PBS "Through Deaf Eyes"

I missed half of it, but will watch it again this Friday at 10am. My friend mentioned, "What about Heather Whitestone?" Why wasn't she on it? :hmm:

My friend mentioned, "What about Heather Whitestone?" Why wasn't she on it? :hmm:

Yeah, I had thought of the same thing...I also was surprised that they didn't mentioned about William "Dummy" Hoy who was the first deaf professional ballplayer during late 1880's... oh well.

I just watched the show last night. I really enjoyed it! I thought that it touched on a lot of the popular subjects and went in to good detail about them. I also loved the movies made by Deaf directors and actors. I thought it was great insight. Especially the one about the guy who has 2 cochlear implants. I thought the films were so straight forward and affective.

I just saw this program. I taped it too. It was very interesting. They interviewed alot of Deaf people from many different professions. I am in ASL 4 right now and was impressed with the information given. I've taken a deaf history and culture class as part of the interpreter program at my college and everything they showed tonight was covered in my class in some way. It was great to see the video footage of DPN and the old silent ASL films. I had read about them and seen stills taken from them but actually see the footage was great. I also enjoyed the films made by deaf filmmakers today that they interspersed throughout the program. What creativity! It was great. I think this is one program that can be used to show deaf life to the hearing world in a very positive way.

saw the movie it was very intresting but the ending cemented it! i'm glad i watched it!

now those wooden *DEAF* hand carving where can i get those? I WANT THOSE!

I missed half of it, but will watch it again this Friday at 10am. My friend mentioned, "What about Heather Whitestone?" Why wasn't she on it? :hmm:

Very few people NOT on the east coast were interviewed. You'll notice most interviews were set in the DC/Maryland/Boston/Rochester NY area. I don't recall anyone filmed who was further west of Rochester other than Marlee Matlin. That leaves a very, I guess for a lack of a better word, Gallaudet centric perspective - a disproportionate number of Gally alumni or professors were interviewed. Fred Weiner, I King Jordan, Bernard Bragg, Carolyn McCaskill, and countless others that I can't think off off the top of my head.

It didn't show in my area for some reason. They showed 25th anniversary of Elvis Death concert instead!! I will call and complain!

If you've got an HD-PBS station it might have only aired in HD. Our local PBS station did that. Regular PBS was showing something different, only HD-PBS showed Through Deaf Eyes. Good thing I have HD.

I agree it took a pretty carefully neutral stance on most topics, but that seems appropriate. I thought it was very well done with lots of excellent archival footage. Amazing to see some of those really old movies of signers, and also video of NTD. I thought it was great viewing for people who have no idea there is such a thing as deaf history and Deaf culture.

One thing that shocked me: I had no idea that NAD banned black people from 1925 until the 1960s.

Using the sign for "game", I inverted one fist.....for this documentary.:fingersx:

I saw it, it is very interested! I enjoyed it, but funny I almost.. fell asleep, but I didnt I tried to STAYED WAKE. I watched it all it is very good. I cant wait to a DVD coming up because I was like :jaw: wow it is so awesome!

...One thing that shocked me: I had no idea that NAD banned black people from 1925 until the 1960s.
That shocked me, too. I guess I expected one oppressed minority group to be more sympathetic to another oppressed minority group.

Excellent production values. However, I'm confused -- they say this was completed before the 2006 protests. But they refer to I King Jordan as a "former" administrator in the program. Obviously, he was on his way out at the time of taping and I guess that they knew he would be done by the time this aired, so maybe they just planned for it knowing he wouldn't be President anymore at that time. If that was the case, I'm surprised we didn't see any interviews with Jane Fernandes, unless she pulled permission later.
No surprise because the documentary was made before the protest I believe...
and the recent protest is not good material to be included in this documentary so the first protest is Deaf World friendly material... reason? The recent protest got deaf community divided. *shrug*

JMHO!

The oppresion of African Americans was normal until the 1960's. So it doesn't surprise me. If everyone remembers, before the 60's, the US had a very firm segregation policy. Giving African Americans the right to vote and all that changed things here in the US.. And I'm sure that deaf white people were thought of as better than African Americans.. before desegregation.

No offense to anyone. Just trying to show how it was before the 1960's.

You have a valid point there, Dennis. I have wondered about the same thing - It is also possible that PBS decided not to get Jane Fernandes in the film because it could very well send an uproar in the deaf community or what-a-not.

I have also noticed that it was showing the 1988 Deaf President Now protest but it did not show the recent protest at Gallaudet University. Granted, I realize that PBS was progressing the video in 2006 (and I assume, it was during the recent protest) - however that might be the reason why it was not mentioned to get Jane Fernandes in it as well.

I recall, I. King Jordan said in the video that everyone was deaf in his/her own way. It seemed as if he was a bit reluctant on the film not to say anything more than he wanted to.

On the other hand, I watched the show on the TV last night for 2 hours and I must say, It was very educational, indeed. I think the film was trying to be 'neutral' since there are a lot of controversial topics that is among the deaf community.

Here's something interesting to read - This is a discussion guide/discussion question that is provided on PBS. org - It's worth reading. Here's the link - Through Deaf Eyes . Resources . Discussion Guide | PBS
I think PBS has no hands in producing this show. So they don't dictate what to include or not include.

see this film credits and scroll to the bottom.. :D
Through Deaf Eyes . About the Film . Film Credits | PBS

It is just Documentary FOR PBS not BY PBS.

Very few people NOT on the east coast were interviewed. You'll notice most interviews were set in the DC/Maryland/Boston/Rochester NY area. I don't recall anyone filmed who was further west of Rochester other than Marlee Matlin. That leaves a very, I guess for a lack of a better word, Gallaudet centric perspective - a disproportionate number of Gally alumni or professors were interviewed. Fred Weiner, I King Jordan, Bernard Bragg, Carolyn McCaskill, and countless others that I can't think off off the top of my head.
this documentary is made by WETA in association with Gallaudet Go FIGURE!

If you've got an HD-PBS station it might have only aired in HD. Our local PBS station did that. Regular PBS was showing something different, only HD-PBS showed Through Deaf Eyes. Good thing I have HD.
Here it was shown twice on Regular PBS and twice on HD PBS

Anyway, here's a cirtic of this show that appeared on YouTube;

[yt]97vZRTDq7Og[/yt]

after viewing this vlog then I watched the documentary again, ahhh I somewhat see what he's seeing ... hmm.. oh well.. although look at the last part of this page; Through Deaf Eyes . About the Film | PBS
hmm.....
on that same page, there's transcript in PDF format for you to read if the caption was scrambled..

Giving African Americans the right to vote and all that changed things here in the US.

The 15th Amendment was passed in 1870. The civil rights movement was in the 1960s.

I'm well aware of the oppression of blacks in the U.S. What surprised me was that an organization like NAD, comprised of people who are so sensitive to the subject of oppression, would engage in such tactics, as Reba said.

The 15th Amendment was passed in 1870. The civil rights movement was in the 1960s.

I'm well aware of the oppression of blacks in the U.S. What surprised me was that an organization like NAD, comprised of people who are so sensitive to the subject of oppression, would engage in such tactics, as Reba said.
At that time, all of NAD members were all white and they may be branded as traitors if they accepted colored, of course that is before segregation. Maybe they just cared about themselves, white people only at that time.

At start of Civil Right movement, I think those member of that time opened their eyes.

in one instance where they talk about black's sign language which was frowned upon and black had to use white's sign (after the segregation ) hmm..

JHMO though... :D

Last edited:
Back