Phonak Ambra vs Naida

No... You can still buy Sumo. It's a mature product.

In relation to new technology, I believe the Naida UP is stronger. That's what Audi said.

So....I had emailed the audi's office (cuz phone calls are an impossibilty) that I had concerns about power for the Ambra SPs, that I'd like to have another hearing test before I got my aids. She emailed back that that wasn't a problem. i went in this past Tuesday, and he (the audi) asked me about my concerns, and told me I didn't need to worry about power, that the Ambra had plenty. Oh I forgot to mention that I had told them I had the results of a hearing test I had done at Costco about a month earlier (which is the audiogram at the begining of this thread) and I was afraid that I had lost more hearing, if the Costco audiogram was accurate. So he pulls up the audiogram he has for me, a test done in January, and is all see the Ambras are good. Well the test results he has are about 5 decibels better than the Costco one....but still. Actually AMaize the results were very close to what yours are, anyway lets say the Costco one was bunk, I think I'm still out of the range of the Ambras in frequencies between maybe 500-3K.

Well I've been wearing them for about 5 days now. Actually one one the last couple days, my bad ear I took the aid out because while I can feel sound sometimes (i think that that might be when I get sound in the really high frequencies cuz really my left ear is WAY out of range of the Ambras) I'm not getting any clear sound so I'm basically getting noise. That is really distracting!!! I was having a hard time understanding with my right ear because my left was getting bombarded with gibberish know what I mean? The first day everything seemed quite amazing, but I think that might just be because I have heard diddly squat the past year or so. But now that I'm getting used to the new sound I'm realizing that....these aren't working that great for me. Now I know I need some more adjustments, for one thing I don't think he has the program that cuts back ground noise activated. little sounds, like fans, are overly loud while voices and barely audible in noisey situations. I'm having a very hard time with women's voices, which is always true, but I can't understand my sister, very soprano girl right there) like at all. But like I said I think some frequencies are getting enough oomph so everything sounds distorted, and if I try to turn them up I get feedback and all those little noises just get louder...ugh

So I'm putting my foot down when I go back monday. The left aid is going back, and I'm not getting another one for it, I want to try to get it implanted. I want a Naida S IX UP. I don't care if he says he doesn't think I need the power. I'm the one paying for them, and I'm going to be the one still paying for an aid that won't work for me if I lose more hearing, which the chances of that are high, very very high. You know what people say about guns? They rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. Well I'd rather have more power and not need it than need more power and not have it.

So....I had emailed the audi's office (cuz phone calls are an impossibilty) that I had concerns about power for the Ambra SPs, that I'd like to have another hearing test before I got my aids. She emailed back that that wasn't a problem. i went in this past Tuesday, and he (the audi) asked me about my concerns, and told me I didn't need to worry about power, that the Ambra had plenty. Oh I forgot to mention that I had told them I had the results of a hearing test I had done at Costco about a month earlier (which is the audiogram at the begining of this thread) and I was afraid that I had lost more hearing, if the Costco audiogram was accurate. So he pulls up the audiogram he has for me, a test done in January, and is all see the Ambras are good. Well the test results he has are about 5 decibels better than the Costco one....but still. Actually AMaize the results were very close to what yours are, anyway lets say the Costco one was bunk, I think I'm still out of the range of the Ambras in frequencies between maybe 500-3K.

Well I've been wearing them for about 5 days now. Actually one one the last couple days, my bad ear I took the aid out because while I can feel sound sometimes (i think that that might be when I get sound in the really high frequencies cuz really my left ear is WAY out of range of the Ambras) I'm not getting any clear sound so I'm basically getting noise. That is really distracting!!! I was having a hard time understanding with my right ear because my left was getting bombarded with gibberish know what I mean? The first day everything seemed quite amazing, but I think that might just be because I have heard diddly squat the past year or so. But now that I'm getting used to the new sound I'm realizing that....these aren't working that great for me. Now I know I need some more adjustments, for one thing I don't think he has the program that cuts back ground noise activated. little sounds, like fans, are overly loud while voices and barely audible in noisey situations. I'm having a very hard time with women's voices, which is always true, but I can't understand my sister, very soprano girl right there) like at all. But like I said I think some frequencies are getting enough oomph so everything sounds distorted, and if I try to turn them up I get feedback and all those little noises just get louder...ugh

