Over 130,000 urged to evacuate as california dam could fail

I believe part of that comes from what has been learned since these dams were constructed. Think of how long ago that was and the fact that knowledge is constantly changing!
Absolutely true, but in Orovile dams case the state was told 12 years ago that the spillway had serious problems and they chose to do nothing to rectify the problems. Now it will probably cost them 10 or even 20 times what it would of cost them if they had done what was needed 12 years ago. As to San Louis, they new they had a problem back in the late 60's that they had a problem with the dam, they just shoved that one on the back burner too!

Absolutely true, but in Orovile dams case the state was told 12 years ago that the spillway had serious problems and they chose to do nothing to rectify the problems. Now it will probably cost them 10 or even 20 times what it would of cost them if they had done what was needed 12 years ago. As to San Louis, they new they had a problem back in the late 60's that they had a problem with the dam, they just shoved that one on the back burner too!

What else were the financial issues in CA back when they passed on spending money on these? If there was some other true emergency, it could make sense.

I can't help but wonder if how dry all of the ground had gotten during the drought didn't make a difference in how the water infiltrated it when so much came at once.

To add a little more to this thought. What has occurred to me is you know how the ground cracks at the surface when it gets very dry. Well . . .does it get similar space underground during a drought that could then more easily break apart when water from heavy rain flows in the cracks in that area?

Lake Berryessa in CA has a glory hole that does just that. However, in the states hindsight to not put one in at Oroville in the past or in the drought years, they would have to drain the lake to do it now. San louis reservoir near Los Banos is being earthquake retrofit right now and they have to keep the water below a certain level until the work is completed, and who knows when that will happen. You just wonder where these engineers got there education from that they can't get these things right in the first place. They just released a report on the amount of money it will take to fix the dams, bridges and roads in CA and it tops $50 billion, so to use the government calculator, double or triple that figure and you will probably be near the correct amount.
Do you know they actually stopped Niagara Falls to do work.... nothing is impossible.
http://mashable.com/2017/01/14/niagara-falls-runs-dry/

To add a little more to this thought. What has occurred to me is you know how the ground cracks at the surface when it gets very dry. Well . . .does it get similar space underground during a drought that could then more easily break apart when water from heavy rain flows in the cracks in that area?
Yes, soft soil can contract away from a solid surface covering such as concrete. ( Excavation training here ) When the ground is saturated the soil can become "liquidfied" and shift creating voids.

Yes, soft soil can contract away from a solid surface covering such as concrete. ( Excavation training here ) When the ground is saturated the soil can become "liquidfied" and shift creating voids.
Do you know the composition of the soil at the site? Thank Gawd they didn't build the dam on quicklime. I am assuming they didn't...

Do you know the composition of the soil at the site? Thank Gawd they didn't build the dam on quicklime. I am assuming they didn't...
clay, sandy soil.... slippery or loose is a bad combo.

clay, sandy soil.... slippery or loose is a bad combo.
I am not sure it was quicklime I was thinking of.
When I was a boy, some guy put what looked like clay into a bucket and stirred it up. It turned to LIQUID.

Last edited:
Do you know they actually stopped Niagara Falls to do work.... nothing is impossible.
http://mashable.com/2017/01/14/niagara-falls-runs-dry/
Yes, I do know that, they also have diverted over 90% of the water that used to go over the falls. They also diverted the Colorado when they built the Hoover Dam. However, to put a glory hole in the Oroville dam would be too costly to put in coffer dam. Knowing the state of CA like I do, they would just drain the dam and do the work, I mean who cares about all that water?

Last edited:
What else were the financial issues in CA back when they passed on spending money on these? If there was some other true emergency, it could make sense.

The state is still largely bankrupt do to their pension systems being underfunded by billions and billions of dollars and it's budget mess was not quite as bad 12 years ago as it is today. Gov Brown want the Federal Govt. to step in and fix what ails CA, but I can't see it happening. Maybe they will get some help, but I doubt that the Feds will pick up the whole tab.

sjm-l-oroville-1021-61.jpg

Work continued Thursday on repairing the main spillway at the Oroville Dam. Hundreds of construction workers are working to rebuild the damage from February’s storms, which caused the evacuation of 188,000 people.

Cost of repairing Oroville dam’s spillway nearly doubles in price to $500 million

OROVILLE — The cost of the main construction contract to repair the damage caused by last winter’s storm to the Oroville Dam’s spillway has almost doubled, state water officials said Thursday.

In April, Kiewit, the Omaha, Nebraska-based construction company that is rebuilding the spillway at Oroville, the nation’s tallest dam, estimated that the work would cost at least $275 million. Now, as 700 workers rush to meet a Nov. 1 deadline, the price tag has soared to $500 million, said Erin Mellon, a spokeswoman for the Department of Water Resources.

“When Kiewit put in the bid, only 30 percent of the project had been designed,” she said. “When you get on the construction site, there’s a lot more information that you glean.”

More here: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10...llway-nearly-doubles-in-price-to-500-million/

Not surprising that the cost has almost doubled, it is a government job after all! It was probably inflated with the initial bid, but for the construction company Kiewit doing the work for the state, any state, it's just like printing money!

no idea why people love California. it's ridden with debt, earthquake, fires, water shortage, drought, riots, etc. :dunno:

no idea why people love California. it's ridden with debt, earthquake, fires, water shortage, drought, riots, etc. :dunno:

CA has a long geological history of drought. The biggest concern is it is currently sinking now due to lack of water aquifer areas.

California is geographically beautiful. That's the only thing I like about it. I love to camp on the mountains. I go visit my family and relatives there for now.

Come and visit me in San Francisco, and you will understand why I love it here. :lol:

SF is okay. I hate the fog and long commute if I work there. it's easier if you're SINGLE. There is only one thing I like in SF is Boudin Bakery. They bake and ferment bread in the correct way plus the salt in the air makes it difference for that bread.

My friend used to live in Santa Barbara and paid $3,000 for his 700 sq ft one room apartment without a stove, which is a part of the large house. The parking is horrible. He had to share a driveway with other tenants. It's so crowded.

No, thanks.

My grandson has a fellow cadet friend whose family has a compound outside San Francisco. This past summer my grandson got to visit them. He said it was beautiful country. He didn't go to the city itself.

I've heard that the bums have taken over the city. They are aggressive, sleep wherever they want in public places, bother people on the streets, and urinate and defecate wherever they want, indoors and outdoors. :(

Back