People are so mean!

It surprises me that we're all grown ups and discrimination is still tolerated... why? because some people are uneducated... I thought that crap was in elementary/high school.

Long ago when I worked at a Micky D's, my ex boss told another boss:

"If you can get Ashley I hearing aid that would be great!" In front of the ENTIRE co-workers.... needless to say I straightened his tie out in his office and let him know he violated his own "no putdown" rule.
:laugh2: Straightened his tie out, huh!? :lol:

IMO discrimination against the deaf happens cause it's allowed and ingrained into people. Most don't even realize that they are doing it, unfortunately.

:shock: I can't believe i'm the first person in here to pick up on this. okay, Botts..i'm gonna need you to explain.

There's a reason why. Botts explained it several times in different threads. Still scary but I'm glad she is safe.

unfortunately, my husband almost hit a guy on the cellphone: Nashville, TN seem like the #1 state of pedestrian accidents. Here's one news about it: http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=13559026 (and they need a crosswalk? where's these people's hearing?)

those MEAN people online is because they are TROLLS.

not some GOOD people, just doing EVIL things too.

Last edited:
So a few days ago I was on youtube, and I ran into a comment:

unknown poster: few years ago a deaf college student was riding his bike and then he got hit by a car and got killed b/c he couldn't hear the car coming nor the horn. so was it smart for him to choose that path rather not give the opportunity to hear in the real world? similar stories like this, this is why there should be a law for all deaf/hoh students to wear CI/hearing aids.

I felt very offended by this and wrote:

me: I DON'T agree that there should be a law for ALL deaf/hoh people to wear a CI/HA. First of all not many of us has the money or the insurance to afford either CI/HA, but also it shouldn't be forced on those who may just be happy the way we are.

I figured and hoped that it would stop there but nope. I go back to youtube to see another respond:

Unknown poster: Just for your knowledge, Wisconsin became the first state in the nation that passed the CI/HA bill to allow all of the insurances to cover these expenses so this will be easier for the parents! Surprisely, more states are going to follow this approach!

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I'm telling you the truth... Deaf Culture is already shrinking! Everyone knows that! Esp. the people who are deaf supporters but they don't want to show their admission of guilt!

I seriously cannot believe people are so vile.:mad:

Wow... Just wow. That's definitely the viewpoint of a person who feels that everyone should be the same. The fact is that people have a right to choose whether or not they want to have CIs or HAs. CIs are an even graver matter as it entails brain surgery. It's against one's basic human rights to tell them what they should or shouldn't do with their bodies, especially regarding a permanent procedure! Therefore, it is wrong, according to the law and common morals, to force someone to have a CI. If someone can't understand that, then they really need to reevaluate how they see society and whether or not they regard all people as being equal. After all, I'm sure they would not like someone telling them that they are required, by law, to have a permanent brain surgery or other major surgery. I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to that.

:shock: I can't believe i'm the first person in here to pick up on this. okay, Botts..i'm gonna need you to explain.

It isn't very dramatic. After I was grown up and no longer with my parents, I was riding a bicycle ,(determindly because my parents would not allow it) on a narrow street. I stopped and put my left foot down and a car I did not realize was there ran over my left foot. Then they sped off!

Second just in a parking lot when a car back out and we didn't see each other. I can't see anything on my right side unless I turn my head and look.

I often bump into things or am bumped into on my right side these days.

And now my left retina is getting messed up by my eye disease. I am going to have to practice being more careful.

Can you describe how Cochlear implant is a brain surgery?

It is how some people see it. Doesn't necessarily make it true, but it is some people's perception of it. It is an invasive surgery, and is close to the brain and facial muscles.

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:
give her a chance to explain herself.

if i told you that the sun revolves around the earth, would you give me a "chance to explain" myself? Or would you just know that i was wrong and speaking from ignorance?

Wirelessly posted

if i told you that the sun revolves around the earth, would you give me a "chance to explain" myself? Or would you just know that i was wrong and speaking from ignorance?

I asked the question for a reason, so please when I say give her a chance to explain.

My mistake. I had believed that the cochlea was right up against the brain and that since the skull was drilled during the surgery, that it must involve some work with the brain. After reading the confusion to the comment I made, I looked it up and saw that I'm mistaken. It's foolish on my part, especially considering how I've read books about the surgery as a child. Thank you for being non-judgmental. :)

Regardless, the surgery is invasive and whether it is ear or another type of surgery, it's not right to force a person by law to undergo it.

My mistake. I had believed that the cochlea was right up against the brain and that since the skull was drilled during the surgery, that it must involve some work with the brain. After reading the confusion to the comment I made, I looked it up and saw that I'm mistaken. It's foolish on my part, especially considering how I've read books about the surgery as a child. Thank you for being non-judgmental. :)

Regardless, the surgery is invasive and whether it is ear or another type of surgery, it's not right to force a person by law to undergo it.

Wirelessly posted

Sumaria said:

and do you know that it is super offensive to parents who choose implants for their children for people to say that they are "forcing them" and that they should have to wait until they are adults.

i agree that there should never be any law forcing a ci, and there never will be. But please, whenever you comment, realize that there are people who have chosen differently than you would and they have great reasons and they have put into their decisions hours and years of research that you have, admittedly, not.

Wirelessly posted

and do you know that it is super offensive to parents who choose implants for their children for people to say that they are "forcing them" and that they should have to wait until they are adults.

i agree that there should never be any law forcing a ci, and there never will be. But please, whenever you comment, realize that there are people who have chosen differently than you would and they have great reasons and they have put into their decisions hours and years of research that you have, admittedly, not.
Well... You can lose your negative tone....

Wirelessly posted

Of course I know that parents choose CIs for their children. My parents chose a CI for my sister when she was little. Again, I said that that people shouldn't be forced by law. I never said a thing about parents or family members. Parents are among family members and they are often the ones who make important decisions on the behalf of their immediate family members (ie. to take a brain-dead family member off life support, etc). The law shouldn't make the decisions about things like CIs and how long one can stay on life support, it's for the individual and (family members, of course).

The majority of my years, I watched my parents make the decision for my sister, learning about it, spending years in child support, watch her get her second surgery for it, etc. All of it was difficult on them and my sister. It's affected my life greatly. So I don't take kindly to someone accusing me of being ignorant of parents' struggles regarding making the decision to have their child get a CI. I have the utmost love and respect for my parents and my sister is always grateful that they've cared for her and the decisions they've made when she was little on her behalf. This is a topic discussing forcing people by law and that a person, who has no deaf children, felt should be made by law. Therefore, we are not discussing parents. So you do not know about where I come from, so don't speak for me and say that I don't know how long it takes to come to that decision. If you want to even know how I feel about CIs in general, look at my other posts in a different topic that actually pertains to CIs in a general sense.

How can people be so heartless?
How can people be so cruel?
Easy to be hard, easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings?
How can they ignore their friends?
Easy to be proud, easy to say no

Specially people who care about strangers
Who care about evil 'n social injustice
Do you only care about the bleedin' crowd?
How about a needed friend?
I need a friend

(from the Three Dog Night version of Hair song, "Easy to be Hard")

Back