Oticon opn

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
My new hearing aids! I got them before my baby was born but I hadn't had a chance to show them off. I was happy I could get the new opn, my state insurance didn't want to pay for them at first but some how my audie got them for me. I don't have an I phone though so I don't habe full function on them yet. They sound so much better then my oticon acto. Can't wait to decorate them!

Nice for a while i thought about about decorating mine but its a tiny rit Bte. I think i may wait for a bit i need to make a visit to a audie out here where i have moved too having some issues with my hearing these last two weeks.

Are they size 13 battery?

(Currently have Oticon Chili... while I like them, I hate the size of them... too small for my taste and when I drop/lose the battery it's hell looking for them with my low/lousy vision. 675 were easier to find and i didn't mind the size of those hearing aids lol).

I use the 312 i feel like all H.A. Batteries need to be rechargeable.

I use the 312 i feel like all H.A. Batteries need to be rechargeable.

Funny thing was my mom was asking about that 'why aren't hearing aid batteries rechargeable?!' That subject came up because yet another dead battery wound up in the washing machine going clunk clunk clunk.... I sometimes have the habit of putting dead batteries in my pocket if I'm somewhere where I can't access a trashcan easily enough...and I ALWAYS check my pockets before washing but sometimes miss them because the dang size 13 is so SMALL... Yes I've also washed the fresh battery pack too...oops....and 3 iTune cards once-- 1 was intact, 2 disintegrated to just the plastic sticky with the card number on it (still amazed I found those in the washer)...and I have picture proof lol.

Funny thing was my mom was asking about that 'why aren't hearing aid batteries rechargeable?!'

It has been quite a number of years ago now but I at one time had some rechargeable 675s. They worked but if I had a long day they would quite about supper time. Never did note the exact number of hours one would go. They may still be around here somewhere and if I run across them will check more about them.

So far the problem with rechargeable HA batteries has been cost ($20 for two batteries and around $100 for the charger)and life expectancy (about a year, give or take) as well as shorter "run" time as they get closer to the end of their life( when new they might last 16 hours on a charge and toward the end of their life they might only last 8 hours or less).

If they can make the tech for these little computers we use every day (h.a./c.i) there has to be a way to make it both affordable and durable.

I would have thought there wouldn't be enough demand for rechargeable HA batteries before I saw Jane B's comment. I did a quick search and BuyHear does sell them. My experience with rechargeable of other types of batteries is the same as what Jane B and seb posted about a much shorter charge. I agree it would not be worth the expense. This does seem like one area where technology hasn't made much improvements. They have upgraded from the old batteries that had a memory effect problem but the overall charge and lifespan is still too short.

This is off topic but may be interesting to some of you. About the same time as I started wearing an aid in the one ear that is aidable for me I also got a basic SLR film camera. It had a simple meter in it that you set by lining up a bar in a small window. Low and behold it took a 675 battery!!! I think the ones sold for that were a hundredth of a volt difference but the guy that ran the shop where I got the camera from was also a family friend and told me it was so slight a difference it would not hurt anything or throw the reading off to use a hearing aid battery in it. I did so at times because even then I always had hearing aid batteries on hand.

Back