% or dB?

Damn, I thought I was good at math, but all this makes me go :run:

that's ok DD we still adore your endless simulation skills. :D
And I think the 76 was probably a freudian slip. Thinking of going to the gas station?? j/k ;)

Heck, even I don't get half the stuff that goes on in there. I'm just a jack of many trades.

As a teacher, we are only allowed to say dB in terms of explaining an audiogram to someone during a meeting...even then, we have to be careful because we're not audiologist. I was told we are not allowed to use %, ever. :dunno:

My last audiogram shows arrows pointing away from the graph at 120db and then the audiologist wrote 100% deaf in the notes area.

Not literally "true" of course.:wave:

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I suspect the usage of % rather than DB is that Deafness is usually classified as 105 db and for most of us indicate a loss of "100%". Just a comparison which is not exact however does indicate the increasing "loss to deafness" in "ordinary language". This usage has been around for a long time.
Better one available?

I suspect the usage of % rather than DB is that Deafness is usually classified as 105 db and for most of us indicate a loss of "100%". Just a comparison which is not exact however does indicate the increasing "loss to deafness" in "ordinary language". This usage has been around for a long time.
Better one available?

Very, very, very few people have an audiological deafness of 100% across the board. That is why it is better to describe in dB. And even the description in dB is limiting when discussing functional levels. And what the dB levels are actually determining is not deafness, but level of loss.

Isn't real deafness "total loss"-silence? I exclude self-defined "cultural Deafness"

I sometimes wish he could "walk in my shoes" just for one week. Then he would know what total silence is. He may think he does, but he uses a CI, that must mean he has some kind of residual hearing. He already admitted to not learning ASL, so I have a small advantage there. I don't know much, but I'm getting there.

KristinaB: No sure if you are referring to me-Bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.A few weeks passed till the operation of July 12, 2007. My Cochlear Implant was "turned on"- Aug/07. Every time I disconnect-now-silence.Real?

The utilization of ASL et al doesn't negate actual deafness-silence. How could it?

I say...0 dB...Super hearing skills

10 db..not so super hearing skills

20 dB...Excellent hearing skills but nothing extrordinary

30 db...in rare rare situations..."huh?"

40 dB.......more of the 'huh?" sitiatopms

50 dB...."What?!"....:Whaat did you say?"

60 dB....the nodding of the head starts in a very very situations

70 dB....more nodding happening

80 dB....nodding plus the "Deer in Headlights" look

90 dB...desperately reading lips as hard but still catching some phrases here and there

100 db...fully dependent on lipreading but can pass for heairng

110 db..."Never minds" or "I will tell you later" begins

120 db...FORGET IT!!!!

I am at 120 dB so I say :fu: to faking at being hearing. lol

90 dB...desperately reading lips as hard but still catching some phrases here and there

120 db...FORGET IT!!!!

I think the neverminds begin way before 110 dbs.

I get the neverminds a lot, so who knows.

Only the audiogram will tell me where I'm at.

I get the neverminds a lot, so who knows.

Only the audiogram will tell me where I'm at.

Nope. The audiogram will give you an estimation of what you might be able to hear under ideal (sound proof testing booth) conditions. Only you know where you really are.;)

120 db...FORGET IT!!!!

Just a heads up, I know several people who can hear below -10 dB.... That's SUPER hearing skillz. 0dB is normal.

Back