Petabyte?

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would you like to own all this? It's about $250,000 in there.

SSD1_1.jpg

SSD2_1.jpg

I learned about these today. I heard they cost around $300 but worth it unless this is something different than what I learned.

Yes, all of them are open. I just happen to walk by in the manufacturing area, When I saw that I was like "Holy Crap", poor guy who have to open 800 boxes!

I learned about these today. I heard they cost around $300 but worth it unless this is something different than what I learned.

Rio, this SSD is 1 inch type drive which is more expensive than the 2.5 inch drive and that only cost $150 and yes it's worth to replace the mechanical drive.

No, SSD is Solid State Disk - use for storage that replace the aging hard drive (HDD).

So... if it's replacing the HDD-- that means it IS for the CPU- the Central Processing Unit that holds any internal storage drive (along with motherboard, video card, wifi card, fan etc etc). Could also work as an external drive.

So... if it's replacing the HDD-- that means it IS for the CPU- the Central Processing Unit that holds any internal storage drive (along with motherboard, video card, wifi card, fan etc etc). Could also work as an external drive.

I don't understand about what are you saying.

I'm saying that HDD and SSD are storage so it can be internal or external to store the data.

Okay I'm confused...

Moonraker asked "is it for CPU?" You replied No and described it. The way I read Moonraker's question was "is the SSD for the CPU?" meaning (to me anyway) does it work with CPU or does it go in the CPU. You hadn't mentioned in your first post anything about internal or external, just replaces HDD.

I guess we interpreted his question differently.
So I guess technically we're both right.

That's lot of SSDs. I hope they are used for OS drive only, not storage drives. They aren't lasting longer than traditional HDDs.

Okay I'm confused...

Moonraker asked "is it for CPU?" You replied No and described it. The way I read Moonraker's question was "is the SSD for the CPU?" meaning (to me anyway) does it work with CPU or does it go in the CPU. You hadn't mentioned in your first post anything about internal or external, just replaces HDD.

I guess we interpreted his question differently.
So I guess technically we're both right.

I recall about some people refer CPU as computer. Of course, SSD is used for computer.

There is no right or wrong between you and me, but I'm saying that SSD is slowly replace HDD as preferred storage and it is useful for OS, not backup.

If durability on SSD improves for backup purpose so HDD will become obsolete within 5-10 years.

I believe that Apple is first company to rid of all HDD and replace with flash.

SSDs are still too new.. so time will tell if there will be something better for long term back up purposes. I hope so.

SSD is great for speed. I have 2 500 GB SSDs set up as mirrored drive and two 2 terabytes hard drives mirrored as well. So the hard drive is good for data and backup whereas SSDs is for applications and database. When you do video editing and do a final production the speed really cut down to half on SSD. I love SSD.

SSD is great for speed. I have 2 500 GB SSDs set up as mirrored drive and two 2 terabytes hard drives mirrored as well. So the hard drive is good for data and backup whereas SSDs is for applications and database. When you do video editing and do a final production the speed really cut down to half on SSD. I love SSD.

Ohh okay Hmm makes sense. I wonder if SSDs would be good for programming software (like VBNet)- I really need to get back into practicing/learning coding and automated test tools...

Ohh okay Hmm makes sense. I wonder if SSDs would be good for programming software (like VBNet)- I really need to get back into practicing/learning coding and automated test tools...
Programming? Not really necessary.... It's more of anything related to intensive processing.. like database server or e-mail server, video generator, 3D radar imagery, video game programming, 3D CAD (in term of wire frame converted to photorealistic image) and such. Other than that boot time is incredible. If you have no patience booting up Windows...SSD way to go. I can show you a video of two machines with SDD and other is regular hard drive and see how the differences in boot time.

Ahh okay gotcha. would like to see that video. By the time I get a new PC system, SSDs will be more common or cheaper lol (Probably another 5 years lol).

Back