ONSTAR is watching on you? ha...

I think GM Performance sell aftermarket controller, might work with V8 engines. Anytime you replace BCM (body control module), Anti Theft module or other modules, you need to reprogram the modules cuz the VIN need to port to the new modules by use phone to download the modules where the modules can communicate with other modules. The reprogram modules are done by dealerships. I better stay with old school cars.

I did replaced the new PCM/BCM then put then the VIN number in GM scan tool. then flash it and no phone need.

I used work at GM dealer and I saw many auto tech reprogrammed thru computer (newer cars) so computer already connect to GM's HQ for under GM's member only thru internet or scan tool without phone. The phone is waste of time.

The old school car 80's - 90's are worse like PCM under dashboard or inside the firewall. It's take few hours to replace to the PCM. Most newer's PCM are top of battery and take 5 minutes to replaced then reprogrammed 5-10 minutes depend on speed of computer and internet.

What's does with 5th wheeler? Do the label said anything about 5th wheeler?

So, Only heavy-duty pickup truck can do 5th wheeler. Light duty truck? BIG NO.

I dunno, but follow the owner manual or label on the door jamb for towing capacity. For Jiro's Xterra, he don't need to worry about the lightweight trailer to hauling....Heavy trailer or overweight lightweight trailer, would bother the tranny.....yes I pray for tranny job but Jiro is always smart. Geee

I did replaced the new PCM/BCM then put then the VIN number in GM scan tool. then flash it and no phone need.

I used work at GM dealer and I saw many auto tech reprogrammed thru computer (newer cars) so computer already connect to GM's HQ for under GM's member only thru internet or scan tool without phone. The phone is waste of time.

PM u tonight

I dunno, but follow the owner manual or label on the door jamb for towing capacity. For Jiro's Xterra, he don't need to worry about the lightweight trailer to hauling....Heavy trailer or overweight lightweight trailer, would bother the tranny.....yes I pray for tranny job but Jiro is always smart. Geee

yup yup. i would have to replace oil often and if I do it often, I'll need to install cooler system.

but then.. if I do it often, I think it's silly to do it with Xterra lol. I would exchange it with Frontier. or maybe Titan.

Oh... I love to watch TV show - Jiro and Chris

PM u tonight

I pm with The Highlander..... he is correct cuz I think the computer plugs phone jack but not... When you need to have Tech 2 (GM factory scan tool) and PC to set up the reprogramming the new modules such as PCM, TCM or Anti Theft security etc.. when all set then contact factory or HQ then they verifies the VIN then download or calibrate the module(s) thru internet. I myself never been experienced on that before. Dealerships pay nothings. For repair shops or freelance reprogrammers, pay subscription services...not cheap.

yup yup. i would have to replace oil often and if I do it often, I'll need to install cooler system.

but then.. if I do it often, I think it's silly to do it with Xterra lol. I would exchange it with Frontier. or maybe Titan.

Stay with Xterra... Frontier is ok to me. Titan? Too big for you plus pay more gas (91 octane) and 5.6L V8.

OBDII Port GPS Device

I picked up a 2002 Toyota Sienna for a smog check today, this van looks plain and nothing fancy things inside. I random the OBDII diagnostic in menu (smog machine) to check the monitors and MIL statue before officially state inspection, grab OBDII cable to plugging the OBDII port and able not locate the OBDII port (emptied mounting bracket where the OBDII port place in), spot a white connector (OBDII port) with black box along with harness under the dash next to the HVAC box and gas pedal. I pull it, like I say what the heck, the black box was attaching to the OBDII port. I never seen it before, suspects the box might be a performance chip. I rejected it and not want to disconnect the black box and inform a service writer... About 2 hours later, the owner came to disconnect the black box, was told that it is for GPS device. I never hear it before.. but I processed the smog inspection on this van and passed it.

