philology: Calvin and Hobbes

illustrator

Reaction score
I may not be perfect by acknowledge of Calvin and Hobbes. But I would like to share with everybody's experience about Calvin and Hobbes. I am asked several questions that we might can answer it. You can ask or give us the point.

Do you believe Calvin have two personal in his mind? I mean, in public, people claims saw Calvin build the ugly snowmen after he claim he raise the original monster snowman come alive?

No. I believe Calvin is a simple comic book character (and a damn good one at that) with a toy stuffed tiger, Hobbes.

Dude, it's fiction. It's a cartoon. Don't take it too seriously.

Originally posted by Xero
No. I believe Calvin is a simple comic book character (and a damn good one at that) with a toy stuffed tiger, Hobbes.

Dude, it's fiction. It's a cartoon. Don't take it too seriously.

I take that you aren't hard-fan. :mad:

And I am talk about philology to understand how character work. Why? how? who? where? what? why why why?

That's what I am look for something entertainment to discuess about Calvin and Hobbes.

I rarely seen Calvin's father and mom on own "show". I have seen mom on ONLY one strip of herself at the grocey. Only TWO strips on Calvin's father in alone. It's interest to see their parents' side without Calvin appear.

welll u have to remmy that Calvin is little boy just like human being use allot of fanstany activies and talk to theirsevles.. etc .. i do recall myself just like that... so that way it show the true chartcher as little kids has done in their childhood ... otherwise i am not that fans sorry ! but i do read them whenever i am in the mood to check few of strips .

Well Calvin's the main character of the comic strip, while Hobbess is Calvin's best friend, is the second main character of the comic strip but we are all looking at calvin's story, the life of his childhood, his parents, his life at school, always bullyed by Moe, always get bored in classes, always throw water ballons at Susie in the summers and snowballs at Susie in the winters. Alwas ride on a wagon in summers and snow sled in winters. always complain and always brag about himself and other types of things. That's what makes the comic strips so interesting. Even Calvin's imagianary and other things that are magically or fiction or just a joke...etc makes things interesting as well.

It was more than 10 years ago.

Calvin and Hobbes appeard in comic pages from November 1985 to December 31st, 1995.

Originally posted by Steel
Well Calvin's the main character of the comic strip, while Hobbess is Calvin's best friend, is the second main character of the comic strip but we are all looking at calvin's story, the life of his childhood, his parents, his life at school, always bullyed by Moe, always get bored in classes, always throw water ballons at Susie in the summers and snowballs at Susie in the winters. Alwas ride on a wagon in summers and snow sled in winters. always complain and always brag about himself and other types of things. That's what makes the comic strips so interesting. Even Calvin's imagianary and other things that are magically or fiction or just a joke...etc makes things interesting as well.

It was more than 10 years ago.

Calvin and Hobbes appeard in comic pages from November 1985 to December 31st, 1995.

"more than 10 years ago"?!?!?

It's more like LESS 10 years ago!

And I never seen Susie on strip alone before.... hmm... anyone seen? I may miss it.

I've always enjoyed reading about Calvin and Hobbes's antics -- and how they interact with other characters in the strip. I do know that it's only fictional and a comic strip, it's quite interesting seeing from Calvin's point of view...of course, his is a bit corrupted and distorted to a point, heh. It's funny...

anyone seen that one? It been publish only for Ohio.

deadline.gif

Philology? Do you mean, "Philosophy"? I'm familiar with the Calvin & Hobbes comics. I used to read them all the time until the artist decided to demand more space for his comics, many newspapers refused to give him more space so he's no longer in many newspapers. *sighs*

That size should be big enough, take in mind other people have to load the page with all the graphics and it takes up time as well as space.

illustrator said:
Do you believe Calvin have two personal in his mind? I mean, in public, people claims saw Calvin build the ugly snowmen after he claim he raise the original monster snowman come alive?

I've got two different theories about Calvin that I like to play with, what we'll call the Tyler Durden theory and the Changeling theory.

TD: If you haven't read/seen Fight Club, log off and go to the library or video store or whatever and get this, or be spoiled. Anyway, in Fight Club, "Jack" (since the main character is never actually named, I'll keep to tradition and call him Jack) has a best friend named Tyler who is responsible for all sorts of destruction and the like. Little do we know that Jack really is Tyler, only he has projected all of his pent up rage, etc into this other persona. Similarly, Hobbes is just another manifestation of Calvin's rage and frustration, as well as a good person to talk to and to help avoid the monsters under the bed.

Changeling: There's a role playing game called Changeling out there made by White Wolf that deals with urban fantasy and Faeries living in the real world (blatant self plug, but if you're interested in what I'm talking about, there's a few transcripted sessions I ran of this game at http://whytry.cc/kingofroses/ ). One of the basic tenants of this game revolves around the idea that certain things can't be seen by normal people, but rather by those with enough imagination and wonder of the world around them. That's what I feel that Hobbes is more like. He, in the world of the strip, does exist all on his own. But nobody except Calvin can see the real Hobbes, only the stuffed animal that he pretends to be when others are around.

Between the two, I like the second theory more, but I'm a romantic that way.

deafgeek said:
I've got two different theories about Calvin that I like to play with, what we'll call the Tyler Durden theory and the Changeling theory.
That's an interesting theory that you've got there. I agree with you. I like the second theory, makes it seem more suspenseful and mysterious too. I'm a fan of the Calvin and Hobbes books. I don't have all since I don't have the time or place for them. I have taken some time to analyze the stories. From what I've read, it does seem that theory two is what's going on. At other times, it's theory one that's taking place. There was one story where Calvin was trying to do an escape trick. He asked Hobbes to tie him to the chair with the rope. Hobbes did but did it too tight, which was not what Calvin expected. Since it was "too tight", Calvin said that he couldn't do his escape trick. Hobbes just stood there laughing at him and refused to untie him. Calvin's father came in cuz Calvin was yelling. Calvin's father then asked him, "How did you get the ropes tied up so tight?" That's when I realized, how did it really happen? Calvin couldn't have done that to himself. That's when I thought that theory two is true.

awesome information you got! ;)

Part of these you gave is something I haven't thought of!

I think it is a combination of two. Calvin may see the real Hobbes but Calvin's parents see the stuffed tiger called "Hobbes."

tekkmortal said:
I think it is a combination of two. Calvin may see the real Hobbes but Calvin's parents see the stuffed tiger called "Hobbes."
That's what we call imaginary friends.

Like I said earlier, some things have been left unexplained proving that it was actually Hobbes doing things.

Back