Pen pals

stefan2832

Reaction score
Anyone remember Pen-Pals? This was before the era of the computer.
Do people still do this?
I had pals in Germany, Taiwan and the US. But, the letters + photos always seemed to
die out within the year. Where were your Pen-pals from?
I wonder did anyone have a Pen-Pal relationship that stood the test of time?
Just curious!

Last edited:
I had a short time with Tina from demark. She did visit my home when we both were 15. after that she and i stopped keep in touch. i would love to find her again. she's deaf as well. she is on my mind wondering how she is doing, and what is her life like now? oh boy!

I had a pen pal from Canada years ago for a few months. We met online, but decided to send each other letters. It only lasted a few months and we lost touch. :dunno:

I had a friend about 8 or so years ago that didn't have a computer, so we sent letters back and forth. It was cool

I used to have heaps of penpals from all over Europe duirng the mid/late 90s. I used to swap movies, music, comics, lollies/candy, fireworks, etc... The good old days. :)

I used to have a good pen-pal, it was a deaf dude, his name is James and he went to a deaf school in maryland or boston, not sure. Wondered what he was up to nowadays.

Oh gosh, I just remembered something. I think it was in the early eightys,
[ yes, the stone age! ]. I got a pen-pal from Ghana, in her second letter she professed her love for me, and then asked me to send her money as she was lonely and a 'walkman' [remember them?] would be just the thing to keep her company!
It seems the scammers were around even in the old days of letter writing! :lol:

I used to have a good pen-pal, it was a deaf dude, his name is James and he went to a deaf school in maryland or boston, not sure. Wondered what he was up to nowadays.
Yep, it was St Mary's school of the Deaf in Buffalo, New York.... He was known as 'Cat' and have been wondering how he has been since we lost contact.

Welcome to SMSD

Yeah, I had pen pals from Japan or other countries but they don't last long. It takes unique type of commitment to have it lasts long time I think.

Hi there,

Hmm, which James were you referring to? 1988 graduate with a brown hair and wore the glasses?
Nah man, he is about a year or two older than I, I'm 22 and this occured between 2000 and 2002. He has dirty blonde hair.

I had a lot of penpals and spent quite a fortune each month on stamps.

Do you all recall this.. FBs? Friendship Books -If you were the last person who signed the last page, you had to create 4 new FBs for the original person who created the FB.

I broke the cardinal rule of FBs.. never toss it out. I had a huge suitcase of it and in between moves, I tossed the whole thing out!

One very interesting thing is, kuifje75, a member here and I had a lot of penpals in common. We would exchange FBs however never meet each other until this site we met. We noticed we had friends in common then we brought up the subject penpals. Lo and behold, we became fast friends.

To this day, we still visit each other and he's my soul brother.. all from penpals and FBs!

I have one penpal from Australia, we've been writing since we were 15, that's more than 10 years. Wow I think I just gave up my age. Anyway, we still write the old fashioned way like in the olden days with pen and paper. lol. We talk through facebook too, but we still prefer to write letters. I look forward to her packages, and she looks forward to mine.

Back