Paying a Baby-sitter

Levonian

Reaction score
Can you guys help me out with something? I need some information to help a friend. My friend is going to have some down time for the next 3 weeks while her employer is out of town. She could use some extra work to make ends meet. I can arrange to get her some baby-sitting work, but the parents want to know in advance how much my friend would charge. Since my friend is deaf and has trouble using the phone, I am acting as a go-between for the parents. What I need to know is this: what is the typical going rate for a baby-sitter these days? What is a reasonable amount that the parents should expect to pay? I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out here—thanks.

Hi, Levonian! :wave:

How old is the baby? Or children, or child? A reasonable rate these days, I would assume, per child, would be 8-10 dollars an hour, but I think you mean overnight...maybe thy can make arrangements if they're going by day and not by hour...50 bucks a day? I don't know, it's been a long time since I have baby-sat...and now I do it for no pay...

Mommyhood, ya know. :)

Malfoyish

Levonian said:
Can you guys help me out with something? I need some information to help a friend. My friend is going to have some down time for the next 3 weeks while her employer is out of town. She could use some extra work to make ends meet. I can arrange to get her some baby-sitting work, but the parents want to know in advance how much my friend would charge. Since my friend is deaf and has trouble using the phone, I am acting as a go-between for the parents. What I need to know is this: what is the typical going rate for a baby-sitter these days? What is a reasonable amount that the parents should expect to pay? I’d really appreciate it if you could help me out here—thanks.
Mostly I used to pay 6 to 8 dollars an hour..
Your own decision which the best interest to pay babysister's cost reasonable amount.. (follow in your insincts)

Malfoyish said:
Hi, Levonian! :wave:

How old is the baby?

Hi to you, Malfoyish! :wave:

Thanks for the fast reply—I need this info real fast. The child is about 6 or 7 years old, and is a high-functioning autistic child. I think the father wants somebody for both days and evenings.

Levonian said:
Hi to you, Malfoyish! :wave:

Thanks for the fast reply—I need this info real fast. The child is about 6 or 7 years old, and is a high-functioning autistic child. I think the father wants somebody for both days and evenings.

Well, it might also depend on how much the father is able to afford. Is this child relatively easy to take care of? Autism is pretty rough on parents alone...can't imagine that a babysitter would have it any easier.

I would suggest that the father sit down with the babysitter forst, see how the child and caretaker get along...and make a call based on that. If the child is naturally difficult, it would be easier on the babysitter to tolerate it if she was getting paid a little (not too much) more...if the kid is well behaved, then maybe 8-10 dollars an hour...something to that extent...or...just ask the babysitter what rates she prefers...

Hope this helps a little bit??

Malfoyish

Well, I have a babysitter for My Boys When I work I Paid For Jordan 100.00 a week for babysitting sometimes 80.00 a week. My Sister Paid me to watch her girls 30.00 a day and they are 1 and 3 yrs old. Some People do not charge by an Hour Not with me they don't. They go by the Week.....

It Is Depends on What she would do for The Children if needed to drop off At School or Pick up From School Or Feed them Snacks from her home.. that would be Extra Charge Most Babysitter Charge 5.00/6.00 an Hour near My hometown.. Some are Expenstive..

I Paid for Mon to Friday 100.00 a Week 9 Hours a day. For One Child Who used to be a baby to toddler Now it reduced to lower amount.. It depends on what ages she is going to take care of....

Malfoyish said:
Well, it might also depend on how much the father is able to afford. Is this child relatively easy to take care of? Autism is pretty rough on parents alone...can't imagine that a babysitter would have it any easier.

My friend is a medical professional and has extensive experience with special needs children, so the autism isn’t going to be an issue for her. The parents are pretty well off, but they’re kind of spoiled because Grandma has always done it for free. But now Grandma is saying "I’ve had enough of this shit, I have a life too." So now the parents are kind of stymied. I just talked to Grandma about 2 hours ago, and they want somebody ASAP. But they seem to want an immediate answer on the price. Based on what you’ve already told me, I’m going to e-mail my friend right now and suggest she say $10/hr. I know she’ll be cool with that if it’s cash under the table. What do you think? It seems reasonable to me.

Sounds good, Levonian...but you might want to suggest to your friend that she can first say that she is looking in the neighborhood of $10.00 an hour, but she WILL take $8 if $10 is too steep.

People like flexible babysitters, or at least when it comes to rates...

