Opinions/Experiences?

Hello! I am a hearing person, and my passion is writing stories. One of the novels that I have been working on for a long time has a character who lost his hearing suddenly when he was 12. The book occurs when he is 19.

I have been doing a lot of research in order to write him as realistically and as respectfully as possible, and I would love it if you could help me out by sharing your personal experiences and opinions! It would be especially helpful if you have experienced sudden hearing loss, or hearing loss in your teens.

My story happens in a fantasy world where music is magic. Because my character, Jaxith, can't hear, he is immune to magic. The country where he grows up has a religion based on music, and because he cannot hear he is viewed as being cursed. However, because of his immunity to magic, he is sent as a spy to an enemy country. His job is to explore and research the architecture of their strongest fortress from the inside, in order to find a weakness. I'm not going to give away the ending, but during the course of the story I want him to go from not understanding why he is deaf, to accepting it and embracing it as a part of who he is, and basically becoming culturally Deaf. (Although that will look different for him because it's in a fantasy world, not our world. :) )

Some specific questions I have are:
-Since he was hearing until 12, he learned how to speak orally. How long would it take him to develop a 'deaf accent'? Would it be very noticeable?

-Could he learn to speak (orally) another language? I have been told by hearing people that they don't believe it would be possible... but I want to know what you think. What are your experiences?

Feel free to comment with your opinion, questions, or your personal experience! Everything is helpful.

Communication Software for Deaf Hard of Hearing - NexTalk