Pat's (bbaseballboy) Surgery log

bbaseballboy123, thanks for your reply, but why no computers and cell phones, LOL, you are so funny, ok I will relax and take as much rest as I can

Because it requires "brain power" and your body underwent a surgery, impacting your body balance (for some people like me) and using electronics like a computer will just make you feel dizzy (i do not know the real reaosn why but i got dizzy after using the computer 6 hours after surgery)

And good luck!

Also there is stress using the computer for six hours and trying to use a cell phone. I needed to be as calm and slow down a bit after the surgery otherwise my ears will ring like crazy. It took me about two months for all the ringing to stop.

hey baseballboy how is it having AB and Cochlear?

It feels... the same! You heard that right, otherwise you would get a mapping so you would feel "balanced" in both ears. :)

Wish my cochlear Freedom has a T-mic, so I'll be hearing from my ear, not the "head"... :P

Going from AB to cochlear on one ear (that being my right side), there is really no difference because after all, its all just an implant. Therefore it was easy for me to adapt to the cochlear implant after having AB in the ear for 14 years

But now that I have my left with AB and my right with Cochlear, I cant say much right now because I barely wear my left. But I am trying to get used to hearing out of my left (its still very inaudibly, unable to understand english - all sounds are "burr"). As mudkidz said, its all about being balanced on sounds in both ears and I been doing really well with balancing both ears, just my left is still undergoing "learning english" as my right is already at normal hearing.

But I completely agree with Mudkipz, I wish the N5 had the t-mic cause thats what the N5 fails compare to harmony, I dont like the mics being on top of the processor..

Honestly, I have to say, my harmony on my right before it broke, sounded noticeably better than the N5 right now and I think thats because the harmony had the t-mic.

bbaseballboy123, great to know that you are doing good, tmic in AB is just like what Cochlear has on top of the processor, there is NOTHING SPECIAL about it, just the location, I spoke with top people in this industry and they explained to me both AB and Cochlear microphones are same, however AB have this tmic, I use the phone on my Cochlear as normal I only need to put the phone higher a bit, that's the difference.
How many map did you do, I see that you just have been activated a month so far, you will need several maps to get used to the new implant, did your AB implant sounded good 3 weeks post activation? I don't think so, so it will take time, I think your audi is wise to ask you not to use the other implant so you can get the new one in a better place, keep us updated :)

It is special feature Fl885. You dont realized because you dont have any processors with the mic being at the ear canal.

Even before AB had the t-mic (BTE generation), the mic was on the headpiece, and when i upgraded to the t-mic, it sounded a lot better, I remember because I was like "whoa this sounds so much better". The reason is because sounds (vibration) naturally goes directly to the ear canal, and the mic is there picking up most direct sounds.

As the N5 has the mic right on the top of the processor, its catching some sounds I never had issues before, like hair, and back winds. But I dont think it's as high quality as the harmony mic are, IMO.

(who are the so-called "top people", theres not many that I know that had both AB and cochlear techonogies, more like baise)

Like I said, my hearing is completely back to normal because last time I went for a map, it was actually a very small tune (just bumping up the volume, bumping a few numbers on my "n" and "l" sounds, updating the processor firmware) up since I was able to hear 98% (same as before my AB breaking), so i'm not due for another mapping for 6 months (as normally was). Dont get me wrong, Im hearing just as much as I was before, but I think the harmony had higher quality sounds.

It is special feature Fl885. You dont realized because you dont have any processors with the mic being at the ear canal.

Even before AB had the t-mic (BTE generation), the mic was on the headpiece, and when i upgraded to the t-mic, it sounded a lot better, I remember because I was like "whoa this sounds so much better". The reason is because sounds (vibration) naturally goes directly to the ear canal, and the mic is there picking up most direct sounds.

As the N5 has the mic right on the top of the processor, its catching some sounds I never had issues before, like hair, and back winds. But I dont think it's as high quality as the harmony mic are, IMO.

