Opinion on my kitchen remodel

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
We are going to refinish our kitchen cabinets. We have a large kitchen with worn oak cabinets. I want to have them redone in white with black handles. Hubby is so against covering "real" wood. We have already done the counter tops in black granite and have new appliances that are chrome with black.

Would you have a problem covering oak cabinets in white?

Help me convince him please!!!!:giggle:

I'll try to post a picture of my kitchen soon. Thank's for the help.

If I can find my old kitchen at my second house, they were dark walnut I painted white, looked awesome. Ill see if I can find them

No problem doing it at all. We've done it. :D

We have real oak cabinets that we painted white, and put black hardware on them.

I'll warn you now that if you do it yourself, sand them, use primer and then several coats of white paint. White over oak isn't the easiest to cover.

Colored cabinets are in fashion now, too. TCS painted the same kind of cabinets for a neighbor, using gray paint, and they look very nice with nickel-finish hardware.

I would have them professionally done. We started our remodel four years ago......need to finish this thing.

I have to agree that white over oak isn't the easiest to do. We tried that years ago. When we built our new house we opted to go dark on everything. ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1443751098.335091.jpg. Trends of the time.

If you are going to paint oak make sure the wood grain is filled prior to painting, the finished product will be much better looking. If it were my kitchen I would order new paint grade door and drawer fronts and use those instead; the cost for the new doors and drawer fronts are pretty reasonable, just don't buy them at Home Depot or Lowes go through a door manufacturer in your area.

I don't have any problem at all. Most of the cabinets are veneer, and make it sort like a cheap cabinet. Paint it over, it does come out bold and beauty.

I been doing wood work since 1976.

If you are going to paint oak make sure the wood grain is filled prior to painting, the finished product will be much better looking. If it were my kitchen I would order new paint grade door and drawer fronts and use those instead; the cost for the new doors and drawer fronts are pretty reasonable, just don't buy them at Home Depot or Lowes go through a door manufacturer in your area.
I like the wood grain even painted over, gives it characture. Nothing wrong with the grain showing.

Since our cabinets were solid oak, they do still have the oak grain texture even under several coats of white paint. Our decor is casual beach cottage style with lots of light colors, so it works for us.

My daughter has the darker, more formal and stylish decor in her house (not quite three years old).

There is no right or wrong one-style-fits-all.

My kitchen (the lighting in these pictures is bad; the cabinets are whiter than they look here):

Attachments

• sink (1).jpg
    sink (1).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 28
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 30
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 25
I have agree with your hubby..Oak lovely wood should make big feature..I got wood some is beech it started looking manky so we strip it back diluted acid stuff I find name if I can .Then about six week of Danish oil.Looks good as new

Reba, your kitchen looks lovely!

Thank you.

TCS does almost all the work himself. He painted the cabinets, added crown molding to the tops, laid the oak flooring, created the beaded board ceiling, installed the sink and faucets, changed out the sliding glass doors, and installed the glass tile backsplash. The only things we hired out was the quartz countertop and the custom appliance garage (which TCS installed).

Reb my kitchen doors identical but wood colour.

I have agree with your hubby..Oak lovely wood should make big feature..I got wood some is beech it started looking manky so we strip it back diluted acid stuff I find name if I can .Then about six week of Danish oil.Looks good as new
Oak is nice but we had too much in the small kitchen. The cabinets are real oak, the floors are real oak, and the kitchen table is real oak.

Also, our cabinets are only 26 years old--not antique or even classic, just old. :lol:

Blimey more I look more identical it is shape sink placement draining boards the lot.As I unable put picks up I don't need to you done it for me.my lighting is halogen on ceiling then in and other places different lights that lower.It east facing bit narrow but long.i have split oven top gas oven electic

Reba,
How you like the dual oven? Does the top oven cook pretty evenly? I been reading about there's some issue with top oven? Pro and Con?

Your kitchen look nice!

My kitchen (the lighting in these pictures is bad; the cabinets are whiter than they look here):

I like baskets too , what is that bass color thing over your stove ? Your stained glass birds are cute . Cute house !

Reba,
How you like the dual oven? Does the top oven cook pretty evenly? I been reading about there's some issue with top oven? Pro and Con?

Your kitchen look nice!
Thank you.

We use the top oven the most. We very rarely use the larger lower oven. The top oven is perfect for the two of us. It holds one large cookie/baking sheet or a couple of casserole-type containers. It has all the features of the lower oven except no convection or broiler. It's kind of a glorified built-in toaster oven. I love it.

The only time we use the lower oven is for holiday baking or large quantities of cookies (for giving away). At Thanksgiving we put main dishes in the lower and heat the rolls in the upper.

It seems to heat evenly to me. I've never had any issues with it.

I like baskets too , what is that bass color thing over your stove ? Your stained glass birds are cute . Cute house !
Thank you.

I'm not sure what color you mean but I have a pot filler behind/over the stove. It's brushed stainless steel like my other faucet set at the sink.

Back