Oregon community college shooting, multiple casualties

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pen I see is not designed as a weapon but a gun I see is designed as a weapon. Simple as that.
Are you aware of the news about the customers at a restaurant calling cops on one customer with a visible gun and he was kicked out of the restaurant? My point is that they wouldn't call cops on a customer with a pen in his shirt pocket. Why? If you answer that they saw his gun as a weapon, not his pen, you are correct.

Point taken.

the law disagrees. anything can be used as a weapon if used to harm a person... which is why there is a criminal charge like "assault with a deadly weapon".. "aggravated assault"...

as defined by criminal law... if you tried to kill someone with a piece of broken glass or pen... that is a weapon.

nah That is not a weapon. you talking about people use non-weapon turn into as a weapon when their mind wanting to hurt someone or defend themselves with their own action. Nah, i aint going tell kids cup is a weapon and explain them how it secret hurt them or kill them. Either pillow. fingernail. dog. car. alochol. gee. Hope you saying people use it AS a weapon instead of that is a weapon.

Never said they all were, just some of them. I personally know two people with Aspergers who have serious reasoning issues and I wouldn't trust them with a gun. It's not really gun control, it's keeping the guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them in the first place.

The difference between Maine and Washington DC proves nothing. Your comparing apples to oranges. Maine has a total population of 1.33 million in the entire state, with Portland having the largest population of 66,666 people. The state also has 43.1 people per square mile. Washington DC on the other hand has a population of 658,893 and a population in excess of 6 million in the metropolitan area. The DC metro area also has 13,039 people per square mile or 302 times the number of Maine per square mile. Metropolitan areas also have a violent crime rate almost double that of a rural area and that is not just Maine vs Washington DC but throughout most of the US. In metropolitan areas the rate of violent crime known to law enforcement is on average 428 per 100,000 of population, in non metropolatain areas it is 195 per 100,000 of population. The reason Maine has fewer gun deaths is basically they have a much lower population density and fewer people per mile to shoot.

So Maine has far far more gun pere capiita, very little gun control and far far fewer gun deaths than DC and your argument is we can't find people to shoot so my point is invalid?

So Maine has far far more gun pere capiita, very little gun control and far far fewer gun deaths than DC and your argument is we can't find people to shoot so my point is invalid?

You got it! Maine also has a population that is 95% white and only 1.4% black, 91% of it's citizens are high school graduates, it has a lower percentage than the national average of people 18 and under and it has a higher percentage of it's population that are over the age of 65, these alone make it a far safer place to live than DC. Finally the study that you claim is invalid so far is the only one on the subject, so until one comes along that either confirms it or discredits it, It will have to stand as the defacto standard.

You got it! Maine also has a population that is 95% white and only 1.4% black, 91% of it's citizens are high school graduates, it has a lower percentage than the national average of people 18 and under and it has a higher percentage of it's population that are over the age of 65, these alone make it a far safer place to live than DC. Finally the study that you claim is invalid so far is the only one on the subject, so until one comes along that either confirms it or discredits it, It will have to stand as the defacto standard.

That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard to believe something. Why should anyone waste their time and money to make their own study based on that garbage? If someone makes up a study claiming we're all really living inside the earth you don't consider it a standard just because no one discredits it.

So what you're saying is Maine is safe because we're white, educated and old. How then is gun control going to change any of that?

So what you're saying is Maine is safe because we're white, educated and old. How then is gun control going to change any of that?

I'm not talking about gun control and never have been. Something clearly has to be done to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them and also to keep them off the streets. It sounds like you think that everyone should have a gun and every released prisoner should be given a gun when they leave the prison. I'm talking common sense and your talking like you want to bring back the wild west. I have absolutely no problem with someone owning a gun as long as they are of sound mind; I do however support a ban on assault rifles, other than for killing they have no other purpose and should be limited to military use.

