Pat's (bbaseballboy) Surgery log

TH Med-El OPUS 2 Processor has a remote as well but the OPUS 2 Processor has no buttons or controls on it and it is more depended on the remote that has no display and it is one way communications instead of two way as with the N5. The N5 remote made it a bit easier for me to adjust the sensitivity when I go out to concerts and easier to change it back. However the N5 remote was also designed with parents in mind so they can check the status of the processor battery level coil communications and even if the microphone is picking up sounds. It is nice to have choices.

I use the remote a lot, I'm 16 days post activation so I'm still new, I love the idea of the remote as I play with the sensitivity which is for background noise, I reduce it or increase depend on the situation, like for example to understand speech more in noisy situation I noticed that when I increase the sensitivity over 13-15 and decrease the volume speech understanding is way better, same situation when I'm watching TV, even at 2 weeks post op I'm able to watch TV (mostly CNN, Fox news, Seinfeld, some courts shows) WITHOUT caption, I'm stunned about this, I understand between 65-80% of what is being said and I do play with the sensitivity which I noticed that I can understand more when I increase it to at least 11 to 15 may be, if it's less than 11 then it will be hard, I had one mapping session so I guess I'm still so new to this.
I don't like to touch my processor in public and search for buttons like a blind person, the remote is so neat, LOVE it.
N5 has 2 ways (or even 3) to use the phone, you can use it without changing anything, just put the cell phone up to your ear and talk, of course you need to put it a little higher to get the right spot, or you can program it so it can switch to tcoil automatically when the phone rings, none of the other brand have this as far as I know, or you can touch the remote and switch on the tcoil, the automatic toil switch is so neat as it do it automatically and all you have to do is hold the phone next to your ear, that's it.
For phone I'm using the phone directly on the processor, did not like the tcoil as my audi did not want to program it for me, she thought I'm still very early, even though I have used the phone extensively before my CI, she set it on 50/50 which I don't like, also I found a nice wireless loopset from Nokia, called wireless bluetooth LP5, very nice, I paired it with my Iphone and I listen to Ipod with it, no need to use the direct cable, sound quality is very good, you will need to switch the processor on Tcoil, you can also use the Nokia Wireless bluetooth for phone.
I tried Hatis Freedom headset which I used to use with my HA, but it's kind of bulky as it needs to be set right next to the processor but the good thing about it is that you can keep it as a back up headset as it needs no charging, no battery, I don't like the sound quality with it much but I had it before my CI so I keep it in my purse anyway, just in case.

I have several headphones at home. I have my two Sennheiser headphones my HD555 and HD380. I also have the Denon 2000 headphones which are stronger in the bass for music but I like my Sennheiser for vocals and for movies with heavy dialog. My high end headphones is my Stax SR5 headphone that have the best in clarity but not as much dynamic range as with my other headphones.
I understand that the AB Harmony also has a top microphone in addition to the T-Mic and can be mixed together and I wonder if the users report any benefit in that. I understand that AB Harmony also have a built in Tele coil as well. I normally use the Tele coil on my N5 for music on the go when I travel with a MP3 player so that all the background noise is not being pickup. I do not have the option of using direct input on my other ear with a hearing aid.

I have several headphones at home. I have my two Sennheiser headphones my HD555 and HD380. I also have the Denon 2000 headphones which are stronger in the bass for music but I like my Sennheiser for vocals and for movies with heavy dialog. My high end headphones is my Stax SR5 headphone that have the best in clarity but not as much dynamic range as with my other headphones. .

John, you seem that you have experience in the headphones, I never used them with HA as they would whistle, now I have the CI I want to try one, which one do you think I should start with?, I checked Sennheiser web site, here a link, this headset looks nice, it can be folded, wireless and can be used for phone and Ipod (has a mic)
Sennheiser USA - Bluetooth Stereo Headset MM 100 Mobile Phone - Wireless Stereo Headset - Personal Audio
which one of the 3 you used or any headphones is best?

