Paleo and Primal Lifestyle

That's Paleo and Primal Lifestyle!

maria-lucimar-pereira.jpg

Pereira credits her long-life to an active, healthy lifestyle, in addition to a diet rich in locally grown meats, fruits, and vegetables gathered in the forests around her home -- free of the extra salt, sugar, and preservatives so commonly found in foods around the world. Her all-natural diet, along with frequent walks around town, has allowed Pereira to thrive while others, many years her junior, do not.

With so many fads and gimmicks aimed at promoting a 'healthy' alternative, Pereira's example seems to suggest that looking to past dietary habits may be the best way to ensure a thriving life stretching far into the future.

World's Oldest Person Found Thriving in the Amazon : TreeHugger

Boult, that was interesting!

I don't know how many people living in industrialized societies with easy access to fast food, would be able to keep the dietary and activity lifestyle that has allowed this woman to get to where she is - much of which was probably for most of her life, out of necessity.
And my guess is genetics also plays a role here.

thats amazing. Scientists have been saying low calorie diets lengthen lifespans and paleo diet is inherently low calorie.

From what I understand, some proponents of the Paelo diet is that Paleo humans did not eat many starches or dairy products thus cereals grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, fatty meats,salt containing foods and sweets are on the forbidden list.

However, there is evidence that early man indeed did eat such starches and I can cite sources such as Science and Nature to support my asserations. In my link to 1Science, the docment indicates that wild grains have been eaten since the Middle Stone age. Though the paper is more concerned with the the endosperm development in the Brachypodium distachyon compared with that of wheat than with with what early humans ate, that right there is evidence that grain has been eaten since eaten since at least the Middle Stone age as evidenced in the introduction of this paper. This plant was eaten as a grain by hunters and gatherers and it's closely related to moderen cereals hence the interest in this plant.

There is evidence that flour has been made for at least 30,000 years according to Nature. The plants used in these early flours were cattail roots and the grains of the plant Brachypodium or ferns.
Evidience of stone age flour was found in sandstone tools that were likely used for grinding at sites such as Bilancino in central Itaty, Southern Moravia in the Czech Republic and the south of Moscow and these have been dated roughly 30,000k years old.

I have another source from Science Dircet that can back up my assertions. This is a paper that lists starches that were eaten in the Middle Stone age era in the Niassa Rift, Mozambisque in Africa. The writers of this paper thought Africa would be a good place to find the earliest (ScienceDirect quarterly Reseach 70 year 2008 pg 283-300) evidence of worldwide significant reliance on starchy foods.

According to this paper , legumes were eaten by stone age humans. This paper lists the lithics that were used for residue analysis. BTW, Lithic analysis is the archeological term for the study of stone age tools.

Table 5 on page 291 and 2 has an extensitive list of starches residues discovered on these stone age tools.
Of noteworthy interest is the list of nearly 30 members of the Fabacae family residues found on the stone age tools onpage 292. The plants that belong to the genus vignia which are part of the Fabacce family includes favacae vigna unguiculata - better known as black eyes peas - and resides of black eyed peas were found on these stone age tools that were found in South Africa. The resides of other members of the genus Vigna found on the are stone age tools unfamilar to us.

Now let us consider members of the Poacae family which is still quite important to modern humans. Memeber of Poacae Pooideae include wheat, oats, and barley though they are not listed in table 5. One of the grains resides listed in table 5 page 291 is still use today. This grain is Sorghum though it's not as widely used as in the past. Chloris virgata which is listed in table 5 looks like wheat. It isn't wheat though. Most of the grains listed in table 5 are unfamilar to us but they have been eaten since at least the Stone Age.

As for members of the Dioscoreceae family genus Dioscorea - other wise known as yams (not to be confused with sweet potatoes); traces of them were found on the stone ages tools as well. BTW, many of them can not be eaten raw. They must be cooked. It is believed that humanoids have been using fire for 1.5 milion years. None of the yams listed in table 5 are familar to us with the expecation of dioscorea rupicola which is commonly called wild yam.

However, it is not known exactly how much of the starches stone age humans ate but if if I were to venture a guess, it prolly made up a fair amount of our early diet.

As for meat and starches, early humans had to expand a great deal of energy to hunt down food so I would imagine that high fat meats were favored over lean meat and that it is proable that starches made up a good part of their diet; starches was an is our fuel.

