.

Is there an alternative for audio/phone call streaming that doesn't have to be around my neck to work? Roger accessory?

Yes, the ComPilot has to be around your neck to stream to your HAs. The Roger system is an FM system that can also uses bluetooth to receive audio to send to your FM receiver(s). It's more expensive than the ComPilot.

Yes, the ComPilot has to be around your neck to stream to your HAs. The Roger system is an FM system that can also uses bluetooth to receive audio to send to your FM receiver(s). It's more expensive than the ComPilot.

Thanks. I’ll test the Naida’s. If I like the aids themselves I’ll look into the Roger devices. I just can’t see myself wearing a lanyard device around everywhere.

How familiar are you with the Roger accessories? Can the Roger Pen duplicate everything the ComPilot does? That seems like an elegant solution if it does what I need. (BT phone calls, streaming, mic.)

I didn't get the Roger Pen, and then the Roger Select, until I got my CIs since I could choose them as part of my accessories (and the insurance paid for them). I use them to stream audio books, mostly when I'm taking walks. They are so-so for mics in noise - at least at a dinner table. But I may not be noticing the benefit as much as I might have with my HAs because I'm hearing better with my CIs. I can't remember if I tried it with the phone, because I rarely use my phone for calls, but it should work as well as the ComPilot.

The Roger Pen/Select require receivers whereas the ComPilot doesn't need anything extra to work with the HAs.

https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/accessories/roger-select.html

https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/accessories/roger-receiver.html

Thanks. It's becoming clearer. The web site does a good job in some respects in describing the individual items but it's difficult to piece it all together.

My take is that I'd need the Roger receiver (I'd get the one that integrates into the Naida V itself) and that allows me to choose from the rest of the Roger devices depending on what I need to do. In my case I'd think the Pen for streaming, phone calls, mobile mic...and one of the table mics for meetings or in my office.

Expensive, but if it works I'll gladly go this route. My audiologist who I've had for many years is fantastic, but he's not that familiar with the Phonak stuff.

PinbalWiz
What is your problem with wearing the ComPolit around your neck? I find it easy to put on and leave it. It can be under your shirt when not changing settings.

Thanks. It's becoming clearer. The web site does a good job in some respects in describing the individual items but it's difficult to piece it all together.

My take is that I'd need the Roger receiver (I'd get the one that integrates into the Naida V itself) and that allows me to choose from the rest of the Roger devices depending on what I need to do. In my case I'd think the Pen for streaming, phone calls, mobile mic...and one of the table mics for meetings or in my office.

Expensive, but if it works I'll gladly go this route. My audiologist who I've had for many years is fantastic, but he's not that familiar with the Phonak stuff.
The Select is the same thing as the Pen but you have better control on where to focus the 6 mics compared to the single mic on the Pen. You might want to visit some HA forums, if you haven’t already, and ask about those. The Select is new this year.

I work in a professional office situation and simply am not going to wear a device dangling around my neck. Even if it worked adequately beneath a shirt my office attire doesn'tt lend itself to gaining access to it easily if I needed to. In casual situations, well, having something dangling around my neck isn't exactly what I want. I find it strange that the device requires it to be this way, coming from Made for iPhone aids that integrate so seamlessly with my phone.

One does what they need to do, and if that was my only choice then I'd deal with it. But so long as other options exist, I'll do without the neckwear. :)

The Select is the same thing as the Pen but you have better control on where to focus the 6 mics compared to the single mic on the Pen. You might want to visit some HA forums, if you haven’t already, and ask about those. The Select is new this year.

Yeah, I was looking at the Select. That seems like a good solution for my office. I could place it near the door since so many people stop there and talk to me from across the room. Having a remote mic placed there might work out really well.

Question, if you have two devices...say a pen and the select...how easy is it to switch between them?

Question, if you have two devices...say a pen and the select...how easy is it to switch between them?
Depends. Sometimes I have a little trouble relinking one or the other. But that may be as much "user" issue as Roger issue.

If I buy the receiver and pen from online, do I have to go to the audiologist to pair them?

I have a program set to use FM with receiver.

I have the integrated receiver, and my audiologist did install that onto the HA, but I don't think any particular programming was involved. Pairing the pen to the receiver doesn't require the audiologist. I've bought two pens from ebay and paired both of them myself, easily. You simply hold it close to the receiver and hold a button.

Back