Only for Deaf (as in always) - Can you understand music?

NYNY

Reaction score
Folks:
This applies only to those who were likely deaf in the womb.

Can you understand music in any way? Like do you know what
a musical scale would be or what a rhythm or perhaps more difficult, a melody is?

When I went to a concert at the Freemont School for the Deaf in CA, (husband of a Deaf woman in my dept. worked there), we went and were blasted out of our seats (well, my friend was :) ) and we held balloons to feel the vibrations. The dDeaf performers danced and gave a great show. The speakers were probably the largest I had ever seen and should've scared a normal person :).

I started using dDeaf because I don't know who's deaf like me or Deaf since birth. If you want me to change that if it's confusing, let me know.

The word for deaf mean you are deaf with oral only (never learn ASL) and deaf also mean that is a medical term for the doctor to tell the parents that the child is deaf.

The Capital D for Deaf mean that the Deaf person sign ASL, not oral only method. It has nothing to do with being born or at birth.

I was born deaf. How in world would a baby feel the vibration inside of the womb if I should remembered which I don't remembered? Why should I answer that? Idiot :roll:

I do not believe any Deaf person would be able to understand a thing called sounds. Give you an example

Can you make a born blind person "sees" the color of purple? How is it possible for Born Blind that never see color purple get the idea what it looks like? Same concept with Deaf, simple as is.

I can go deeper, but it would backfire and Alex would not be entertained.

The Capital D for Deaf mean that the Deaf person sign ASL, not oral only method. It has nothing to do with being born or at birth.

As I understand it, the capital D meant that one identifies themselves as member of the Deaf community. However, people can know ASL, but do not identify themselves with the Deaf community.

OP, as far as the term deaf goes, I believe it means anyone who does not have full hearing.

Then there is late deafened which means people who lost hearing or were impaired by hearing loss after adulthood. In some discussions, this is an important distinction. Someone might have a small amount of loss, but not experience any difference in their childhood compared to someone who has full hearing. Later, when those people experience more loss they experience the social of effects deafness.

There are many degrees of deafness. Some people can make out the words in songs and others cannot.

I believe you are asking if someone born with absolutely no hearing ability(rare) whether they can understand music. I have friends who do no use any hearing technology and listen to music through vibration. They also dance as well.

I enjoy music with my hearing aides even if it sounds awful to hearing people. It is all I know and I have nothing to compare it to.

If hearing people complain about the music in my car...

^^^^^^^^^^ lol!!!!!!

I was born Deaf. I do enjoy the musics. I can tell if they play piano or any other instruments but I don't understand voices but familiar with voices. Guess I grew up with hearing four siblings. I do like listening to the musics in my car.

Add to edit: of course I wear hearing aid to listen.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by deaf really. When I was a child, I had severe hearing loss, and I learned to play the bass and loved it.

If I was completely deaf, it wouldn't have been possible.

The word for deaf mean you are deaf with oral only (never learn ASL) and deaf also mean that is a medical term for the doctor to tell the parents that the child is deaf.

I was born deaf. How in world would a baby feel the vibration inside of the womb if I should remembered which I don't remembered? Why should I answer that? Idiot :roll:
You wear name-calling through ignorance well.

There are a number of things the fetus can sense in the womb. That's why mothers-to-be read, sing, and talk to the fetus. Now, I will lead myself from temptation and end this.

I do not believe any Deaf person would be able to understand a thing called sounds. Give you an example

Can you make a born blind person "sees" the color of purple? How is it possible for Born Blind that never see color purple get the idea what it looks like? Same concept with Deaf, simple as is.

I can go deeper, but it would backfire and Alex would not be entertained.
I disagree with your analogy (other than Alex would shut this down). It's not as simple with someone born deaf. That's why the School for the Deaf handed out balloons to feel vibrations and power-blasted the speakers. Even without hearing now, I feel rhythm. Even without hearing, I had a Deaf friend years ago who played guitar. There are deaf/Deaf composers because they understand how compositions work.

