Personal Networking Cards

Sweet_KJ

Reaction score
"Personal Networking Cards" are business cards that are used to pass out to network for jobs, etc.

I've been brainstorming, and almost came up with a result last night with help of Babyphat, but I was wondering if there could be more suggestions on what the cards should include.

For now I got my name in BOLD, of course, and then my degree earned (and school from which received), and I put down personality traits as demonstrated from a personality test ("Straightforward, Sharp-minded, Logical, & Adaptive). And put down the fact that I'm bilingual in English & ASL, then my pager, email, and phone number. Is that enough? Oh also I may put in "Associate Faculty" to "add polish" as Babyphat recommended (Yes, I'm really an associated faculty member at a community college).

I'm thinking perhaps later on once I have them in hand, I could add on stickers (on the back) listing my skills as it relates to the potential jobs I'm seeking.

If you have examples, I would love to see them, too! Thanks!

There are many designs you can do. Why don't you visit your local OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Kinkos, or Staples. I'm sure they have templates in their printing/copy department. I went to OfficeMax years ago and they gave me a few books. One of them was templates for the layout and design of the business cards. Some were landscape designs and some were portrait designs. Other books had types of paper they would print it on, graphics icons/images to use, colors to use, fonts to use, etc. Maybe, that will help you get an idea of what you could do.

It's also good to collect a bunch of various business cards from various people and see what they have.

Not to sound like I'm putting anyone down, but honestly, if I was looking for someone to network with or potentially hire for a job, I wouldn't be looking for a card with the traits you put down.

In my honest opinion as a manager who has interviewed people for jobs, I would say that you should start your own "consulting" business related to a field that you want to work in and use business cards that advertise that business. If I get a business card, it's gonna end up in a stack of other business cards anyway, but at least if I think I can use you for consulting, I'll keep it out or put it in my address book for the future.

In my opinion, all you can do is just get your name out there, and make good impressions on people. A "personal networking card" won't do anything to further that impression. At least a consulting business card for something that has value to the company may keep it out of the trash long enough for them to think about hiring you.

And do the opposite -- collect business cards and pester them for any job openings. :)

Sweet_KJ said:
Oh also I may put in "Associate Faculty" to "add polish" as Babyphat recommended (Yes, I'm really an associated faculty member at a community college).

This is the gold part right here. Professors (even just "faculty members") of any kind of skill are definitely "consulting" material. So many of my college profs were either part time professors doing semi-retirement being $$$bling bling$$$ consultants for their former companies, or full time professors working with Fortune 1000 companies earning their "consulting on the side" $$$bling bling$$$.

College professors are almost like the ideal consultants -- plenty of free time, flexible schedule, high degrees, good pay, no benefits, etc.

My brother uses a business card size like CD's for his networking cards. He's the CEO for Phoenix Systemsoft a small band of hackers turned to CNE's. He used those card-cd's to network with others at conferences, expos, whatever.

Richard

Back