The Bluetooth Headphone you mention is more designed to be portable and being a Bluetooth can be used for your cell phone. That way both of my ears will hear the conversation instead of one. The tricky part is finding headphones that will be conformable on the ear with the processor on without jamming the processor against the head. This is why I like big headphones that go around the ear not on the ear.
For best sound quality nothing on the market can beat the Stax for detail. However the Stax requires a special power supply that is tied to AC power and uses a six pin connector and it is strictly used for CD playback.
My Sennheiser HD380 is what I chose for best sound isolation when there is noise in the house like the washing machine or dishwasher going or my next door neighbor is making a racket. However the headphone has quite a bit of clamping pressure and I have to adjust it carefully as not to press on my processor.
My Sennheiser HD555 and the Denon are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours at a time and great for movies as well. The issue with the Sennheiser HD555 is that it has no sound isolation and will pick up sounds in the room.
For portability and outdoors use, I use an audio neck loop. The audio neck-loop can be connected to a MP3 player or to my cell phone and also have a microphone on the cable to talk back on the phone. It is great for bicycling and being mostly 100% on T coil I do not hear the wind. as much.
I chose my headphones to the application I am using it for.

Yeah, the headphones we are talking about are mostly made for home/gaming/music. They are larger than they seem and would not be conformable to wear in public as you would look like a complete loser and theyre somewhat heavy.

Thats why I wear audio cable in public because it blocks out the background if you wish and its very sleek/portable and works very well. I dont even have a high tech phone (because of g0ddamn data plans required) so I dont have access to bluetooth or t-coil. Because doesnt borther me because I already have an audio wire that takes 20 secs to set up and works perfectly.

I'm going to be ordering the ATH-AD700 soon because I think I'm going to like them slightly better since they are slightly bigger than my harx700's and obviously sound better since they have better driver chip.

John: I did use to have the HD555, LOVED THEM. Amazing for gaming, especially Counterstrike source. You were able to hear every step in the game, and i was hearing sounds I never heard before. Sadly I sold it to save money for my truck. Like I said, I am planning getting the ATH ad700 soon but after a get a new keyboard haha.

FYI: I would never go with wireless stuff (headphones, keyboards/mouse, speakers) because they lose quality when transmitting data from the device to the headphone, keyboard/mouse and speakers. Which is why I dont recommend getting the bluetooth headset your looking at, they are to big of a pain the butt.

Heres a few videos of my cans:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0DVvw2aMiQ]YouTube - Unboxing JVC HA-RX700 cans[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jqpql19_48]YouTube - First impression on JVC HA-RX700 cans[/ame]

LOL bbaseballboy123 about the loser comment, haha, you so funny
Thanks John

LOL bbaseballboy123 about the loser comment, haha, you so funny
Thanks John

I'm not trying to be funny. You go buy a can set and come back here with a picture of you wearing them in public. People are going to look at you like "What the hell is he wearing that in public for?". Theyre a lot bigger than the crap dre-beats that a few high schoolars wear and those look funny on someone in public.

If you watch through the whole video, you will notice that the headphones are designed to go around the ear, padding around the ear, and the padding actually rests on the processors, so like john said, its hard to find a good can set that is confortable to wear for a few hours (which I can be at the computer gaming for 2 hours). The[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0"] HD595 cans by sennheiser [/ame]are known to be really confortable and I am considering getting them someday time this year.

I have not watch the videos you have posted but I was picturing myself walking around in streets with these huge headsets, yes it's funny watching people looking at me like an idiot, on other note, some of these headsets are great as you said for gaming, I don't play games like you, how old are you?, 17, 19?
Let me go watch the video you've posts, thanks

I have not watch the videos you have posted but I was picturing myself walking around in streets with these huge headsets, yes it's funny watching people looking at me like an idiot, on other note, some of these headsets are great as you said for gaming, I don't play games like you, how old are you?, 17, 19?
Let me go watch the video you've posts, thanks

well i use them whenever Im at the computer feeling in the mood to hear whatever, so it applies for everything but yes its awesome with games, better than speakers.
17 here.