Malfoyish

Levonian said:
My friend is a medical professional and has extensive experience with special needs children, so the autism isn’t going to be an issue for her. The parents are pretty well off, but they’re kind of spoiled because Grandma has always done it for free. But now Grandma is saying "I’ve had enough of this shit, I have a life too." So now the parents are kind of stymied. I just talked to Grandma about 2 hours ago, and they want somebody ASAP. But they seem to want an immediate answer on the price. Based on what you’ve already told me, I’m going to e-mail my friend right now and suggest she say $10/hr. I know she’ll be cool with that if it’s cash under the table. What do you think? It seems reasonable to me.

Well, Be Honest 10 An Hour is Way too Much for One Child. But U can try it out I doubt that someone would go for it..Its not hard to babysit and I would not go for 10.00 an Hour.. I have babysit and worked at the Daycare and They do not pay me 10.00 an Hour..I got paid 6.50 an Hour at Daycare watching 15 Children with me and This Other Daycare Teacher. I worked With the Toddlers/ Potty Trainers.

I don't really know. I've babysat my cousin a couple times. I've also housesat for a few people as well. My sister was a babysitter and she got paid very good money. In fact, they once paid her with a ticket to Florida! Whoa! :eek:

Cheri said:
Well, Be Honest 10 An Hour is Way too Much for One Child. But U can try it out I doubt that someone would go for it..Its not hard to babysit and I would not go for 10.00 an Hour.. I have babysit and worked at the Daycare and They do not pay me 10.00 an Hour..I got paid 6.50 an Hour at Daycare watching 15 Children with me and This Other Daycare Teacher. I worked With the Toddlers/ Potty Trainers.

Well, I just talked to my friend and she said $10 would be about as low as she would go for a special needs child. Hopefully, the parents will go for it. I think they will, since he’s not a normal child. As Malfoyish pointed out, the rules change a little when the customer runs around flapping his hands and repeating everything you say. Also, this is Southern California we’re talking about here—the minimum wage here is $6.75. You can’t even get a Mexican day laborer around here for less than $12 these days. I’m going to try to hook them up tomorrow and see what they can work out.

WoW, $10.00 an hour is Expensive for one child....even with special needs....U know I only pay $2.50 an hour when my first son was born and he was 2....which they called it ' terrible two'....and that alot more work watching a two years old with the cost like this per hour....

I could never get a babysitter for the cost of $10.00 an hour... :eek:

Actually $10/hr for a babysitter in Southern California is a pretty good deal, especially for someone who has the medical expertise and ability to handle an autistic child.

Sorry, that's how California is lately...Everything is expensive!

Ohhh....Thanks SweetKJ!...I never been to Southern California , but I would love to visit there some day!... :thumb:

i'm shocked some of you think that much money.. to me that's way too much..

I took my son to daycare from age 2 months to 1 year old overnight child care.. they charge $32 per night while i work over night
from 1 year old to present.. i work 4 pm to 12 30 am.. and weekday child care charge me $30 per day.. and weekend child care charge me $27 per day..

Reason that child care is cheaper in a daycare facility is because there are more clients to watch, and they're still bringing in more money (say it's 30 bucks a day for a child, and there are 10 children being watched at the day care, it's 300 bucks a day)... but for a single, at home babysitter it's a bit more. Does that make sense?

Sweet_KJ said:
Reason that child care is cheaper in a daycare facility is because there are more clients to watch, and they're still bringing in more money (say it's 30 bucks a day for a child, and there are 10 children being watched at the day care, it's 300 bucks a day)... but for a single, at home babysitter it's a bit more. Does that make sense?
yeah it makes sense.. thanks :D

probally $10 an hour sounds like a good deal.. it just only depends what area you live.. richies.. incomes, etc..

damn, ya all selfish for money :ugh2:

if my families ask me babysit their kids. it's free cause they are my family other than my family, i charge them like bunch as their income for per yr

some of my friends who doesn't need $$$ as long take their turn have babysit their kids.. then mine babysit theirs.. friend can babysit my kids too..
Always used to be sharing all of my buddies.. :)

Depend if my friends will not able babysit my kids so might find babysit as hire for a night.. I prefer who have cerficate of babysitter who is Teenagers. Of course I might hard trust who teenagers who loves bring their boyfriend or hiding party crush. *sigh* Pretty scary..
I'd rather my buddies have babysit my kids.. where more safer for us worry-free.

Back