1. I was unable to read the artitce in Sciece but this paper was published in Oxfordjournals as well. The link to the PDF document was provided by Science.

When you reduce anything in moderation and eat things in moderation and EXERCISE you can still be healthy, I eat carbs, IN MODERATION, fruit IN MODERATION.... The main thing is anyone can be healthy when they cut certain things out and make sure you eat what you are suppose to and EXERCISE is a big deal. I cut, BAD carbs out as bad fats, soda, candy all the "good" stuff. With at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and dropped 15.5 lbs in a month. You don't have to just eat nuts and barrys to be healthy. OTHER things work not just reducing yourself to eating like a caveman.

When you reduce anything in moderation and eat things in moderation and EXERCISE you can still be healthy, I eat carbs, IN MODERATION, fruit IN MODERATION.... The main thing is anyone can be healthy when they cut certain things out and make sure you eat what you are suppose to and EXERCISE is a big deal. I cut, BAD carbs out as bad fats, soda, candy all the "good" stuff. With at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and dropped 15.5 lbs in a month. You don't have to just eat nuts and barrys to be healthy. OTHER things work not just reducing yourself to eating like a caveman.

Exactly.

I do it because I think it helps lower my arthritis pain. Its not just nuts and berries.

I cook most of my meals by sauteing vegetables in olive oil then later adding the meat to it. While waiting for it all to cook, I eat some fruit as an appetiser. After the meal, I eat some more fruit if still hungry.

The paleo diet might appear to be extreme but honestly, after eating all those fruits and vegetables theres no room for bread or rice.

A paleolithic diet is more satiating per calorie than a mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischemic heart disease.

BACKGROUND:
We found marked improvement of glucose tolerance and lower dietary energy intake in ischemic heart disease (IHD) patients after advice to follow a Paleolithic diet, as compared to a Mediterranean-like diet. We now report findings on subjective ratings of satiety at meals and data on the satiety hormone leptin and the soluble leptin receptor from the same study.
~NIH

A paleolithic diet is more satiating per c... [Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Results from 4 weeks of paleo diet and exercise

Reduced

neck 2"
chest 3"
belly 5"
waist 2"

Caveman diet really does work. Its similar to a Zone diet

Most of the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are in meats, fruits, vegetables and nuts. Things like bread, noodles, and rice are mostly filler.

Dairy isnt good for you. Countries with the highest incidences of osteroperosis consume the most dairy. The calicium doesnt seem to be getting absorbed.

Also the protein in dairy, Casein increases inflammation. Fighters avoid eating dairy before a fight so they dont swell up so much after getting hit.

Nutrition isnt fully understood. In the past, Inuit people (eskimos) ate a diet without any vitamin C, but for some reason they didnt develope scurvy.

Nutrionists saying a diet needs to be high in carbs is wrong

Fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, grains are all carbs.

I just eat fruits and vegetables and avoid the beans, legumes and grains.

Cool. Do you think the Paleo diet is something you can stick to for a lifetime?

yes and no. I eat over 10 different vegetables and 6 different fruits a day, so I dont miss beans or grains. Im never hungry.

However, when Im out with friends and family, I eat what they eat. You just have to be concious not to overeat.

Results from 4 weeks of paleo diet and exercise

Reduced

neck 2"
chest 3"
belly 5"
waist 2"

Congratulations-

I'm a primal for the sake of fun- I eat starch foods like sweet potatoes, green beans, etc, and consume yoghurt/kefir. I did not lose a pound, but dropped a size. My body is getting lean. My blouses are baggy-yikes. I push up two sets of 30 every other day. I used to feel crappy after workout, but not anymore. My energy level has gone up. My blood work is great. I may have to shop for size 4- grrr. Also, my sinuses clear up.

Do you take fish oil and D3 vitamins?

Congratulations-

I'm a primal for the sake of fun- I eat starch foods like sweet potatoes, green beans, etc, and consume yoghurt/kefir. I did not lose a pound, but dropped a size. My body is getting lean. My blouses are baggy-yikes. I push up two sets of 30 every other day. I used to feel crappy after workout, but not anymore. My energy level has gone up. My blood work is great. I may have to shop for size 4- grrr. Also, my sinuses clear up.

Do you take fish oil and D3 vitamins?

Weight is not important… just size, same here, my clothes are already bigger… I need to buy new wardrobe!

What brand (fish oil) is it? I'm looking for the best quality brand.

Back