Attachments

• th_IMAG0344.jpg
    th_IMAG0344.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 8
  • th_IMAG0342.jpg
    th_IMAG0342.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 7
  • th_IMAG0343-1.jpg
    th_IMAG0343-1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 6
  • th_IMAG0341.jpg
    th_IMAG0341.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 7
As tonight, I googled the GPS devices, found the name of the device is gpsplugntrack.com. Interesting about the devices

I picked up a 2002 Toyota Sienna for a smog check today, this van looks plain and nothing fancy things inside. I random the OBDII diagnostic in menu (smog machine) to check the monitors and MIL statue before officially state inspection, grab OBDII cable to plugging the OBDII port and able not locate the OBDII port (emptied mounting bracket where the OBDII port place in), spot a white connector (OBDII port) with black box along with harness under the dash next to the HVAC box and gas pedal. I pull it, like I say what the heck, the black box was attaching to the OBDII port. I never seen it before, suspects the box might be a performance chip. I rejected it and not want to disconnect the black box and inform a service writer... About 2 hours later, the owner came to disconnect the black box, was told that it is for GPS device. I never hear it before.. but I processed the smog inspection on this van and passed it.

They are awful tiny. Please upload to imageshack then image resize to 640x480. Not 100x75.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Owner does not know? It look like his wife installed GPS device for tracking his car where did he go like he dating someone or he might be an adultery. oh plz...

Owner does not know? It look like his wife installed GPS device for tracking his car where did he go like he dating someone or he might be an adultery. oh plz...

well the owner told him that it's for GPS so he knew. It's possible that he's under Progressive Insurance's Snapshot Discount program.

If owner does not know then how he knew about it and disconnect it and explained to deafsmogtech about GPS?

It's perfect for avoid from cop ticket, watch son/daughter teenage driver,etc.

Did you know that police's radar gun is not 100% perfect? Like you drive 45 mph and radar gun said 49 Mph or probably 55 MPH. So GPS is better proof for court.

Sometime dashboard's speedmeter is not correct due wrong size of tires or miscalibration. I noticed my old Ford's speedmeter is 6 mph off, VW is 0 MPH off, Subaru's 1 MPH off, and Mazda's 2 MPH off. You can try your Android as GPS and you will see.

GPS vs. Radar: Teen's Parents Use GPS Tracker to Contest Speeding Ticket

I don't know but possible.... the owner of a Sienna van is old man like mine, maybe he is monitoring his teenager kid(s), or where his van go... Maybe he track his young wife....

You mean they (insurance company) track his van?

Yup. Progressive offers gps tracking program if you want discount in insurance premiums. It will monitor your driving habit, speed, etc. if you're a very good driver, then get this to save money.

It's 100% voluntary and you can choose to opt out of this program anytime.

If owner does not know then how he knew about it and disconnect it and explained to deafsmogtech about GPS?

It's perfect for avoid from cop ticket, watch son/daughter teenage driver,etc.

Did you know that police's radar gun is not 100% perfect? Like you drive 45 mph and radar gun said 49 Mph or probably 55 MPH. So GPS is better proof for court.

Sometime dashboard's speedmeter is not correct due wrong size of tires or miscalibration. I noticed my old Ford's speedmeter is 6 mph off, VW is 0 MPH off, Subaru's 1 MPH off, and Mazda's 2 MPH off. You can try your Android as GPS and you will see.

GPS vs. Radar: Teen's Parents Use GPS Tracker to Contest Speeding Ticket

He removed a GPS device then he know it. Anytime I see any devices connect to the OBDII port then I reject it from smog inspection. Firm. Because I think this device is performance chip, no matter what they looks like.... No device connect to the OBDII port allow during smog inspection. After passed or failed smog inspection, you can put it back..

Sounds perfect for deaf parents that they can track their CODA teenager kids, bust CODA kids....

Yup. Progressive offers gps tracking program if you want discount in insurance premiums. It will monitor your driving habit, speed, etc. if you're a very good driver, then get this to save money.

It's 100% voluntary and you can choose to opt out of this program anytime.

Probe my private.... no way but my old van doesn't have an OBDII port :giggle:

Back