Phonak Ambra vs Naida

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for new HA's, I currently have an Oticon Tego Pro, 4 years old, but my hearing loss has exceeded the aids capabilities, I can hardly understand....any damn thing. This is why I'm asking y'all instead of the audiologist because I'd likely miss half his answer anyway. My hearing loss in my right ear is profound, in the left it's profound to no response. The audiologist has recommended the Ambra SPs. I gave one a test run (I could only try one in my right ear because I don't have a mold for my left, I haven't worn an aid in it in 6 years) and it worked very well. But I've been looking around on Phonaks website and have noticed that the Naida's are more powerful and I wonder why he didn't recommend them. I should note that he thinks I should try wearing an aid in my left ear again. I was told about 6 years not to, that I would need the volume up so loud that it would vibrate my ear drum and make me dizzy. Actually my cochlear otosclerosis has since done damage to my ventricles and I have vertigo issues now anway, so wat the hell why not. I probably won't ever get speech out of it, but I'm sure the environmental sounds will help my brain process everything.

Anyway, he mentioned the hearing aids working together. Do Naida's not do that? Do the Ambras have more/better features to process the sound? I'll put my test results in here as well.

250--R 90 L 100
500--R110 L 110
1K---R110 L 110
1.5K-R105 L 110
2K---R105 L 110
3K---R100 L 110
4K---R105 L 110
6K---R100 L 110
8K---R100 L 100

I have Naida. I like it very well. Maybe he hopes to sell a new aid sooner by selling you something without enough power.

there's alot of people on here that wears the Naidas and as for the Ambra, I have a friend who wears that model in LIGHT BLUE!!!! :) (she like me, also wear glasses too)

Hello everyone on the forums!
I'm new here and I hope to learn as much about hearing aids!
You can read more about your Phonak hearing system on my site I hope will be useful!
Ave a good day to you and hear us soon!

croshearingaid.com

I have a pair of pink naida V UP. Love them but my audiology dept have changed the battery draw section to beige, as they thought I still use a radio microphone system I don't.. I want to get some replacement pink battery draws. Phonak UK have said the following:-
Unfortunately we don't make the battery drawers in pink.

I have a pair of pink naida V UP. Love them but my audiology dept have changed the battery draw section to beige, as they thought I still use a radio microphone system I don't.. I want to get some replacement pink battery draws. Phonak UK have said the following:-
Unfortunately we don't make the battery drawers in pink.

Yep they don't do them in pink. Only the standard colours like black, beige, clear, brown and taupe. Think it's rubbish that they don't do them in all the colours.

My Audi and I chose a Naida for me. My numbers aren't quite as high as yours. My Audi wanted me to get a Super Power aid, which is what Naida is. I'm getting the V.

I'm profound to no response in my left ear, severe in my right. My left ear should be getting a cochlear or baha in the near future.

My Audi and I chose a Naida for me. My numbers aren't quite as high as yours. My Audi wanted me to get a Super Power aid, which is what Naida is. I'm getting the V.

I'm profound to no response in my left ear, severe in my right. My left ear should be getting a cochlear or baha in the near future.

if I had insurance I'd be getting a CI in a heartbeat!! I should going in sometime this week, I really really feel I should getting Naidas instead of Ambras. the Naida IXs have all the same features as the Ambras I think, so I'd still have all the same technology, but more power. Weird I think the Naidas with all the bells and whistles cost a couple hundred dollars less than the Ambras, and they're more powerful? WOnder how that works.

and another thing, the SP takes a size 13 and the UP will take up a 675 :)
I take a 13 for my tiny aids LOL and like you, I'm pretty not that much severe but I'm still moderate/severe slopin to severe.

Good luck with your Naidas. Sounds like your left ear will be maxed out with the super power Naidas. I find with the bigger battery, battery last so much longer. :)

if I had insurance I'd be getting a CI in a heartbeat!! I should going in sometime this week, I really really feel I should getting Naidas instead of Ambras. the Naida IXs have all the same features as the Ambras I think, so I'd still have all the same technology, but more power. Weird I think the Naidas with all the bells and whistles cost a couple hundred dollars less than the Ambras, and they're more powerful? WOnder how that works.

I just don't know if I qualify for a CI since a hearing aid helps my right ear. Does the "hearing aid provides minimal benefit" apply to the ear getting the CI, or both?

I just don't know if I qualify for a CI since a hearing aid helps my right ear. Does the "hearing aid provides minimal benefit" apply to the ear getting the CI, or both?

I have no idea....and that's a good question!! But my hearing is worse than yours, my left ear is pretty close to dead....and my right is getting close. The ENT I saw a couple months ago thought I would be a good candidate and referred me to a doc at SC medical University Hospital.....but since I don't have insurance we're just going to try more powerful aids. I just hope I'm not throwing $$ away on them and I can get a decent amount of speech clarity with them, otherwise I'm screwed.

I have no idea....and that's a good question!! But my hearing is worse than yours, my left ear is pretty close to dead....and my right is getting close. The ENT I saw a couple months ago thought I would be a good candidate and referred me to a doc at SC medical University Hospital.....but since I don't have insurance we're just going to try more powerful aids. I just hope I'm not throwing $$ away on them and I can get a decent amount of speech clarity with them, otherwise I'm screwed.

LOL well I had hearing aids that ls just like your Tego (I had an Oticon Gaia)
so with them on all the time, I'm screwed :P seriously, I hadn't even worn them like forever since before I got my 3rd set of hearing aids!!

Just got an email that my hearing aids are in!!!! w00t w00t!!!! But I can't go get them and be fitted until next week. waaaahhhhhh I wanna hear now gorammit!!! Not sure I'm keeping the Ambras though, even though it would be boss if I wore Ambras....my name is Amber. I emailed back asking them to squeeze a hearing test in when I go pick up the Ambras. hopefully they won't give me a hard time if we need to switch them out, especially since I didn't ask for the Ambras.

Which makes me wonder why do audiologists always want to put you in smaller aids? For instance the one I have now, was bought by the Voc Rehab, the audiologist told me I prob could use one more powerful, but the one she ordered was smaller and had one more program, so she thought Id have preferred it. pfffft and yep, I ended up needing that power!!! I don't care how big the thing is, I don't care if it's so damn big I have to carry it around in my purse.....as long as I can hear :laugh2:

Last edited:
My audi has always tried getting the max power aids she can and I've still maxed out aids 4x now since I was 19 lol. I currently wear a naida V UP in my right ear and a naida V SP in my left :)

Back