Online ASL Interpreting Program?

Discussion in 'Sign Language & Deaf Education' started by abcdemily, Mar 9, 2012.

1. abcdemily

abcdemily New Member

I want to become a Sign Language Interpreter but I can't find a program that is offered online where I can get a Bachelors I don't have enough money to relocate to another state and the program that is offered near me just got cut because of budget cuts please please please please!!! Help me!!:ty:

2. Reba

Reba Retired Terp Premium Member

3. Mohave

Mohave New Member

4. kellycat

kellycat New Member

I am curious, does anyone know about the quality of these or other online interpreter programs? I am trying to find a way to work an ITP around my teaching schedule, so a full-time program isn't an option, although I will be able to take one semester of leave if I need to, and can do more during summers. I want to do this, but can't really quit my job to go back to school full-time. I already have a graduate degree, so I don't need to worry about getting a full undergrad degree for licensing, I can do just the interpreter program, but would like to be able to go for full national certification when I am done, if that would be possible.

I am basically fluent in ASL, so if the program is a little weak on language development, that is okay. I have a good mind for grammar/language, and I hang around enough Deaf people, terps, and other signers that I can practice outside of the program too.

Any advice you can give would be welcome!

5. manicmashup

manicmashup New Member

Try Troy University. (Troy University) You pay instate tuition, it is a BA and fully online. You just have to pass at an intermediate plus level on the assessment test done from NTID to start the ITP major. I got in in a week. It has been rad. I start in August.
    There's a pretty difficult internship/practicum which you have to set up, they will not connect you with mentors, but Im really looking forward to it.

Hope that helps!

6. Kitten

Kitten New Member

Please keep us posted about your experience at Troy. Sounds interesting.