parents - overwhelmed and undereducated

On occasions he'll sleep in his crib, beside the bed. We do leave the closet door cracked with the light on. Maybe I should open it more or put a brighter light in it. Would putting a mobile or stuffed, animal,etc help or would that be worse?

On occasions he'll sleep in his crib, beside the bed. We do leave the closet door cracked with the light on. Maybe I should open it more or put a brighter light in it. Would putting a mobile or stuffed, animal,etc help or would that be worse?

It may help. a friendly little face or whirligig to focus on my distract him from the fact that he's alone.

You could also try giving him a sweatshirt or something that you've worn to cuddle with. Something that smells like mom can be very soothing. Katie had rotating burp rags. I'd keep one in my pillow and when the other needed washing, we'd swap them out.

Congratulations our lil miracle on your beautiful little boy! That is so cute about him signing 'milk'.

You have asked a lot of questions I was wondering about.

We have a lilltle miracle in our family too, he was born at 26 weeks and has been a little battler and is doing really well, he is nearly 4 months now! He is so gorgeous I could eat him :)

We found out today that he is profoundly deaf, and we look forward to learning with our little one. We only found out today he is deaf, so we will have to learn to sign pretty quickly. I can't wait for all the fun and adventures ahead, he is going to open up a whole new world for our family.

Congratulations and god bless :)

Wirelessly posted

wow, 26 weeks is very early. Are there any other issues besides the deafness? Will he be receiving a cochlear implant?

my daughter was also a nicu baby, she was full term but very ill. She lost her hearing due to her illness and the medications from her life-saving interventions. She is now 7 and has bilateral (how cool for finally write that!) cochlear implants. She is bilingual with asl as her first language and she is learning english through listening with her ci's.

I can't give advice about sleeping in the crib since I kept my kids on the breast. If you decide to co-sleep don't worry about it. I can't tell you how many parents were relieved when I told them that I slept with my kid. They were doing the same thing and were afraid to tell anyone. My kids are big now and they sleep alone.

Hello faire jour

We only found out about the deafness today. He had a bleed on the brain but it has been resolving well and his sight and motor functions seem good so far. We just don't know until he's older about anything else but of course we hope he has a happy and healthy life with all the chances he can get. We're very positive about everything and are just thrilled to bits with him. We're all very much in love with him and take it as it comes. He had bowel surgery at a week old and came through that. He's feeding well and acting just as he should at this stage, so keep everything crossed for him :)

I am thrilled to bits for your daughter and how well she is doing, they are very precious when you nearly lose them :'( She is a clever girl to be getting on with English, you must be very proud.

We don't know about little G and cochlear implants yet, the news is very new. The doctors will be trying him with hearing aids to see if there is any hearing they can enhance, but he seems to have quite an impairment. The docs said his impairment is cochlear and not neurological (from what I could gather my brother said) so is that a good thing for a cochlear implant?

Hello faire jour

We only found out about the deafness today. He had a bleed on the brain but it has been resolving well and his sight and motor functions seem good so far. We just don't know until he's older about anything else but of course we hope he has a happy and healthy life with all the chances he can get. We're very positive about everything and are just thrilled to bits with him. We're all very much in love with him and take it as it comes. He had bowel surgery at a week old and came through that. He's feeding well and acting just as he should at this stage, so keep everything crossed for him :)

I am thrilled to bits for your daughter and how well she is doing, they are very precious when you nearly lose them :'( She is a clever girl to be getting on with English, you must be very proud.

We don't know about little G and cochlear implants yet, the news is very new. The doctors will be trying him with hearing aids to see if there is any hearing they can enhance, but he seems to have quite an impairment. The docs said his impairment is cochlear and not neurological (from what I could gather my brother said) so is that a good thing for a cochlear implant?

Yes, that makes him a better canidate. If his loss is profound, he will likely get very little benefit from his hearing aids and will probably be unable to access speech through hearing.

(Also, be very careful about equating spoken language with being smart. She happens to be very intellegent :D but she is learning spoken language because she can hear now. She was just as smart when she was ASL only.)

(Also, be very careful about equating spoken language with being smart. She happens to be very intellegent :D but she is learning spoken language because she can hear now. She was just as smart when she was ASL only.)

Sorry didn't mean it like that, I know she is learning English because she can hear now, I meant that she is doing very well with her work!

Salles, I would strongly reccomend contacting your state's School for the Deaf. They really have awesome resources to help you get started.

Back