So I'm putting my foot down when I go back monday. The left aid is going back, and I'm not getting another one for it, I want to try to get it implanted. I want a Naida S IX UP. I don't care if he says he doesn't think I need the power. I'm the one paying for them, and I'm going to be the one still paying for an aid that won't work for me if I lose more hearing, which the chances of that are high, very very high. You know what people say about guns? They rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. Well I'd rather have more power and not need it than need more power and not have it.

You are the one paying for it so you have the right. Most people like to have power to spare. Also if you want to get a CI, a lot of people wear the Naida in the other ear if only one CI. They say the Naida and CI work well together.

If you are only wearing one aid from now on, don't get the Naida IX as you will be paying for features that will only work with 2 aids. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I agree you need to switch to the Naidas, your Audi is on crack. Also agree with NaidaUP, don't pay for the IX if you're only getting one. My Audi said I shouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the V and IX with only one aid. I got the V by the way.

I went for the IX myself, not knowing you needed TWO for the zoom feature to work (and I only wear 1 hearing aid, wasn't going to invest in an expensive hearing aid on a dead ear pft!) and that sort of thing... Oh well, it still works well and I didn't pay a cent for it (Medicaid covered the costs).

I agree you need to switch to the Naidas, your Audi is on crack. Also agree with NaidaUP, don't pay for the IX if you're only getting one. My Audi said I shouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the V and IX with only one aid. I got the V by the way.

Thanks!! that was very useful information! I just got back from my appointment a little bit ago. I told him my fears about power issues if I lose more in the future. he told me I don't have anymore to lose. I think he was basically saying that if I lose more it's not going to matter which hearing aid have because I'll be unaidable by then as far as speech goes anyway. But he is ordering me a Naida S V UP, so I can "compare" the two. He can think I'm comparing them all he wants I already know I'm going to want that extra head room more power will offer. My hearing is the worst between 500 and 1k hz, there's a lot speech in there that the Ambras can't cover for me, or barely.

Your Audi sounds dumb, lol. WHY would you give a practically deaf person anything but the most powerful aid?! That makes no sense...Good for you for sticking to your guns!

I got the nadia about 2 years ago, i only worn the aid for a few months before my right ear became useless. It was pretty powerful, i even had to adjust myself from hearing through the aid. It was really different compared to the ones i had before. I had the small aid, and it was powerful but i didn't really liked it compared to the nadia. My nadia is still brand new and it's disappointing that i couldn't wear it longer. I really loved that aid!

Well, I've had the Naida S V UP in my ear for about 6 hours, and so far I'm loving it!! It seems to be a lot clearer, voices louder and background noise quieter vs what the Ambra was doing. On the way home I actually drove with the window down and could hear my Beastie Boys pretty well!! the cars and wind weren't nearly so loud as with the Ambras.......and I could hear the music!! That is very exciting to me :D:D

He had the manual programs set to just everyday and zoom. I told him to put the speech in noise in the manual programs as well. That was really frustrating with the Ambras, I'm not sure if speech in noise on automatic was even working, it seemed to do the opposite of what it was supposed to be doing. Example, one day last week, I walked with a coworker down the plaza to Lowes Food to get some lunch. On the way back an ambulance with the sirens going drove by on the highway, he asked "can you hear that?" I said, "oh yes, I can hear all those cars, their' wicked friggin loud, it's me and you that are quiet". Yes, when I was in a noisey situation it would make even my own voice quieter. grrrrrrr So we'll how these go, I have another appointment in a week. Because he ordered me 2, even though I told him I wanted 1, that I wanted to leave my left ear open and try to get a CI. He told me "at your age i want to you to get as much information as possible". WTF he meant by that I have no idea. my age....at my age pfffttt

Thats good it's going well.

If you wants a CI and haven't been aided in that ear for a while then the CI may not work.

A lot of people need to wear a high powered aid to wake there nerve up so it's good enough for the CI.

