Pat's (bbaseballboy) Surgery log

Agh not another "research-on-whats-best-for-my-money" research! I'll check out the forums, but check this out, Audio cable is amazing because no background at all and 100% sound quality because it's "right there". If a headphone cannot match the audio cable's sound quality, then the headphone is missing out. I'm not familiar with headphones and what's best on the market, but the audio cable, I bet, is a surefire on beating any headphones and not one hearing person can take advantage of this (unless some technology magically can make them hear nothing but music/gaming), so...

Am I right? :hmm: If a headphone can "match" the audio cable in sound quality then great must buy since no need to set up and use the audio cable. Background noise is everywhere we go and... you know. Tell me if I'm wrong. I could be so terribly wrong that headphones today could beat the audio cable and beyond... (which would be awesome thing to find out) :dunno:

The prices of these audio cables are so goddamn expensive because theres only one company that makes it for your specific processor. I think direct audio cable is like $300 i think... better off getting a really high end headphones.

Audio cable are better when it comes to very direct listening, but wearing it for a very long time will give you headaches.

I honestly think headphones sound better than direct audio since they aren't "direct" sound.

I can help you out with headphones if your still interested.

The prices of these audio cables are so goddamn expensive because theres only one company that makes it for your specific processor. I think direct audio cable is like $300 i think... better off getting a really high end headphones.

Audio cable are better when it comes to very direct listening, but wearing it for a very long time will give you headaches.

I honestly think headphones sound better than direct audio since they aren't "direct" sound.

I can help you out with headphones if your still interested.

I'm still definitely interested on headphones! It's just I need more time with my Harmony and the audio cable. Would like to do back-to-back comparisons before I see if my headphones are close to audio cable in sound quality otherwise I'd look out for the ones you listed. :)

I'm really digging those HD595 in the way it looks and the reviews on it, but open headphones mean someone close to me would hear it too and get annoyed, so... :lol:

Think there's a closed one that also looks like the HD595 in design? is the cans really big? It looks perfect on Amazon which reminds me not to believe what you're seeing in the pictures on the internet because it might look really bad in reality! :lol:

EDIT: Hey look at "rigs" in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/397869/pictures-of-your-computer-rigs-post-them-here
Looks like I'm missing out on something here... fancy stuff. :P

I'm still definitely interested on headphones! It's just I need more time with my Harmony and the audio cable. Would like to do back-to-back comparisons before I see if my headphones are close to audio cable in sound quality otherwise I'd look out for the ones you listed. :)

I'm really digging those HD595 in the way it looks and the reviews on it, but open headphones mean someone close to me would hear it too and get annoyed, so... :lol:

Think there's a closed one that also looks like the HD595 in design? is the cans really big? It looks perfect on Amazon which reminds me not to believe what you're seeing in the pictures on the internet because it might look really bad in reality! :lol:

EDIT: Hey look at "rigs" in this thread: Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! - Head-Fi.org Community
Looks like I'm missing out on something here... fancy stuff. :P

There is a closed verison that I really recommend but its not the same design as the hd595. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A900-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B0006VT1TY"]The ATH a700/900s[/ame].
To be honest, whos gonna be near you when you wear these headphones (and im telling you, you will be shocked by the size of the cans and would only wear it in your home.

How do I know all of this stuff, cause I'm a computer enthusiastic lol. I actually built my own rig, had a perfect sound system until my AB broke :(. At least I still have a kickass rig lol

On the Sennheiser side my HD380 is a closed can as will the older version HD280. The HD380 is made more for professionals use in the industry. It has high clamping pressure so the fit needs to be determine if it will work for the person.

When I go to concerts or to the symphony I miss the openness of sound that I will not get from a neckloop or even a direct connection it is just not the same. My neckloop will sound like that the instruments are very close to my ears and not like seating out in the hall. I even have dedicated amps just for headphone use at home.

If you like the On the Sennheiser side my HD380 is a closed can as will the older version HD280. The HD380 is made more for professionals use in the industry. It has high clamping pressure so the fit needs to be determine if it will work for the person.

When I go to concerts or to the symphony I miss the openness of sound that I will not get from a neckloop or even a direct connection it is just not the same. My neckloop will sound like that the instruments are very close to my ears and not like seating out in the hall. I even have dedicated amps just for headphone use at home.

If you like the HD595 which are open cans but can not afford them, one option is to get the HD555 and do mods that will bring it up to the HD595 level. The Denon 2000 will give a bit more bass for music and the Sennheiser tend to be better for voice but that just me.

On the Sennheiser side my HD380 is a closed can as will the older version HD280. The HD380 is made more for professionals use in the industry. It has high clamping pressure so the fit needs to be determine if it will work for the person.

If you like the HD595 which are open cans but can not afford them, one option is to get the HD555 and do mods that will bring it up to the HD595 level. The Denon 2000 will give a bit more bass for music and the Sennheiser tend to be better for voice but that just me.

Checked it out and looks great and has closed cans. The Denon 2000 is pricey (a good $349) Why?!? Doesn't seems to be on sale too. Ehhh *cringe*

Is open can really that bad? I gotcha try it at some audio store like Best buy (lol) before I dish out a few hundreds.

And bbaseballboy, you're right. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/ is a good site to get lost in before buying a headphone. :lol: I really need to look more since my Cochlear has no t-mic and AB has one, kinda weird from this perspective. Afraid that headphones I buy would be the same as the ones I have now.

The Denon 2000 was only $200 a few months ago on Amazon. There has been big price increases on certain items lately. I brought my Stax 20 years ago and still in prime condition at 1/4 of the cost today. Just try some headphones and see if it worth spending money on. Sometimes I go the local Guitar City and check a few things out.

I'm getting open cans. Its not "bad", just what you want as features in headphones.

Best buy will most likely not have any of these cans, but something like guitar center will, some record store.

What was your score with the previous Implant?

I cant really remember but for years before it broke, it was above 90's.

At my last visit (with no mapping for 6 months), i scored a 96% words

Right now, since I love my current map (its a plan that I developed in which improves my hearing each time). I will go every 6-12 months or when I strongly feel like I need to improve the map, like recently I had to go cause my freq were too high. But I been using the same map for about a year now, and I been just improving it by increasing current sounds and volumes/freq. I feel like theres a "g-spot" that is so fine tuned.
I still miss my old map I had for the harmony, it was the same "map" for about 3-4 years, just greatly improved fine tuning.

96% is a huge score. I bet not all normal hearing people can get his score :P.

What are things that you are still missing though having the implant? Can you hear birds? What about speech of little kids ? TV ? Radio ...etc?

bbaseballboy123, I just found this threat. You're quite famous in the world of CIs. I'm considering one soon and am stuck between CA and AB and your name popped up. It has now been about 3 years for you... do you have a preference?

Back