Yeah, the headphones we are talking about are mostly made for home/gaming/music. They are larger than they seem and would not be conformable to wear in public as you would look like a complete loser and theyre somewhat heavy.

Thats why I wear audio cable in public because it blocks out the background if you wish and its very sleek/portable and works very well. I dont even have a high tech phone (because of g0ddamn data plans required) so I dont have access to bluetooth or t-coil. Because doesnt borther me because I already have an audio wire that takes 20 secs to set up and works perfectly.

I'm going to be ordering the ATH-AD700 soon because I think I'm going to like them slightly better since they are slightly bigger than my harx700's and obviously sound better since they have better driver chip.

John: I did use to have the HD555, LOVED THEM. Amazing for gaming, especially Counterstrike source. You were able to hear every step in the game, and i was hearing sounds I never heard before. Sadly I sold it to save money for my truck. Like I said, I am planning getting the ATH ad700 soon but after a get a new keyboard haha.

The JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone is different than the HARX700 which is the one you have and considering you getting the ATH-AD700, would the HARX900 be as good as that one and better than the HARX700?

Can you please post a picture of the direct connect audio cable you wear? :)

And this headphone I have is actually the Dr. dre Beats headphone (Omg just found out as I type, my Dad paid $350...) and I notice it's pretty good sound quality, but you say they're crap. Maybe I won't be disappointed with the HARX900? Wow I'm gonna be more careful with those Dr. dre. :shock:

Your Dad paid $350 for Dr. dre Beats headphones? Oh my God!!:shock::shock:

And this headphone I have is actually the Dr. dre Beats headphone (Omg just found out as I type, my Dad paid $350...) and I notice it's pretty good sound quality, but you say they're crap. Maybe I won't be disappointed with the HARX900? Wow I'm gonna be more careful with those Dr. dre. :shock:

The JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone is different than the HARX700 which is the one you have and considering you getting the ATH-AD700, would the HARX900 be as good as that one and better than the HARX700?

Can you please post a picture of the direct connect audio cable you wear? :)

Well I got the harx700 over harx900 because I was told many times by a computer forum that they were better with the bass, and I was purely looking for headphones for everything (music, gaming, movies) and the harx700 were the better choice over harx900 since the harx900 were designed purely for music.

I'm considering either ATH AD700s or HD595 because I think theyre slightly bigger and they are the next level headphones. Harx700/900 are for entry level, and AD700/hd595 are high ended headphones. Theres deff. some higher ended headphones, but out of my budget range: if your really interested, go over to head-fi.org

Pictures below. The longer wire is the lossless wire (notice it has a little block which I assume filters the sounds, and the smaller wire is just a small wire without lossless feature. The small one must be hooked up to the longer one to use the longer wire, but I use only the small one to school a lot.

Your Dad paid $350 for Dr. dre Beats headphones? Oh my God!!:shock::shock:

Same reaction

Dr.dre cans are good but not for the price! Theyre worth $60-80, deff not $350. Its just a marketing thing, where they make it seem really awesome and well worth the price, but its not, but its not crap crap, its crap for the price. If it were $60-80, i would say theyre good.

Pictures:

Well I got the harx700 over harx900 because I was told many times by a computer forum that they were better with the bass, and I was purely looking for headphones for everything (music, gaming, movies) and the harx700 were the better choice over harx900 since the harx900 were designed purely for music.

I'm considering either ATH AD700s or HD595 because I think theyre slightly bigger and they are the next level headphones. Harx700/900 are for entry level, and AD700/hd595 are high ended headphones. Theres deff. some higher ended headphones, but out of my budget range: if your really interested, go over to head-fi.org

Pictures below. The longer wire is the lossless wire (notice it has a little block which I assume filters the sounds, and the smaller wire is just a small wire without lossless feature. The small one must be hooked up to the longer one to use the longer wire, but I use only the small one to school a lot.

Same reaction

Dr.dre cans are good but not for the price! Theyre worth $60-80, deff not $350. Its just a marketing thing, where they make it seem really awesome and well worth the price, but its not, but its not crap crap, its crap for the price. If it were $60-80, i would say theyre good.

