Passing?

nazziegirl

Reaction score
I am currently going to seminary online. I did not tell anyone that I am HoH when I applied. I was accepted, and even admitted to the "Honors Research" concentration in my M. Div. I have to maintain a 3.4 GPA minimum and I have a mandatory thesis.

I am doing very well academically, including online synchronous classes with no accommodations at all.

Is it possible for a HoH person to do this?

Apparently, because I am doing it.

I hope to become a teacher after graduation, and perhaps a chaplain.

What would anyone say about how I could best serve others, including the Deaf Community, after graduation?

I think very possible. You might have to develop some compensatory strategies, but I've seen a few Deaf and HOH seminary alumni in the past. No reason why you can't be among their ranks :)

Rooting for you, Nazziegirl.

I am currently going to seminary online. I did not tell anyone that I am HoH when I applied. I was accepted, and even admitted to the "Honors Research" concentration in my M. Div. I have to maintain a 3.4 GPA minimum and I have a mandatory thesis.

I am doing very well academically, including online synchronous classes with no accommodations at all.

Is it possible for a HoH person to do this?

Apparently, because I am doing it.

I hope to become a teacher after graduation, and perhaps a chaplain.

What would anyone say about how I could best serve others, including the Deaf Community, after graduation?
You could have a ministry to hearing parents of dhh kids to encourage them to give their kids ASL!

Well you can defiantly pass in a "passive way" such as online. Of course you can. But why bother. Just be honest if it comes up. One idea I have is working with the elderly. especially elderly who are in homes are care places. Can't tell you how many Deaf/HOH elderly need support or just someone who is there. Many senior homes/care facilities do not have any one who can sign with them and if the elderly person does not know sign then perhaps you can help teach them just the basic's to start off with. or to just be a friend to them. So many Deaf/HOH elderly who don't have family or support are just dumped in these places and they are extremely lonely. need a friend and/or spiritual support.

Greeting Nazziegirl;
Thank you for sharing your goal and your plan with seminary online. I think that’s great that you are pursing your goal and sharing God’s Word with others especially to the deaf community. Yes deaf people CAN do it!!! The only thing that they CAN’T hear! I attended to Concordia Seminary in St. Louis and studied in Deaf Institute of Theology. I am now a deaf Deaconess at Our Savior Deaf Lutheran Church in Madison, WI. Our Pastor was hearing and now he’s hard of hearing. Well he is becoming deaf and using ASL fluently.
Many deaf and Hard of hearing elderly people are very lonely and miss the communication in ASL with their friends and family. They are often neglected and need their soul feed with God’s Word. I often visit with them (or called shut-in visitations) weekly with another elder from our church. I sometimes attend to ICU/emergency at the hospital, death in a home, and any urgent situation. I give them comfort and spiritual care. Everything is done in ASL.
There are lots of ways you can serve others including the deaf community. We have a deaf church and many of our leaders serve in different area of ministry and building/maintenance. We have deaf coffee chat once a month at our church (non-ministry). Last Wednesday we had a guest deaf speaker who talked about ASL series and how we the deaf people can teach others ASL. Then they had lunch and then games. Each month is different with different theme and speakers. I have a good friend who was hearing and became deaf in the 20’s and now she is pursing classes to become a deaf teacher. She is also a Director of Christian Education at our church and is very much involved in youth group weekly.
If you want to talk to me more about it, we can exchange email.
God’s blessings on your study!

Back