Never said I wanted to arm criminals. I'm pointing out that gun control will not stop this kind of violence. You however are clearly talking about gun control specifically for people with ASD based on a crap study with no scientific bases.

So what is an assault rifle?

That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard to believe something. Why should anyone waste their time and money to make their own study based on that garbage? If someone makes up a study claiming we're all really living inside the earth you don't consider it a standard just because no one discredits it.

The problem you have here is you have one side who says there could be a link and goes about showing a correlation(www.medicaldaily.com/serial-killers-more-likely-have-autism-head-trau...and Dr. Allely's study) then you have other people who say there is nothing to the study or studies that link ASD with mass shootings and they all or to a large extent are representatives of the ASD community or have ASD themselves (https://www.psychologytoday.com/...aspergers/.../seria..). If there is in fact a link between ASD and head traumas it's important that we find out, so we can figure out who needs to be watched closer for signs that they are going to snap. You may not agree but everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is mine.

Never said I wanted to arm criminals. I'm pointing out that gun control will not stop this kind of violence. You however are clearly talking about gun control specifically for people with ASD based on a crap study with no scientific bases.

I never said that people with ASD's should not be allowed to own a gun, just that they need closer scrutiny when they go to buy one, so those who may exhibit violent tendency's can be weeded out.

=So what is an assault rifle?

Don't give me that NRA jargon, you as I know what guns I'm talking about!

Here is a snippet from another study on mass murderers I read: According to the 2007 Small Arms Survey, United States, Yemen, Switzerland, Finland, and Serbia, rank among the top five countries for firearms owned per capita. They are all also ranked in the top 15 countries for public mass shooters per capita. Just food for thought.

You can have your opinion but if it's media driven hate mongering I'm going to give you mine. You can't take peoples rights away because they are in a demographic that puts them at higher risk unless they do something that changes that. Discriminating against people with ASD is wrong and immoral. You are saying they are criminal until they proove otherwise.

I never said that people with ASD's should not be allowed to own a gun, just that they need closer scrutiny when they go to buy one, so those who may exhibit violent tendency's can be weeded out.

Don't give me that NRA jargon, you as I know what guns I'm talking about!

Here is a snippet from another study on mass murderers I read: According to the 2007 Small Arms Survey, United States, Yemen, Switzerland, Finland, and Serbia, rank among the top five countries for firearms owned per capita. They are all also ranked in the top 15 countries for public mass shooters per capita. Just food for thought.

I'm not giving you NRA jargon I want to know why you think these guns are different than any other.

I'll assume that you are talking about AR-15s. It's just a semi-auto rifle. Nothing more. They are common place in hunting and sport.

Do you think black people need closer scrutiny to buy a gun? Statistically they are disproportionately likely to commit homicide.

Or maybe Arabs should have a mental evaluation before they can buy guns. Maybe they should all get them before they can vote too.

You can have your opinion but if it's media driven hate mongering I'm going to give you mine. You can't take peoples rights away because they are in a demographic that puts them at higher risk unless they do something that changes that. Discriminating against people with ASD is wrong and immoral. You are saying they are criminal until they proove otherwise.

On the same token, the person that has mental issues or other problems that causes him to go into a school or other location and kills 10, 20, 70 innocent people has taken their rights away also. If it can be avoided I personally think it's worth the trouble. I have never said go after just people with ASD, I'm for giving anyone who wants to buy a firearm a mental screening: if they pass, they can buy the gun, if they don't, they can't, you might not catch everyone, but even if you only catch some of them at least there will be some families that won't have to deal with the grief of burying their family member because some nut killed them with a gun.

I'll assume that you are talking about AR-15s. It's just a semi-auto rifle. Nothing more. They are common place in hunting and sport.

That's one of them. Magazines should also be limited to only hold maybe 10 rounds, that would limit the killing power these people have because every 10 rounds they would have to reload and it would give those people with the situational awareness you are so fond of promoting a chance to attack them while they are reloading or switching weapons.

Can you show link to back this up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back