Other Public Deaf Ed/Special Ed Teachers?

rockymountainmama

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

It looks like my first post introducing myself has turned into quite the lively debate. I figured I'd start a new post to start a new topic.

I'm a teacher in Colorado and just the other week was down at our state capitol with teachers from all around the state protesting the lack of funding from our legislators. Colorado is one of the most expensive places to live these days and we are in the bottom 5 in the entire country in K-12 funding. It's definitely had a huge impact on our SPED funding. My background is in Deaf education but I became our district's special education coordinator when we started offering most of our services in district as opposed to using the collaborative that we used to use in conjunction with other mountain districts. I'm kind of at my wits end keeping as many specialized services as possible with the miniscule budget we have, as well as trying to retain qualified teachers when we can't offer high salaries. I take it personally, especially because my daughters are in school, including my oldest daughter who is Deaf.

Are there any other public educators out there, especially Deaf Ed/SPED? I'd love to chat!

Kristen

Hello and Welcome! I think it's absolutely awesome that you brought your daughter up with ASL and you and your youngest daughter use it too.

I was going to post this in your other thread but that got locked.

Hello again everyone!

It looks like my first post introducing myself has turned into quite the lively debate. I figured I'd start a new post to start a new topic.

I'm a teacher in Colorado and just the other week was down at our state capitol with teachers from all around the state protesting the lack of funding from our legislators. Colorado is one of the most expensive places to live these days and we are in the bottom 5 in the entire country in K-12 funding. It's definitely had a huge impact on our SPED funding. My background is in Deaf education but I became our district's special education coordinator when we started offering most of our services in district as opposed to using the collaborative that we used to use in conjunction with other mountain districts. I'm kind of at my wits end keeping as many specialized services as possible with the miniscule budget we have, as well as trying to retain qualified teachers when we can't offer high salaries. I take it personally, especially because my daughters are in school, including my oldest daughter who is Deaf.

Are there any other public educators out there, especially Deaf Ed/SPED? I'd love to chat!

Kristen

I am currently in grad school getting my degree in special ed! My undergrad is in deaf studies but I am HoH myself. I’m worried about the way education will go in the future for deaf students and those needed special ed services.

I am currently in grad school getting my degree in special ed! My undergrad is in deaf studies but I am HoH myself. I’m worried about the way education will go in the future for deaf students and those needed special ed services.
AWESOME!! So your focus is on dhh kids? Did you know most sped students could acheive on a par with typical kids? Yet they're denied this or that

Hello again everyone!

Kristen
I am a teacher of the deaf and while I am not currently in a public school, I have been in the past. I have worked in both private and public settings including self-contained and itinerant work.

AWESOME!! So your focus is on dhh kids? Did you know most sped students could acheive on a par with typical kids? Yet they're denied this or that

It’s partially because of the school setting but also a big part on the teacher. If no one believes in or challenges the kid then they won’t achieve as much. I love working with dhh kids. I also have utilized sign language with all non verbal and verbal kids I have worked with before. It helps them communicate as a whole but also with their other classmates.

It’s partially because of the school setting but also a big part on the teacher. If no one believes in or challenges the kid then they won’t achieve as much. I love working with dhh kids. I also have utilized sign language with all non verbal and verbal kids I have worked with before. It helps them communicate as a whole but also with their other classmates.
Using Sign with kids with more severe developmental issues is very different from using it with dhh or even hearing kids who cannot speak due to things like trachs, apraxia etc. It doesn't mean that it doesn't help that population, b/c it DOES. But say you placed a kid with severe developmental issues ( who uses Sign in an AAC fashion) in with a Deaf crowd, they would be lost.

Using Sign with kids with more severe developmental issues is very different from using it with dhh or even hearing kids who cannot speak due to things like trachs, apraxia etc. It doesn't mean that it doesn't help that population, b/c it DOES. But say you placed a kid with severe developmental issues ( who uses Sign in an AAC fashion) in with a Deaf crowd, they would be lost.

Very true. I e had kids of all developmental ranges that I’ve worked with. I’ve found that deaf still attempt to communicate better with severely disabled than hearing try to.

Well the problem is that most mainstream teachers aren't well trained in deaf ed. Most dhh kids don't really get intense intervention with deaf ed. So instead of being one of those kids who is doing well but needs a terp or other mild accomondations they tend to underachieve academicly. Like they tend to be in Resource Room or remedial ed. I really wish that dhh programs and use of early childhood programming at a deaf school was pushed. You would see student achievement rise. Lotß of the problem is the emphasis on inclusion.

I complete agree. I wish there was a dual language school. ASL and English. For both deaf and hearing students. Everyone equal. We have Spanish dual language programs around here.

I complete agree. I wish there was a dual language school. ASL and English. For both deaf and hearing students. Everyone equal. We have Spanish dual language programs around here.

That would be the dream situtation. How big a Spanish speaking population is there where you are? And what is the size of the ASL using population?

That would be the dream situtation. How big a Spanish speaking population is there where you are? And what is the size of the ASL using population?

I’m not 100% positive but I’m just north of DC. We have people speak Russian on a regular basis around here. Language is so important.

There are dhh programs. But yeah. CODAs and sibs of dhh kids as well as nonspeaking kids could benefit strongly

Back