Pictures:

Thank you so much for the audio cable pictures! I'm liking those HARX700s :)

I read more about the Dr Dre Beats and ehh, I hear it's not the best sound quality on the market. With my AB harmony, I'm gonna really need pretty much the best sound quality on the market, so I can practice at best potential. Gotta catch those sounds I'm missing and learn it, so...

How you like the Audio cables comparing to your headphones? Is the audio cable pretty much the best to hear anything since no background noises AT ALL or even with audio cable, there's sounds we're missing that would be heard only with high-quality head phones?

I really gotta try the audio cable today...

EDIT: Are you gonna buy those HD595s? Those are the best looking headphones I've ever seen... :drool: Wrote the name down and will check out more on it.. :)

I was told that the longer wire that come with Cochlear (the one you called the lossless wire) is for TV, we need to connect this cable with the little one that is called direct connect cable (you posted pic of it), I'm not sure about this as my good TV broke and I'm using an older one like 10 years old TV, very heavy and can't move it to see it's connection in the back, LOL
I do use the direct connect cable with Iphone and laptop - love it

Thank you so much for the audio cable pictures! I'm liking those HARX700s :)

I read more about the Dr Dre Beats and ehh, I hear it's not the best sound quality on the market. With my AB harmony, I'm gonna really need pretty much the best sound quality on the market, so I can practice at best potential. Gotta catch those sounds I'm missing and learn it, so...

How you like the Audio cables comparing to your headphones? Is the audio cable pretty much the best to hear anything since no background noises AT ALL or even with audio cable, there's sounds we're missing that would be heard only with high-quality head phones?

I really gotta try the audio cable today...

EDIT: Are you gonna buy those HD595s? Those are the best looking headphones I've ever seen... :drool: Wrote the name down and will check out more on it.. :)

Im really liking the audio cable mainly for portable since it can block out background noise. I don't think they miss any sounds headphones would miss. In fact, both dont even miss sounds.

If I am using the audio cable at the computer, then its probably because I want to really listen in a video game or a video with a lot of talking. If i want to watch a movie or listen to music (at home) it would be the headphones now. If i was tooo lazy to set up my audio cable, or i dont really care, headphones it is. Audio cable provides the MOST DIRECT sound but sometimes its just too much direct that it becomes unenjoyable. Thats why I see myself trying to get used to my cans and n5.

But my harx700 are blocking little noise to the n5 so thats why I'm considering a new can set. Its either HD595 or ATH-900. I think I'm more set on ATH-900.
Source: HD595, ATH-900, or Denon 2000? - Head-Fi.org Community

Keep in mind, theres open-cans and closed cans. ATH-900s and HD595 are open cans and Harx700/900 are closed.

In public as in portable and at school/work, I use the audio cable since its small, and works the way I want it to work without issues.

Why are we talking about cans on a deaf/implant forum? Because we starve for the best hearing/sounds we can possibly have.

I was told that the longer wire that come with Cochlear (the one you called the lossless wire) is for TV, we need to connect this cable with the little one that is called direct connect cable (you posted pic of it), I'm not sure about this as my good TV broke and I'm using an older one like 10 years old TV, very heavy and can't move it to see it's connection in the back, LOL
I do use the direct connect cable with Iphone and laptop - love it

Oh okay, because i honestly thought the longer wire made the music more clearer but maybe thats just me thinking that.

I love the direct cable, its awesome for portable and for really close listening to devices, or you just want to shut out the world and listen to music/movie... I should really try iron man with them lol

Im really liking the audio cable mainly for portable since it can block out background noise. I don't think they miss any sounds headphones would miss. In fact, both dont even miss sounds.

If I am using the audio cable at the computer, then its probably because I want to really listen in a video game or a video with a lot of talking. If i want to watch a movie or listen to music (at home) it would be the headphones now. If i was tooo lazy to set up my audio cable, or i dont really care, headphones it is. Audio cable provides the MOST DIRECT sound but sometimes its just too much direct that it becomes unenjoyable. Thats why I see myself trying to get used to my cans and n5.

