Performing CI surgery and smoking...

darkangel8603

Reaction score
My regular audologist said that the CI team will not perform a surgury if i smoke, i am wondering if that is true? anybody can help me out here?

i :dunno: abt this.. but my friend has CI and smoker too... nutthin bother my friend...

Did you find out why? I think that will make more sense than just say they will not do it. I know of someone who smoked and had it done. He decided to stop because this person heard that it can damage the microphone from pollution of smoke.

Definitely should ask why. If they still will not do it, then you should either ask the CI companies if this is right or find another surgeon.

Besides, you should stop anyway. It's bad for you! LOL, but whatever you decide. I'd be interested in the team's reason.

darkangel8603 said:
My regular audologist said that the CI team will not perform a surgury if i smoke, i am wondering if that is true? anybody can help me out here?
Really, I know two people smoking quite heavy, received C.I. no problem!

Ask PurpleRose72, she is smoker and received C.I. !!

I was an ex smoker also recieved CI July 6, 2001.. but I quit smokes 2 yrs 6 mos ago :)

Wendy

I dunno, maybe he was just kidding me or trying to get me to quit. I have no idea.. whether it was a joke or he was being serious.. He had known me since i was 2 yrs old, so he might have was just saying it cuz he doesnt want me to smoke. I have no idea lol..

yah i know smoking is bad, but its damn hard to quit.. lol

darkangel8603 said:

I'm going to speak in general terms here, but it may be true. I think it's an individual's Dr's choice to not perform surgeries on smokers. I'm not 100% positive about this, but I believe smoking increases the risk of bleeding, and that might be why some Dr's will refuse to perform a surgery one someone who smokes. You also have to factor in liability. Basically, when a Dr refuses to perform a surgery, he's doing so to cover his rear. Put simply, he doesn't want to get sued by someone (a smoker in this case), if he or she has complications. So, either the Dr will tell the smoker to quit smoking or he will refuse to perform the surgery. It might sound unfair, but it's probably a good thing.

Ever thought about asking THAT question to your doctor? If you don't ask then you won't know, right? :dunno:

I'm sorry to say this but it not true at all....I would get a second thought on this one from another doctor...

Yeah, get a second opinion and show your doctor if you get that it's not true. Ask if there has been any risk associated with smoking patients. There's gotta be proof! I know smoking is damn hard, but so is losing weight? Remember that the more you smoke, the harder it is to quit later on, so think about this. Never give up searching something to help you quit.

I had a crush who said that he used a Nicotine patch and people tried to make him quit, but he said he enjoys it. You have to decide if you are choosing this more for enjoyment or more because it's really damn hard and you don't wanna try hard enough LOL. Just tellin' ya!

WBHarley, Good for ya to quit! Now you tell this young man how you quit LOL.

Hmm...I'm a smoker and obtained a CI almost 5 years ago -- they didn't mention anything about not allowing smokers to get a CI. :dunno:
Best thing is consult with the doctor again and find out more details on why they refused to give you a CI just because you're a smoker.
I do know there are some risks involved in having surgery and being a smoker -- some smokers can be affected more by athestics ( to sleep for the duration of surgery). Best to ask questions about that and get information it.

That's a new one to me. I've never heard of that before. I have friends who smoke and they still get CIs.

I doubt that smoking will affect my chances of getting a CI, cuz I have been smoking for 2 years now, so it is not as long as some smoker had smoked.
I am trying to quit, but its hard lol, and I dun think I smoke for enjoyment, I just started smoking cuz of my depression problems. I should not have but i was dumb, lol.

QUOTE=TiaraPrincess]
WBHarley, Good for ya to quit! Now you tell this young man how you quit LOL.[/QUOTE]

By the way, i am a lady ;)

LOL, sorry. I thought you might be a boy because of your Avatar. Sowwwy!!! I never know who is female or male. I have to guess sometimes! LOL 2 years smoking? Wow, stop smoking soon because it becomes another anniversary, young lady! LOL(being grandma--though I am not old : D)

Ever heard the term, "smoke coming out of your ears"? LOL!

LOL tousi

Actually, it will be all up to DarkAngel to quit on her own because I quit on my own on march 14, 2002.. Dunno why, there was no answer but IT just happen....

I woke up morning of March 14, get my daughter ready for school then bring her out to wait for the bus, I start to light up my first cig since i woke up ( I don't like to smoke right away i prefer wait like 15-30 min until I wake up fully that's the way I use to be) Anyhow,, When I taste the cig, I looked at it... It didn't taste right, so took another hit.. Again it didn't taste right I loook at it to make sure it wasn't old or so. so I Took one more hit then I decide to throw it on ground and said f... it. so I haven't smokes since March 14, 2002 8 30 AM

My husband and I did agree to quit on the day after our anniversary but I quit 2 months early and he get ssoooo grouchy soo he still does smoke. He said it is hard.. I told him just quit when he is ready!

Sorry for going :topic:

But like some of us said check with your doctor to find out what's the reason... If you don't feel he/she is right then get 2nd opinions.....

Wendy

Awesome story WB. Maybe God was watching! LOL The Angels changed the taste of your cigarettes! I know I heard a story on this lady who asked her Angels for help and she sensed. I can't remember the story exactly, but yeah.....

BTW, those who says Angels aren't real...well, they are! Don't argue with me :D.

As a vet of MANY surgeries (none for CI thou) I think maybe your doc might be a little wary about putting you under since I believe that smoking may increase the risks of post-op complications or of complications due to being put under.

Back