% or dB?

KristinaB: No sure if you are referring to me-Bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.A few weeks passed till the operation of July 12, 2007. My Cochlear Implant was "turned on"- Aug/07. Every time I disconnect-now-silence.Real?

The utilization of ASL et al doesn't negate actual deafness-silence. How could it?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I was referring to you. Even though you are bilateral deaf since 2006, you had to have some kind of residual hearing to get a CI and have it work for you. Am I right?

And, I never said that ASL would negate actual deafness.

KristinaB-the audiogram showed no Hearing. at 105/110 Db. I knew it- just silence. That fact hasn't changed since December 20, 2006. My Cochlear Implant doesn't change that fact either.
Still bilateral DEAF-right now.

I do hear with my Cochlear Implant-that is why I use it. As for the hypothetical assertion re "minuscule hearing available"-no idea-didn't hear anything-silence.

Last edited:
KristinaB-the audiogram showed no Hearing. at 105/110 Db. I knew it- just silence. That fact hasn't changed since December 20, 2006. My Cochlear Implant doesn't change that fact either.
Still bilateral DEAF-right now.

Okay - I get the fact that being Deaf does not change when you have a CI, so hopefully this won't start those discussions.

What I was and am saying is, for you to qualify for a CI, did you or did you not have to have some kind of residual hearing? That, from what I understand, will make the CI help you "hear" better. If your CI is not helping you at all, then why bother wearing it? I think you use it because it does help you, so you have to have some kind of residual hearing.

This will be my last post regarding this. There is no use "beating the dead horse".

Okay - I get the fact that being Deaf does not change when you have a CI, so hopefully this won't start those discussions.

What I was and am saying is, for you to qualify for a CI, did you or did you not have to have some kind of residual hearing? That, from what I understand, will make the CI help you "hear" better. If your CI is not helping you at all, then why bother wearing it? I think you use it because it does help you, so you have to have some kind of residual hearing.

This will be my last post regarding this. There is no use "beating the dead horse".

No you do not need residual hearing to get a CI.

EDITED: Just scrolled down and saw this has already been answered

Last edited:
I should probably just let this go, but no ENT or Audiologist told you that. Period.

I guess my life and all in Missouri was just all a dream then. 3 of the people were at the University of St. Louis Department of Otolaryngology (sp?)

None of the above discussion re : "small residual hearing left" was mentioned to me at Sunnybrook/Cochlear Implant section when I there in 2007 going through the process.

I will contact to audilogist I will tell you few screen I will more information update

I guess my life and all in Missouri was just all a dream then. 3 of the people were at the University of St. Louis Department of Otolaryngology (sp?)

To rephrase, noone that told you that should be an ENT or Audiologist.

Back to % loss.

The problem is that the % loss that people are quoted often excludes the average hearing loss for the persons age. So a 70 year old might be told they have 30% hearing loss when in fact they have a 50% loss because it's 'normal' for a 70 year old to have a 20% hearing loss.

Now the aural comm. problems between 30% and 50% is v large which causes confusion.

The reason the age related loss if often excluded is because % loss is heavily associated with insurance claims for industrial deafness which exclude the amount of hearing loss due to the aging process.

Another problem is that there are many different methods of working out % loss.

For this reason most professionals will use dBHL as it is standardised. Personally I would recommend walking out of any aud that just threw out a % without explaining things properly.

Okay - I stand corrected. I had been told otherwise by at least 10-12 people and professionals.

There may be an indirect reason for this.

Technically, you don't need ANY residual hearing to get the CI.

Mentally, it may be much easier to adjust to sound of the CI IF you had residual hearing. So doctors are more likely to give the CI to one who has heard sounds before.

See what I mean?

Is it possible they were referring to the benefits of having auditory memory, having had some level of hearing in the past, rather than having residual hearing at the time of implantation? I can definitely see that being a help for someone late-implanted. I know many people who were implanted without any detectable hearing level.

The CI completely bypasses any remaining hair cells that might be providing the tiniest bit of residual hearing (and can even destroy them in the surgical process). Most people with CIs are as physiologically deaf as you can possibly be. I think the only time residual hearing comes into the picture is when there's too much of it to qualify for a CI, and the person can use hearing aids, instead.

Is it possible they were referring to the benefits of having auditory memory, having had some level of hearing in the past, rather than having residual hearing at the time of implantation? I can definitely see that being a help for someone late-implanted. I know many people who were implanted without any detectable hearing level.

The CI completely bypasses any remaining hair cells that might be providing the tiniest bit of residual hearing (and can even destroy them in the surgical process). Most people with CIs are as physiologically deaf as you can possibly be. I think the only time residual hearing comes into the picture is when there's too much of it to qualify for a CI, and the person can use hearing aids, instead.
Does all that boil down to doctor's personal ethics, I wonder.

I think anybody should call themselves what they want to. I'm at 115 db with some residual hearing, and I still call myself deaf and Deaf. I would not consider ever calling myself anything else.

Back