Open to new friends

Capricorn1964

Reaction score
Hello-

Am profoundly deaf and was mainstreamed most of my life- Am considered an oralist but I do speak and read lips extremely well-

Currently live in the DC area (Virginia side) and am open to new friends whether local or not, including internationally-

I work as a corporate finance professional for a government contractor and love what I do. Been doing this type of work for over 20+ years and not about to stop either.

About me, I am a military brat having been born in and lived in Germany for a good portion of my childhood. Educated at GMU and RIT (Bachelors and Masters degree). Love good stimulating conversations, woodworking (Restoring several furniture pieces right now), reading good non-fiction books, hiking, working on my house, working out, movies, and many other good activities.

Would welcome new friends to chat and to get to know-- Not into pretentious people or BS. Am very real and expect in kind.

Welcome I'm Kara. I'm moderately hard of hearing in my right ear and mildly hard of hearing in my left ear. I love to read as well,

Welcome! I'm a military brat too. I lost my hearing at age 6 from a car accident and was mainstreamed with hearing aids. I used FM systems and had an aid on and off who used signed English or voicing. I got a BAHA in high school and have been more or less oral since. I'm learning ASL now and am trying to get more involved in the Deaf community.

How did you like RIT? I'm in my last year of a bachelors in counseling and my ASL professor is encouraging me to look at Gallaudet for a masters. I was looking at University of Hawai'i (where my dad is from) and in state programs possibly but Gallaudet has the same program.

I'd love to chat more sometime!

Back