one ear dragging you down?

JennyB

Reaction score
Has anyone else had the problem of one ear "dragging you down"? I seem to hear better without my left aid because all I hear is pure noise.

Has anyone else had the problem of one ear "dragging you down"? I seem to hear better without my left aid because all I hear is pure noise.

If you hear better without it, take it out!! Do the tests show it, or is it an observation you have made yourself?

i think its cuz you get ALL the noise with the ha's ive found that too with my naids too...it picks up everything and alot of the time its what u dont want to hear lol

If you hear better without it, take it out!! Do the tests show it, or is it an observation you have made yourself?

This is an observation I have made myself. I don't use my aids for speech very often, since I mostly sign, but for example I have one counsellor who is hearing and we use FM when we are talking. Whenever I am with her I need to take out my left aid. I am going to the audiologist tomorrow to turn off the "quick-sync" thing on my aids so I can have them in separate programs. I tend to use FM+Mic when I am having a conversation so I can hear my voice too, but the background noise picked up in the left ear from the mics pretty much negates the use of the FM. So, my plan is to try FM+Mic in the right and FM only in the left. See what happens after that.

i think its cuz you get ALL the noise with the ha's ive found that too with my naids too...it picks up everything and alot of the time its what u dont want to hear lol

Yeah, from my understanding there is a decent amount of "processor noise" with the Naida's too. I also am pretty sure a lot of background noises that happen at a higher frequency that we would never hear with other aids gets transposed and therefore we end up hearing way more than anyone would want to.

You know what always confuses me? When people are like "I can hear birds!" or sometime else like that...well my friend has 8 budgies and I DO NOT want to hear her freaking birds. Speech -I want the speech! But, of course the birds are loud and my aids think I should hear that loud and clear too and I can sort through the noise to find the speech myself. It pisses me off because I know without sound recover I would never hear the birds to begin with! However, I need the sound recover for the speech. I think I am just SOL :giggle:

Yeah, from my understanding there is a decent amount of "processor noise" with the Naida's too. I also am pretty sure a lot of background noises that happen at a higher frequency that we would never hear with other aids gets transposed and therefore we end up hearing way more than anyone would want to.

You know what always confuses me? When people are like "I can hear birds!" or sometime else like that...well my friend has 8 budgies and I DO NOT want to hear her freaking birds. Speech -I want the speech! But, of course the birds are loud and my aids think I should hear that loud and clear too and I can sort through the noise to find the speech myself. It pisses me off because I know without sound recover I would never hear the birds to begin with! However, I need the sound recover for the speech. I think I am just SOL :giggle:

usually because some birds are high pitch. To them, if they can hear high pitch, then they can hear high pitches in some speech.

yes, which is why I wore one hearing aid all my life.. Actually, it didn't matter which ear.. If I wore both hearing aids, it confuses me SO much that I couldn't make out the noises. So I've always wore one hearing aid. Sometimes my earmold get worn out and crack, so I switch to my other ear and I would be fine. When that earmold get old, I get a new earmolds for both hearing aids and the cycle start all over again :D

yes, which is why I wore one hearing aid all my life.. Actually, it didn't matter which ear.. If I wore both hearing aids, it confuses me SO much that I couldn't make out the noises. So I've always wore one hearing aid. Sometimes my earmold get worn out and crack, so I switch to my other ear and I would be fine. When that earmold get old, I get a new earmolds for both hearing aids and the cycle start all over again :D

interesting...

I guess I had that problem when I lost all hearing in my Right ear in Feb/92. Went from profound-85% loss to deafness. At that time my Left ear was at profound loss level also. Back then in 1992 from various CAT scans etc the ENT Dr told me I would eventually become deaf. A slow process that "finalized" in Dec/06. This brought me to Sunnybrook Cochlear Implant section- being approved and operated on in July/07.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I'll wear both for school, but even then I usually have one ear on the FM for the teacher, and the other doing over time trying to make sense of the rest of the classroom. Sometimes it's easier to just try to go without it, because I can focus on sounds better. Other things (like sports), I also try to go with one hearing aid, so I can hear my coach, but not EVERYBODY's coach, y'know? :D

Of course, it is an individual choice on whether to use/get a Cochlear Implant as long as the "consequence of deafness" is accepted.Used to happened when every else "knew ASL". Is this true in one's specific circumstances? I am excluding anyone can use a Hearing aid.I assume this is the position of the "cultural deaf"? Factually, I am ORAL DEAF since December 20, 2006.

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07

Yes I am culturally Deaf. I do not want a CI. I have gone to Sunnybrook for the evaluation with Dr. Chen, but decided against it. I am a candidate though.

Dr Joseph Chen was the surgeon that did my Implant operation in July/07-- however. he was the last in line. First in line-Feb/07 was Amy Ng the audiologist who discussed the reasons why I wanted an Implant plus reviewed by entire Hearing history-St Michaels-ENT over 35 years. Also included was the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto files on my many Hearing Help classes there-over 15 years. Speech Reading/coping etc. Yeah even took Speech Reading while waiting for Dr Chen. It seems to me having gone through all of this- before Dr Chen and still being ambivalent on whether one still wants an Implant-interesting to say the least. I am highly familiar with the term "cultural deaf" re Harlan Lane's theory-Journey to a deaf world. I am aware of the ASL classes at CHS which is next door to SpeechLanguage class-2nd floor Spadina Avenue. Toronto Ontario The current head of the department was my first teacher back in 1992.
Still in the end it is one's choice re Cochlear Implant. You are not forced! One footnote: Sunnybrook/Toronto rejects for one reason or other over 60% of persons reviewed over the last 18 years. As of a few months only 850 person were implanted in the same time frame. In Ontario- OHIP picks up the entire costs-$55,000 CDN- if approved.
Further: from class discussions at CHS- "deaf " means one can't hear EVEN WITH a with Hearing Aid. If one can hear a "Bit" with a Hearing Aid- you are Hearing Impaired-that was my classification-Profound - 85% loss.