(who are the so-called "top people", theres not many that I know that had both AB and cochlear techonogies, more like baise)

Like I said, my hearing is completely back to normal because last time I went for a map, it was actually a very small tune up since I was able to hear 98% (same as before my AB breaking), so i'm not due for another mapping for 6 months (as normally was). Dont get me wrong, Im hearing just as much as I was before, but I think the harmony had higher quality sounds.

:shock: Nice to hear from your experiences. Give your N5 more time to adjust though and I agree with the wind and hair issue (especially the hair issue! Agh noises outta nowhere only to be just the hair rubbing...). Only 1 month and couple days in... :)

I also notice today that if I wear headphones with AB Harmony, the t-mic is covered and can only hear the videos playing and the sound environment outside your headphones are significantly reduced! Was very awesome. I now know how those "noise-canceling" headphones works! :lol:

:shock: Nice to hear from your experiences. Give your N5 more time to adjust though and I agree with the wind and hair issue (especially the hair issue! Agh noises outta nowhere only to be just the hair rubbing...). Only 1 month and couple days in... :)

I also notice today that if I wear headphones with AB Harmony, the t-mic is covered and can only hear the videos playing and the sound environment outside your headphones are significantly reduced! Was very awesome. I now know how those "noise-canceling" headphones works! :lol:

Yeah, before I lost my AB implant, I wore these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX900-High-Grade-Full-Size-Headphone/dp/B0013P3ZOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303615155&sr=8-3"]headphones [/ame]all the time, and the sound quailty was more than I could ask for. Just so solid, and was able to hear everything in movies and music no issues. But i no longer use the headphones since the mics of the N5 are right on top and the headphones "half-assed" the sounds, only hearing very little, hence the t-mic being there before.

Now for computer use, I use lossless cable with my audio cable that connects directly to my N5 and its very solid, but no bass (no complaints however). The audio wire is actually freaking awesome because its so easy to use and i wear it all day during school listening to the radio or music, especially enlgish reading William shakepear lol.

Yeah, before I lost my AB implant, I wore these headphones all the time, and the sound quailty was more than I could ask for. Just so solid, and was able to hear everything in movies and music no issues. But i no longer use the headphones since the mics of the N5 are right on top and the headphones "half-assed" the sounds, only hearing very little, hence the t-mic being there before.

Now for computer use, I use lossless cable with my audio cable that connects directly to my N5 and its very solid, but no bass (no complaints however). The audio wire is actually freaking awesome because its so easy to use and i wear it all day during school listening to the radio or music, especially enlgish reading William shakepear lol.

JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone? What is it like compared to other headphones? I noticed that maybe high quality headphones can help me more on listening (d'oh!). I got 2 headphones and they sound the same. I'm gonna try direct connect later and see how better is it comparing to my headphones (Last time using direct connect was last week, gotta try again).

Half-assed? Haha I see what you did there. :lol: T-mic is right at the headphone and the other is above the headphone. Wonder how that affects hearing performance though it's fine for me as I worn the Freedom much longer than AB...

loseless cable from N5? What is that? Do you wear one for your AB? Please explain! You seem to like it! :P

JVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone? What is it like compared to other headphones? I noticed that maybe high quality headphones can help me more on listening (d'oh!). I got 2 headphones and they sound the same. I'm gonna try direct connect later and see how better is it comparing to my headphones (Last time using direct connect was last week, gotta try again).

Half-assed? Haha I see what you did there. :lol: T-mic is right at the headphone and the other is above the headphone. Wonder how that affects hearing performance though it's fine for me as I worn the Freedom much longer than AB...

loseless cable from N5? What is that? Do you wear one for your AB? Please explain! You seem to like it! :P

The headphones are really comfortable, almost as professional song makers use. The sound quality is very high, and the leather padding traps the sounds and bass in the ear. I too did notice I hear so much more with direct or headphones on as I'm hearing more directly without any background sounds.