Hope you keep enjoying the Naida even more.

Thats good it's going well.

If you wants a CI and haven't been aided in that ear for a while then the CI may not work.

A lot of people need to wear a high powered aid to wake there nerve up so it's good enough for the CI.

Hope you keep enjoying the Naida even more.
Now that's very interesting..... It's been a little over 6 years since I wore an aid in my left ear. I seem to be hearing more out of it with the Naida than I was with the Ambra. With the Ambra I sometimes got like a tickle in my ear, but not much actual sound, I think I'm actually getting some sound with Naida in it, so maybe I will keep it, we'll see.

With Speech-in-Noise, it will dampen speech as well as the noise...but you should be able to hear the speech better than if it didn't dampen the noise.
My Naida's automatically go to speech-in-noise and the only way I can tell is when I talk to someone. When I go to the mall, it kicks in and I'm usually a little "surprised" when I talk to a salesperson because my voice is not as loud/crisp.

I've got the speech in noise in my automatic program. Use to have a separate program but I prefer it in my automatic as I don't have to do anything.

I still seem to struggle to hear speech on buses. The noise blocks the speech out. When I pick up comPilot and he links it. I'm going to see if he can sort the bus noise. Not sure if he can.

Got home from work today and my sister said something to me, I answered right off the bat, no asking what, then she says to me....."I love your new hearing aids" lol. I have a really hard time understanding her. I still pretty much need the speaker to be looking at me, but so far these are working for me much better :D

A couple days ago I took the aid out of my right ear, my "good" ear, and tried to see how much I was actually hearing with the naida in my left. With the Ambra I heard...pretty much nothing, not anything clear anyway. With the Naida I am getting speech.....it just sounds really far away and kind of squeaky, like everybody sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks :giggle: But I could understand what people were saying, even if I was hearing rather quietly. Which is just sad considering the naida is pumping it up to almost 120 db!! I def wouldn't be able to rely on it though if something happened to my right one for instance. And if my right ear gets as bad as my left, oh boy I'm going to be hurtin.

But I've also noticed if I take my left aid out before I take the right one out, I don't notice any real difference in sound, since I'm hearing so much more with the right. So I don't think I'm going to keep it. But it has told me that my nerve for that ear isn't "dead", and a CI should work for it!! :D

Last edited:
Okay just put my nail stickers on it, only put them on the right, because I don't think I want to keep the left. I have tube twists too, but haven't put them on because of the sores in my ear, having enough problems with that thank you very much. But here it is all pimped up :D

Attachments

• P1020808.jpg
    P1020808.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 39
you should keep the naida for the left hear until you get approved for the CI...most audis want you to continually get sound until you get the CI so you have an easier time once you get the CI for your brain to interpret the sounds its getting

you should keep the naida for the left hear until you get approved for the CI...most audis want you to continually get sound until you get the CI so you have an easier time once you get the CI for your brain to interpret the sounds its getting

If I didn't have to pay for it myself I'd be all over that. But paying almost 3 grand for something I might only use for a year makes me throw up in my mouth a lil bit.

I'm actually really surprised I was understanding with my left ear. I stopped using a hearing aid in it over 6 years ago. The ear hook wasn't fitting on my aid right so I was getting crazy amount of feedback. Then I went to get new aids, and the audi told me she didn't recommend me wearing an aid in that ear anymore. With the additional loss I'd need the volume up so loud that the vibrations from the sound hitting my ear drum that hard would make me dizzy. Well this latest audi has poo pooed that. But the other night when I took the right out to see how much my left was hearing my sister and daughter had been watching this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0AhrY9GjA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0AhrY9GjA[/ame] and everytime she said girlfriend I understood her :D and the laptop wasn't even in front of me so I wasn't watching it....it was across the dining room table from me. I was amazed!!

If I didn't have to pay for it myself I'd be all over that. But paying almost 3 grand for something I might only use for a year makes me throw up in my mouth a lil bit

ooooh yes! LOL Ok I definitely see your point haha totally forgot about the having to pay for it part :P forget I said anything lol

Back