Pacifier VS Thumbsucking

Pinky

Reaction score
In my thought about pacifier and thumbsuck between. My husband and I were discuss about this is for our baby. He don't believe in pacifier for reason. He was thumbsucking when he was baby until kid. I never suck my thumb because I didn't like it. I realized that I had bad mid-face on my teeth because not thumb sucking. I had experience with ear infection by pacifier.

You could like to post to share with your experience when you was baby & young and your babies & kids.

My kids both rejected pacifiers, and they did suck thumbs, but they stopped before they were about three years old.

FYI Sucking thumbs/fingers are so hard to wean off cuz hand is always with you. Pacifier are easy to wean off. I bought 2 different kind just in case if our baby likes it or not. Tyler did suck on pacifier for only like a week or two then spit it out but did use it on and off rarely till about 3 or 4 months old then he spit it out and didn't want it.

If my 2nd baby does use the pacifier, I will try to wean him off by age 2 or younger. If he wean it off himself, that's great! :)

I have seen some 3 to 5 years old use it! I was like damn I wish I could yak it out and throw it in trash!

My husband said thumbsucking is free and easy to clean after hands wash. It's good for soothe. Good for calm and comfort. That is natural.

The pacifier can build the germ by fall on the floors. The toddler didn't know it's dirty when pick the pacifier up and put in mouth. That's dirty. The pacifier is 2 much cry and play game with split it out and cry again and want get suck back again. Back and fourth. That is unnatural.

I noticed some kids are still pacifier until age 3 and 5 years old stopped. It cause ruin the teeth. The teeth is not growing enough. The kids were anxiety easy.

Right I know that...I will have to keep eye on my son's pacifier...I have the holder as well. Just in case if he use it, if not then that's great..:)

Yea....some kids keep using it later age such as 3 to 5 or 6...ruined their teeth! I've seen some adult still suck her/his thumb.... *shake my head no*
My husband said thumbsucking is free and easy to clean after hands wash. It's good for soothe. Good for calm and comfort. That is natural.

The pacifier can build the germ by fall on the floors. The toddler didn't know it's dirty when pick the pacifier up and put in mouth. That's dirty. The pacifier is 2 much cry and play game with split it out and cry again and want get suck back again. Back and fourth. That is unnatural.

I noticed some kids are still pacifier until age 3 and 5 years old stopped. It cause ruin the teeth. The teeth is not growing enough. The kids were anxiety easy.

What I've been told by my parents is that I never liked pacifier, I always have spitted it out. I also never sucked on my thumbs...

My son liked pacifier for like six weeks and that was about it, after that, he just spitted it out and never used it again, because every time we have tried to put it in his mouth, he just spits it out. He doesn't suck his thumb either... he has few times when he was a baby but that was all.

Both of my kids used a pacifier until they were 18 months old. The reason they stopped was because I threw them all out. Both never sucked their thumbs.

I used a pacifier until I was about 1/12 - 2 years old.

I know a lot of people who thumbsucked. In my college course last year, 16-19 year old girls was actually sat in class sucking their thumbs and last week I saw an older girl on the bus sucking her thumb. I do actually think thumbsucking is harder to give up because of the tempetation(spelling?) and your thumb is always there

My eldest child used a pacifier until his molars came in at around 2-3. He had a really hard time teething. His gums swelled bad and the pacifier helped.

I can't remember when my youngest child gave up his pacifier. He breastfed for so long that I was his pacifier, at least when I was around.

Alot is going to depend on the child. My mother was adamant that we use a pacifier because she wanted to be able to take it away - it's very hard to break many children of thumbsucking and she didn't want us to be sucking our thumbs after a certain age.
So she bought a multitude of pacifiers and a sanitizer thing and those clips to attach them to our clothes. It worked great for my older sister, but not for me. I never sucked my thumb or fingers, but I also never sucked those pacifiers. I delighted in throwing them places, but not in putting them in my mouth.

Alot is going to depend on the child. My mother was adamant that we use a pacifier because she wanted to be able to take it away - it's very hard to break many children of thumbsucking and she didn't want us to be sucking our thumbs after a certain age.
So she bought a multitude of pacifiers and a sanitizer thing and those clips to attach them to our clothes. It worked great for my older sister, but not for me. I never sucked my thumb or fingers, but I also never sucked those pacifiers. I delighted in throwing them places, but not in putting them in my mouth.

That was one of my reasons why I had my children suck on pacifiers instead of their thumbs.

Not to mention that thumbsucking can alter your upper mandibles, it can cause an overbite or a gap in the front teeth.

My boyfriends niece is almost 12 years old and sucks her thumbs.

I have seen 16 year olds suck their thumbs.

I think this is their way of calming themselves, but I can't see an adult doing that at age 30 or so on.

So I think a pacifier is better because it is molded to shape like a mother's nipple, and can be weaned off.

I did it with both my boys, it worked.

My daughter started out with a pacifier. Then she would just spit out the pacifier and suck her thumb.

She did so til she was almost Two years old. She has very nice straight teeth.

i wouldn't go with thumbsucking. i was a thumbsucker and it ruined my bite.. i had to wear braces for two years.

like a few people have said here, you can't get rid of a thumb. go with pacifiers.

I seem everyone are different opinion on pacifier and thumbsucking.

Some 3 years old over still suck the pacifier cause small teeth and not able to pull out a new teeth.

Some children suck their thumbs and have a perfect teeth and some not.

Interesting..

I did suck my middle and ring fingers like ILY in sign for two years, I stopped on my own. My two sisters did suck their thumbs until between 10 to 12 years old and stopped ont heir own.. My daughter is the one who suck her thumb, and she hates pacifier because of rubber, always lose easily, diffcult to putting it back when she was baby so she decided to use her thumb because she can put it back in her own than I put the pacifier back for her. I sometime think thumb is better than pacifier because of germs, easily to help them to wean out, etc like that. In my family think it's best for my daughter to suck her thumb than pacifier due to teeth, could help to stop, and etc. Whole of my family are strongly on sucking thumbs than pacifier but having been see that it's VERY diffcult to wean them out with pacifier. I guess it's depend on who and their opinions. *shrug*

Interesting..

I did suck my middle and ring fingers like ILY in sign for two years, I stopped on my own. My two sisters did suck their thumbs until between 10 to 12 years old and stopped ont heir own.. My daughter is the one who suck her thumb, and she hates pacifier because of rubber, always lose easily, diffcult to putting it back when she was baby so she decided to use her thumb because she can put it back in her own than I put the pacifier back for her. I sometime think thumb is better than pacifier because of germs, easily to help them to wean out, etc like that. In my family think it's best for my daughter to suck her thumb than pacifier due to teeth, could help to stop, and etc. Whole of my family are strongly on sucking thumbs than pacifier but having been see that it's VERY diffcult to wean them out with pacifier. I guess it's depend on who and their opinions. *shrug*

That what my husband said pacifier is unnatural. Because it's germ and bacteria from fall on the floor and pick it up and put into mouth without wash.

Back