Online Relay in Canada ? Will it ever happen ?

Anij

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just missing something, but with all the various USA only internet relay services ... why is there nothing in canada (yes , I know we have no funding... )

I have my Uniphone that I use as my primary phone/TTY but I'd really rather prefer being able to use my computer ... or for that matter be able to use Relay from my cell phone (not a blackberry)

Ideas ? Suggestions ? is there a way to work around the USA only online relay issue ?

(just to clarify ... I'm not currently looking for VRS, just standard TTY text input)

anyone ??

Canucks ... I know you're out there ...

I don't know about that since I don't use IP relay at all. I use HOVRS (Hands On Video Relay Service). You can download an application for your PC, it's free. For Mac, you can add HOVRS to your AIM list on iChat.

I don't know about that since I don't use IP relay at all. I use HOVRS (Hands On Video Relay Service). You can download an application for your PC, it's free. For Mac, you can add HOVRS to your AIM list on iChat.

Can you call any hearing person in Canada in use HOVRS by your PC ( not videophone)?

HOVRS called must originate in the USA ... which means you can all out, but we can't call in ...
(this is the problem I've had with all the online relays ... and they are able to determine your location via IP address etc...

HOVRS called must originate in the USA ... which means you can all out, but we can't call in ...
(this is the problem I've had with all the online relays ... and they are able to determine your location via IP address etc...

I live in Canada, I can use HOVRS. They know I am Canadian.

I live in Canada, I can use HOVRS. They know I am Canadian.

Huh ... ok , I'll have to try maybe (but I don't have a webcam ... I'm used to typing lol )

Their Website says it the call must originate from within the USA .. maybe they've relaxed this rule ??

thanks !

Back