One woman's View

I personally don't give a flip what other people or "communities" think.

That's right. I don't share that view of deafness. I find that in my case, deafness is a disability. Deafness can restrict you, can restrict the life that you live. I've found that with my cochlear implant, those restrictions have been removed in many cases, and my life is enormously enriched.

I was told by a "VOC rehab" counselor that I have a disability.... But I can't get the good parking spaces in front of Wal-Mart...
I was at the point where I could NOT fully understand conversations with HA's. And I had the high dollar HA's!
Since the CI (in the right ear), I stopped wearing the HA in my left ear.
I feel (for me) it was distorting the sound to the point of messing with my CI hearing.

I totally agree with the above quote

I personally don't give a flip what other people or "communities" think.

I was told by a "VOC rehab" counselor that I have a disability.... But I can't get the good parking spaces in front of Wal-Mart...
I was at the point where I could NOT fully understand conversations with HA's. And I had the high dollar HA's!
Since the CI (in the right ear), I stopped wearing the HA in my left ear.
I feel (for me) it was distorting the sound to the point of messing with my CI hearing.

I have been having the same situation...With my single CI I cannot wear my HA in other ear...the transmission of the sound is different for each one, so it sounds like an echo.

I am having problems with getting the proper adjustments with the CI..Even after 2 adjustments , it is just not right...Everything sounds like too much bass.

Perhaps I am not explaining it correctly to the Audiologist...I was never familiar with music notes or sounds..so I do not know how to describe sounds. (I was mostly deaf most of my life...So, I could distinguish between bass and treble, but not much in between.)

sounds like an echo.

I am having problems with getting the proper adjustments with the CI..Even after 2 adjustments , it is just not right...Everything sounds like too much bass.

Everyone has told me about "robotic" sounds for awhile... I am taking it in stride. I do strive to have TV and radio on as much as possible to "practice" hearing voices (and making sense of them). My audi just told me to have patience and I am taking her advice.
I can see slow improvement, but it is week by week maybe. My next appointment is in 3 months. We'll see....

I have been having the same situation...With my single CI I cannot wear my HA in other ear...the transmission of the sound is different for each one, so it sounds like an echo.

So do you wish you could have the hearing aid helping with one ear and the cochlear implant helping with the other ear and them both working together and not echoing and being a nuisance ?

So do you wish you could have the hearing aid helping with one ear and the cochlear implant helping with the other ear and them both working together and not echoing and being a nuisance ?

I am not sure at this point. The HA ear hears garbled amplified sound. And the transmission time is different for both (that is the echo sensation).

So, I am simply not using the HA...And thinking of a 2nd CI, as I have already been approved. ..So, I will think about it for a couple of months (seeing how this current CI develops).

(sorry for late reply...I have been off line for a while, healing from a medical thing).

Back