Depends on what you mean by deaf really. When I was a child, I had severe hearing loss, and I learned to play the bass and loved it.

If I was completely deaf, it wouldn't have been possible.
Glad you learned to play the bass - that's pretty darn cool. I played the cello and loved it, too.

Thanks, Bottesini.

I was born deaf, and am culturally Deaf.

Anyways, I can hear sounds with my HAs, although I don't always know right away what they are. It takes repetitive listening to understand that it's my dogs barking, for example, to know what that is. It's learned sound.

Having said that, maybe because I don't know what most sounds are, it's very surprising how much I like music. For the most part, music is very soothing. Exceptions would be music like rap because then it's just a bunch of noise and words. I cannot make out the lyrics to any song unless I learn them first, and I think even then after I've learned them, it only helps me follow the song along. So, my music choices are about what sound appealing to me.

Why would you think Alex would shut this down?

SMH, you could disagree, but the reality is... well too many people around the world kept their mind shut about whats it is really Deaf. It all goes down to sense that is missing. Once the sense is not working, there is no way it would work just fine. Deaf, Blind both have in common.. Loss sense of Visual, Loss sense of Hearing, same thing cause it is all about the sense (Nevermind the head, it is related to the sensory).

I disagree with your analogy (other than Alex would shut this down). It's not as simple with someone born deaf. That's why the School for the Deaf handed out balloons to feel vibrations and power-blasted the speakers. Even without hearing now, I feel rhythm. Even without hearing, I had a Deaf friend years ago who played guitar. There are deaf/Deaf composers because they understand how compositions work.

You wear name-calling through ignorance well.

There are a number of things the fetus can sense in the womb. That's why mothers-to-be read, sing, and talk to the fetus. Now, I will lead myself from temptation and end this.

On the bold, that is for the hearing babies and maybe for the mild hearing loss babies, not for the deaf babies.

Sometimes

I listen to music hell of a lot, so much that it has made my hearing drop a little. I used to use the Phonak iCom but there was so many problems with that after six years, I gave up and tried to use normal earphones with my phone, mp3 and computer. Previously I could listen to music and still be able to pick out the basic chorus and some instruments or tones. But since my hearing dropped, I haven't been picking them up as easily as I used to. Definitely noticeable when I listen to new music. Hearing music without anything but my hearing aid is kinda boring as it can't really amplify the bass but I can feel and hear bass with my earphones :P

I wasn't born deaf.

I did, however, lose a great deal of hearing at an early age. I had severe-profound loss in one ear that became more profound in my early 30s. My other ear has had no measurable hearing since I was diagnosed. I was very ahead of other kids in my language development before I lost my hearing, so that is something that has always worked in my favor insofar as speech and anything else related to the use of hearing that I did have.

My dad plays drums so I was always surrounded by music. That probably helped a good deal as well.

I could tell most major instruments apart. There were a few that were confusing but those were in the minority. If I confused two instruments, I could at least tell what family the instrument in question belonged to. When I had a hearing aid, I was able to give a basic understanding of what at least a few of the instruments were doing in the song. However, I grew up with good sound quality, despite unilateral hearing and was lucky in that dept. Most of the time I could not understand the lyrics from listening alone. I could hear them for the most part. I had to read the lyrics or know them beforehand to make sense of all of them. I could understand a minority of lyrics on listening alone, but that was very dependent on artist, song, type, and if there was instrumental music going on or not and what kind.

Now with my CI, I am able to understand the lyrics much more on auditory alone. Not 100%, but definitely more than what I could do previously. With respect to instruments, I can understand much more of what is going on. With a hearing aid, it was like hearing the main parts. I still don't have any complaints about that. But with a CI, it's like hearing most of the score without having to look at it.

People who have natural hearing at normal levels don't always understand every song's words through listening alone. They too can have difficulty with this, so I don't kick myself about it too much.

Back