Phonak ComPilot and TVLink

DickS

Reaction score
I have a pair of Phonak aids and I have grown to be totally dependent on the Phonak ComPilot Bluetooth interface system. It is a big improvement over the earlier iCom system in many ways. The number one ComPilot use for me is the ability to make and receive phone calls from my iPhone. It worked great with my iPhone 4S and it works well now with my iPhone 5. My business phone is set to roll over all calls to my iPhone and I cannot live without it. I never found (or bought) a "normal" phone that helped me understand callers. I spent hundreds of dollars on phones for the hearing impaired that were louder, but not clearer. The ComPilot fixed that.

In addition to the phone calls, the ComPilot also delivers music from my iPhone to my aids wirelessly. It is amazing to be listening to a song, and then have the song halt while the voice of ComPilot announces an incoming phone call. When the call is done, the music resumes. I smile every time it happens.

I've also added the Phonak RemoteMic. In a noisy restaurant, or while driving, my wife clips the little microphone onto her coat or collar - and I can hear her talking above the background noise. It really works. I've used it with groups of people at restaurants - I give it to the person in the center of the group on the other side of the table - and the microphone picks up conversations from more than one person. A huge social aid.

The new TVLink S is also greatly improved. I tried the original version and I returned it. The problem was that Bluetooth incorporates a "buffering" - the signal is accumulated and then transmitted. That created a problem if I was using the TVLink and my wife (normal hearing) was listening to the TV speakers at the same time. The sound from the speakers arrived - and then the sound from the Bluetooth arrived after a delay. The result was an echo --- I found it to be unusable. The newer TVLink S has cured that problem. I can listen to the TV with my aids boosting high frequencies while my wife listens to the TV speakers --- with virtually no echo. I like it !

The ComPilot system is well designed, well engineered, and it makes my life much, much more enjoyable. I recommend the system highly.

if you are using the copilot with a computer in the headphone jack. Do you need to do anything to your aids? How simple is the system to use? do you still have to wear it around your neck?

Hi WillsMom
You don't need any special settings. Just connect your PC to the ComPilot 3.5mm socket and it will start streaming to your HIs.
Cheers
Michael

if you are using the copilot with a computer in the headphone jack. Do you need to do anything to your aids? How simple is the system to use? do you still have to wear it around your neck?

It is very easy to use.

You do have to wear it around your neck - the neck loop sends the signal to your aids. One of the improvements in the ComPilot is that the neck loop is user-replaceable. The older iCom had a cord that was hard-wired at one end, and if the cord broke (which happens) the iCom had to be sent back to Phonak for repair. Now the cord has plugs at both ends and replacement is a snap. I keep a spare neck loop cord in reserve.

Last edited:
How big is the ComPilot? It looks pretty huge in the pics to be wearing all the time. I have an iCom but the antenna wire just broke off so I am looking for another alternative.

How big is the ComPilot? It looks pretty huge in the pics to be wearing all the time. I have an iCom but the antenna wire just broke off so I am looking for another alternative.

Not sure where you live but I am in the US and rather then measure mine looked on their site (Phonak Hearing Systems - life is on) and found a connection to a PDF that gives the size.

That size is listed as 71.8 x 49.2 x 14.2 mm and 46g or 3" x 2" x .06" and 1.6 oz.
Then cords for it come in two (interchangeable) lengths of 75cm & 57cm. Or expressed in inches 30" and 24".

I have not found it a problem to wear. But, I never did have the iCom and have not idea how they compare in size. I will hit streaks where I run around home with nothing on but always wear aid and ComPilot when I am going to be around other people.

I had the iCom and then I got the ComPilot. They are about the same size. The battery on the ComPilot lasts twice as long. My favorite part is that the wire that goes around my neck has plugs on both ends. I have a spare wire and if it breaks I just plug in a new one. The wire on my iCom broke and I had to send it back to the factory for repair. Go get the ComPilot and you'll be happy.

I have been thinking about getting a spare wire but have not done so. One thought is would I want to get the other length for the spare and maybe like it better with certain clothes? Also, any idea what I might expect to pay for one? I am in Southern Illinois.

I will hit streaks where I run around home with nothing on but always wear aid and ComPilot when I am going to be around other people.

Thanks, glad you at least wear your ComPilot when you are around other people:shock: LOL. I think I know what you meant.

I had the iCom and then I got the ComPilot. They are about the same size. The battery on the ComPilot lasts twice as long. My favorite part is that the wire that goes around my neck has plugs on both ends. I have a spare wire and if it breaks I just plug in a new one. The wire on my iCom broke and I had to send it back to the factory for repair. Go get the ComPilot and you'll be happy.

I have been thinking about getting a spare wire but have not done so. One thought is would I want to get the other length for the spare and maybe like it better with certain clothes? Also, any idea what I might expect to pay for one? I am in Southern Illinois.

Jane

My record shows the I paid $15 for the spare cord. I believe that it only comes in black .... hope that works with your clothes.

Jane

My record shows the I paid $15 for the spare cord. I believe that it only comes in black .... hope that works with your clothes.

I wasn't expecting anything other than black and made no mention of color. I am thinking about getting the other length just to be able to switch as different lengths may work better with different necklines for example.

I wasn't expecting anything other than black and made no mention of color. I am thinking about getting the other length just to be able to switch as different lengths may work better with different necklines for example.

It was a weak attempt at humor .....

Hi WillsMom
You don't need any special settings. Just connect your PC to the ComPilot 3.5mm socket and it will start streaming to your HIs.
Cheers
Michael

I have the ICOM which is about 2 years old. Pairing to my Window's phone was easy, but have not been able to pair to my TV. I haven't tried to use with my PC. Do you know if there are any tablet's that would be able to pair to my I
COM or should I look into buying the COMPilot. Not sure if it would be compatible to my HA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Sutina
ComPilot can replace iCom. With older hearing aids you cannot benefit from its remote control but the streaming will work right out of the box.
iCom should pair to any Bluetooth enabled device, as long as it is supporting Bluetooth headsets (which for TV may not be the case, you should consider TVLink instead).
With some laptops pairing is difficult (depends on the Bluetooth drivers installed), using a small BTD500 USB adaptor may be helpful here.
Hope this helps
Michael

I didn't even know about the compilot that is so neat..........but how much does it cost

You can get the compilot with TV link for $320.00 on amazon. I bought an iCom with TV Link on ebay for $122.50. I had an old iCom but the neck wire broke. I just hooked up the TV Link and it is great. I haven't been able to hear the TV for about 10 years so I'm really happy with this setup and highly recommend the TVLink. My new iCom wouldn't steam sound to my hearing aids so I had to have my audi fix that. It took her about 2 minutes.

You can get the compilot with TV link for $320.00 on amazon. I bought an iCom with TV Link on ebay for $122.50. I had an old iCom but the neck wire broke. I just hooked up the TV Link and it is great. I haven't been able to hear the TV for about 10 years so I'm really happy with this setup and highly recommend the TVLink. My new iCom wouldn't steam sound to my hearing aids so I had to have my audi fix that. It took her about 2 minutes.

omg awesomeness I am excited now!!!! my husband gets so tired of me turning the tv up sooo loud (so he says I don't think its loud) whenever the CC doesn't work this will be a huge help!!!!:ty:

Back