Pets overpopluation (USA or Europe)

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember recalling someone said that there are pet overpopulation problem in the USA than in Europe. I found that to be untrue because from my experience when I visited Turkey, I witnessed so many cats and dogs running around loose. I've also learned that those dogs aren't spayed or neutering either. What are their laws in Europe on pet overpopulation?

Discuss!! :)

I remember recalling someone said that there are pet overpopulation problem in the USA than in Europe. I found that to be untrue because from my experience when I visited Turkey, I witnessed so many cats and dogs running around loose. I've also learned that those dogs aren't spayed or neutering either. What are their laws in Europe on pet overpopulation?

Discuss!! :)

wow, I had no idea that it's that bad in Turkey compared to here. I hardly see any running around loose here. Do you even some pet rats running around loose, too? :hmm:

Yes we do have pet overpopulation in USA due to customers' demands... and then people return the pets. We do have laws mandating sterilization and cleaning up after dog's business. We even have laws protecting the animals from cruelty and we do "hunt down" any strays. but other countries don't. Paris doesn't even require the dog owners to pick up the poop!!!! WTF! God knows how many times I've step on it in Paris....

wow, I had no idea that it's that bad in Turkey compared to here. I hardly see any running around loose here. Do you even some pet rats running around loose, too? :hmm:

No just cats and dogs. I don't know if it happens everywhere in Turkey, I can only say what I've seen in the city of Kusadasi. ;)

No just cats and dogs. I don't know if it happens everywhere in Turkey, I can only say what I've seen in the city of Kusadasi. ;)

Ah, ok just the common type of animals. Do you see that a lot in Istanbul also? I assume that Kusadasi is a run down town?

Yes we do have pet overpopulation in USA due to customers' demands... and then people return the pets. We do have laws mandating sterilization and cleaning up after dog's business. We even have laws protecting the animals from cruelty and we do "hunt down" any strays. but other countries don't. Paris doesn't even require the dog owners to pick up the poop!!!! WTF! God knows how many times I've step on it in Paris....

:laugh2: :laugh2:

I noticed nobody picked up those spray dogs or cats, I see the same ones daily. :(

Ah, ok just the common type of animals. Do you see that a lot in Istanbul also? I assume that Kusadasi is a run down town?

I haven't stepped outside of the airport in Istanbul so I wouldn't know. :dunno: Kusadasi is a busy resort with a beach. ;)

I haven't stepped outside of the airport in Istanbul so I wouldn't know. :dunno: Kusadasi is a busy resort with a beach. ;)

Ohhh, I see. I think Turkey and the other countries need to toughen up the pet laws, it sounds like it's out of control over there.

Ohhh, I see. I think Turkey and the other countries need to toughen up the pet laws, it sounds like it's out of control over there.

that's the thing... there's no pet laws. if there's some animal abuse, nobody gives a shit.

that's the thing... there's no pet laws. if there's some animal abuse, nobody gives a shit.

Yeah, that is really scary. I wouldn't want to see someone abuse a pet and no one gives a shit about it.

Cheri, have you witnessed anyone abuse a pet and nothing happens?

Cheri, have you witnessed anyone abuse a pet and nothing happens?

No, I honestly haven't seen anyone abused a pet, but I've seen those dogs and cats tearing out trash to find food and it's sad. :(

Not around here we don't especially with the cats around.....

No, I honestly haven't seen anyone abused a pet, but I've seen those dogs and cats tearing out trash to find food and it's sad. :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. Remember the cartoon called Lady and the Tramp? They don't seem to have laws with pet control and there's many street pets there, just like the real Paris I would say.

Not around here we don't especially with the cats around.....

Who knows! :hmm: Rats can be really sneaky.

:shock: No pet laws at all?!!

I highly doubt they have pet laws about it. That's why you see so many stray dogs/cats. If there were pet laws - people would take action. I doubt they even have animal shelter.

I highly doubt they have pet laws about it. That's why you see so many stray dogs/cats. If there were pet laws - people would take action. I doubt they even have animal shelter.

That's true. :)

I don't know if it's really all that differant. The problem stems from people buying pets, then the pet overstays their welcome. In Western countries they end up in Shelters. In developing countries they end up on the street. When I went to Greece their were a lot of animals wondering about. Also in Egypt. In some ways I think those that don't end up in good no kill shelters are probably worse off since they will just get killed within 7 days of being brought in. This is why I prefere the no kill shelters that make more effort to find the animal homes.

If we want to cerb this problem we have to think before getting a new pet. We should also get it from a shelter rather then just buying it. Also it would be good if people stopped breeding their animals and their were more spray and release programs for feral animals.

I don't know if it's really all that differant. The problem stems from people buying pets, then the pet overstays their welcome. In Western countries they end up in Shelters. In developing countries they end up on the street. When I went to Greece their were a lot of animals wondering about. Also in Egypt. In some ways I think those that don't end up in good no kill shelters are probably worse off since they will just get killed within 7 days of being brought in. This is why I prefere the no kill shelters that make more effort to find the animal homes.

If we want to cerb this problem we have to think before getting a new pet. We should also get it from a shelter rather then just buying it. Also it would be good if people stopped breeding their animals and their were more spray and release programs for feral animals.

it would be great and easy to have no-kill shelters if people adopt the mentality of "check shelters first then pet store." I hope Obama would do same.

Here's a couple questions...

What's the human population like in Turkey... a lot or a few?

What's the community like... huge cities or small towns?

Back