But my harx700 are blocking little noise to the n5 so thats why I'm considering a new can set. Its either HD595 or ATH-900. I think I'm more set on ATH-900.
Source: HD595, ATH-900, or Denon 2000? - Head-Fi.org Community

Keep in mind, theres open-cans and closed cans. ATH-900s and HD595 are open cans and Harx700/900 are closed.

In public as in portable and at school/work, I use the audio cable since its small, and works the way I want it to work without issues.

Why are we talking about cans on a deaf/implant forum? Because we starve for the best hearing/sounds we can possibly have.

Definitely! Any sounds I hear that are "new" will make my day. :)

Whats the difference between open can and closed can? I don't want people to be likely to hear what I'm listening to than the headphones I have. I set my headphones at comfortable level. I take it off and see if I can still hear it, if not, I'm good.

But I wouldn't care what kind or what it does as long it's perfect quality, but like what I said above would be a bonus... :P

For your N5, one question, wouldn't any kind of headphones not fix the problem you having with hearing extra noises outside the headphones around you because it's not "covered" unlike your AB Harmony's t-mic where it can be "covered" by the headphone can (Never knew they're named cans!)?

Definitely! Any sounds I hear that are "new" will make my day. :)

Whats the difference between open can and closed can? I don't want people to be likely to hear what I'm listening to than the headphones I have. I set my headphones at comfortable level. I take it off and see if I can still hear it, if not, I'm good.

But I wouldn't care what kind or what it does as long it's perfect quality, but like what I said above would be a bonus... :P

For your N5, one question, wouldn't any kind of headphones not fix the problem you having with hearing extra noises outside the headphones around you because it's not "covered" unlike your AB Harmony's t-mic where it can be "covered" by the headphone can (Never knew they're named cans!)?

Like you said, closed cans are made to prevent any leakage of sound coming out of the cans: pro's: more bass, sounds really good, con's: sometimes too much bass, and can be over too loud
And open cans are more for private use since they leak sounds: pro's: it been told that it sounds better than closed cans, con's: Not as much bass.

Just go a little roaming around at head-fi.org, looking at some posts because they are very knowledgeable and you are relying on human earing experiences

I am hoping that the headphones I'm looking at, ATH ad900, hd959, and perhaps da2000 (notice they dont have leather padding), they have a slightly bigger "around the ear" area and that the clothed padding will be more comfortable and not block as much sounds as a leather padded cans would.

I really really really miss harmony no lie.. Im gonna try to train my left ear so i can use the t-mic!

Like you said, closed cans are made to prevent any leakage of sound coming out of the cans: pro's: more bass, sounds really good, con's: sometimes too much bass, and can be over too loud
And open cans are more for private use since they leak sounds: pro's: it been told that it sounds better than closed cans, con's: Not as much bass.

Just go a little roaming around at head-fi.org, looking at some posts because they are very knowledgeable and you are relying on human earing experiences

I am hoping that the headphones I'm looking at, ATH ad900, hd959, and perhaps da2000 (notice they dont have leather padding), they have a slightly bigger "around the ear" area and that the clothed padding will be more comfortable and not block as much sounds as a leather padded cans would.

I really really really miss harmony no lie.. Im gonna try to train my left ear so i can use the t-mic!

Agh not another "research-on-whats-best-for-my-money" research! I'll check out the forums, but check this out, Audio cable is amazing because no background at all and 100% sound quality because it's "right there". If a headphone cannot match the audio cable's sound quality, then the headphone is missing out. I'm not familiar with headphones and what's best on the market, but the audio cable, I bet, is a surefire on beating any headphones and not one hearing person can take advantage of this (unless some technology magically can make them hear nothing but music/gaming), so...

Am I right? :hmm: If a headphone can "match" the audio cable in sound quality then great must buy since no need to set up and use the audio cable. Background noise is everywhere we go and... you know. Tell me if I'm wrong. I could be so terribly wrong that headphones today could beat the audio cable and beyond... (which would be awesome thing to find out) :dunno:

Back