Other Sign Languages . . .

Muse

Reaction score
Calling out for help! :) Does anyone know which sign language this is in? I love learning from Boryana Topchieva! I can't figure out if she's doing Russian sign or a hybrid of RSL and ASL? Or something else?

She is very easy to understand even if you don't know other sign languages, but clearly a lot of her vocabulary is different from ASL.

I don't know who she is. Ask Authentic here. He is from Russia.

On YouTube it says she is from Bulgaria so I would guess she is using Bulgarian Sign Language.

Cool video.

Yes, she's from Bulgaria and I think she might be using Universal Sign Language...not sure, though..

I want to add that there really isn't an International Sign Language, per se; however, there are universal features in the various sign languages of the world that have evolved over time and this helps when there are meetings, congregations of deaf people world wide such as the Olympics, Federation organization meetings, etc, etc

Last edited:
On YouTube it says she is from Bulgaria so I would guess she is using Bulgarian Sign Language.

Cool video.

Thanks, Zephren. I wasn't sure if Bulgarians use RSL or not because I've seen Ukrainians and others use RSL.

Yes, she's from Bulgaria and I think she might be using Universal Sign Language...not sure, though..

I want to add that there really isn't an International Sign Language, per se; however, there are universal features in the various sign languages of the world that have evolved over time and this helps when there are meetings, congregations of deaf people world wide such as the Olympics, Federation organization meetings, etc, etc

Ok that makes a LOT of sense. It would explain why she is so easy to understand.

When you say USL, you're not talking about Gestuno, right? Just a natural order of international signing features that has evolved over numerous interactions?

Thanks, Zephren. I wasn't sure if Bulgarians use RSL or not because I've seen Ukrainians and others use RSL.

Ok that makes a LOT of sense. It would explain why she is so easy to understand.

When you say USL, you're not talking about Gestuno, right? Just a natural order of international signing features that has evolved over numerous interactions?
The latter, yes, is what I meant....

Calling out for help! :) Does anyone know which sign language this is in? I love learning from Boryana Topchieva! I can't figure out if she's doing Russian sign or a hybrid of RSL and ASL? Or something else?

She is very easy to understand even if you don't know other sign languages, but clearly a lot of her vocabulary is different from ASL.

She's Bulgarian and sign in International Sign Language

Back