If you could get a hearing dog, would you?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StarsDance

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm an ASL 1 student. For my class I need to write a research paper on hearing dogs. For this assignment I need an interview, and it would be amazing if I could get some of your opinions the topic. Here are some questions, but if you have any other thoughts on it, please tell me! It would be very helpful.

1) If you could get a hearing dog, would you? Why/why not?

2) Do they help? Or would they be unnecessary for you?

3) What is your opinion on hearing dogs?

1. Yes because I can't hear many sounds and I don't wear hearing aids around the house. I have my 4 year old and 3 year old tell me when ever something is happening, ie. Baby crying or door.
2. It would give me and my hard of hearing wife more freedom and independence both at home and in public. Plus I can stop being paranoid of my surroundings.
3.i was training one a few years back. It's a lot of work. Unfortunately my dog had to find a new home, he was mouthy with my kids. I would love to start over with a younger dog. I like the programs but the wait times are crazy long.

I would but I neither have the money nor the time. The ones I've read about want you to spend four weeks (at your expense) to work with them for training, so you drive out or fly out. You'd have to be unemployed or have a really good job to have that kind of time to just leave at their request.

Laura

I picked up a fear of dogs from my father and never overcame it. So why would I want a hearing dog when I don't want to be around dogs period!

I love Dogs!...and all animals. I did get bit by a German Shepard once but it did not make me fearful of dogs. I've had a dog every since childhood. My current doggie is 9 years old, a Pomeranian and we are very closely bonded, we're best friends.

I have a hearing hubby. He yells at me so I understand him, is very messy but does not shed. Training has been a long and arduous process. On the plus side, he picks up things off the floor and will bring me pills I forgot or an extra blanket after I've gotten into bed. As a person who uses a wheelchair this is handy. Often once I've settled my ungainly body into bed I really do not want to get up again for something I forgot. Vet bills are going to be high, down the road, as he is very sedentary. :ot:

Back