Direct sounds is awesome cause you can block out the background sound 100% and just listen to pure music, sometimes it a bit too much so I have it set at 80%music/20background

By half-assed, I mean since the mic is on the top of the processor on the N5, the leather padding basically sits on the processor and it only allows so much sounds to the mic.

Lossless cable for the N5 is a wire that is almost 2 meters long and it has some sort of box on the wire that filters the sounds making it much more clearer, but I only use it on my computer since its a really long wire and I dont need lossless everywhere I go.
Audio wire is just like the Harmony's cable, 2-3 feet long, made for easy and portable use.
I personally never really used it for the harmony because headphones was just perfect and the wire is a huge pain the ass with harmony compare to N5 (setting it up.)
Harmony: you have to untwist the t-mic off, twist the wire on.
N5: just open the back door on the processor, and hook it right in. takes 20 secs tops.

The headphones are really comfortable, almost as professional song makers use. The sound quality is very high, and the leather padding traps the sounds and bass in the ear. I too did notice I hear so much more with direct or headphones on as I'm hearing more directly without any background sounds.

Direct sounds is awesome cause you can block out the background sound 100% and just listen to pure music, sometimes it a bit too much so I have it set at 80%music/20background

By half-assed, I mean since the mic is on the top of the processor on the N5, the leather padding basically sits on the processor and it only allows so much sounds to the mic.

Lossless cable for the N5 is a wire that is almost 2 meters long and it has some sort of box on the wire that filters the sounds making it much more clearer, but I only use it on my computer since its a really long wire and I dont need lossless everywhere I go.
Audio wire is just like the Harmony's cable, 2-3 feet long, made for easy and portable use.
I personally never really used it for the harmony because headphones was just perfect and the wire is a huge pain the ass with harmony compare to N5 (setting it up.)
Harmony: you have to untwist the t-mic off, twist the wire on.
N5: just open the back door on the processor, and hook it right in. takes 20 secs tops.

Checked the headphones and looks really good according to the reviews on Amazon.com, but gonna hold out on it because $58 is bit much and need to wear the direct connect again for comparison to my headphones. :)

So you were saying you wear audio cable during school listening to radio or music which means you wear the N5 only listening to them? :P

Wonder if you can use 2 Direct cables to 1 music player or TV or computer.. you know? :hmm:

Checked the headphones and looks really good according to the reviews on Amazon.com, but gonna hold out on it because $58 is bit much and need to wear the direct connect again for comparison to my headphones. :)

So you were saying you wear audio cable during school listening to radio or music which means you wear the N5 only listening to them? :P

Wonder if you can use 2 Direct cables to 1 music player or TV or computer.. you know? :hmm:

Theres a younger brother call the JVC HARX700 which I have as well, $35 or something like that, they sound just as well.

I really do prefer headphones to direct cables because its "air sound" and it sounds more "natural"

There is a splinter offer by cochlear that works with people with 2 N5s

I'm aware that the N5 has the remote. Does it also work with the AB? Or it only works with Cochlear?

Only works with cochlear. Harmony does not have its own remote. But to be honest I dont really use the remote anymore.
Interesting. Cause I still have the Freedom, would like to upgrade to N5 someday, hopefully sometime soon. And in one area where I think the remote could come in handy is where there are background noises like in restaurants and so forth.

Interesting. Cause I still have the Freedom, would like to upgrade to N5 someday, hopefully sometime soon. And in one area where I think the remote could come in handy is where there are background noises like in restaurants and so forth.

The programs are very easily switchable via the processor. Just a click, then there's "beeps" depending on number programs:
Ex: I want my noise program activate, i just click the button two times because the program is #2, and there will be two "beeps" letting you know that your on the 2nd program.

I only use the remote if I want to adjust volume or sensitivity, i rarely change programs too.

Back