Dr Joseph Chen was the surgeon that did my Implant operation in July/07-- however. he was the last in line. First in line-Feb/07 was Amy Ng the audiologist who discussed the reasons why I wanted an Implant plus reviewed by entire Hearing history-St Michaels-ENT over 35 years. Also included was the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto files on my many Hearing Help classes there-over 15 years. Speech Reading/coping etc. Yeah even took Speech Reading while waiting for Dr Chen. It seems to me having gone through all of this- before Dr Chen and still being ambivalent on whether one still wants an Implant-interesting to say the least. I am highly familiar with the term "cultural deaf" re Harlan Lane's theory-Journey to a deaf world. I am aware of the ASL classes at CHS which is next door to SpeechLanguage class-2nd floor Spadina Avenue. Toronto Ontario The current head of the department was my first teacher back in 1992.
Still in the end it is one's choice re Cochlear Implant. You are not forced! One footnote: Sunnybrook/Toronto rejects for one reason or other over 60% of persons reviewed over the last 18 years. As of a few months only 850 person were implanted in the same time frame. In Ontario- OHIP picks up the entire costs-$55,000 CDN- if approved.
Further: from class discussions at CHS- "deaf " means one can't hear EVEN WITH a with Hearing Aid. If one can hear a "Bit" with a Hearing Aid- you are Hearing Impaired-that was my classification-Profound - 85% loss.

I saw Dr. Chen first as the result of an ENT consult. Then I met with an audiologist for the evaluation. I know the process.

Deaf people do not use the term "hearing impaired". We aren't impaired. Audiologically anything past the severe range is considered "deaf" anything above that is considered "hard of hearing".

I can "hear" with aids but I can't understand anything. It doesn't matter though - I am Deaf.

I am very familiar with CHS. I know at least 50% of the staff there from the community. I also access services there at times. Same goes for BRCD, Silent Voice, OCSD, OAD, CAD, ORAD, and every other acronym we have in this community.

I am also aware of the full OHIP coverage for CI's.

I don't need a CI. There is no "consequence" for my Deafness. I am a full time student, I am employed, I live alone, I have a social network, I can communicate. As far as I see it a CI isn't going to add to my quality of life at all.

Well that is what I went through in that sequence at Sunnybrook- Feb/Aug 2007. As for your assertions re deaf people don't use the term hearing impaired is contradicted I am DEAF and do use it as a descriptive/medical term. As most people that I have met over the last 30 years.-do also. Obviously I don't accept the cultural fiction as articulated by Harlan Lane et al. I discovered he is not DEAF at all. A real joke to say the least. His drivel about Cochlear Implants being" instruments of genocide" towards the deaf. I understand that position has been changed in the USA. Info from Michael Chorost's book "ReBuilt" and Beverly Bidermans Wired for Sound-a Journey into Hearing.
I have no comment whether you consider remaining in your present circumstances apparently requiring everyone else learn ASL to communicate with you or write it out or use an Interpreter. That to me is a regression to time prior to Cochlear Implants.Obviously considered that position in my deaf time-2006/07. Yeah I am ORAL deaf.That is why I started the whole process on getting an Cochlear Implant and no regrets to date.

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07

Are you naive? Do you have any idea how university-level literatures are written? You do realize Harlan Lane CITED his sources numerous times? Learn to read footnotes; any scholars of the soft sciences and classics would consult them before making an argument. Yes, he is not deaf, but his sources are from the Deaf and people working with the Deaf culture. And the notion of a "Deaf culture" can be traced back before the Deaf started totting Lane's book around as "the book" for their culture, so hardly any of it is "fiction," especially if it is being backed by anthropology. Before battling with JennyB, you might want to want to touch up on the way you conduct your arguments.

So, who are you to determine JennyB's quality of life? It sounds like to me, the way you keep down-putting how the Deaf communicate and their ways of interacting with the world, a symptom of YOU being unhappy with YOURSELF; moreso now that the topic shifted from a "do you hear better with one ear" to a culture-bash. Goddamn, I hate monolingual North America; no wonder why most of my closest friends are not born in North America.

No I am not illiterate but can recognize nonsense when I read it! Does the fact that one is "deaf" give one the "last word" on reclassifying deafness to be a "cultural" issue. If so, I am DEAF thus my opinion counts also!
The real problem which triggered deafness as a "cultural artifact" happened over a hundred years ago re residential schools using " Spoken" words rather than ASL in teaching "deaf " students.
As for Jenny B's life style/life is "up to her"-irrelevant to the discussion. Anyone is free to remain in a wheelchair if they don't want to walk for the rest of their life-if they wish. Be my guest.
Also, I am not"putting down the deaf" as I am DEAF. It also seems to me- every person here that has a Cochlear Implant doesn't buy the "deaf cultural theory".-either! I would assume in their consideration prior to getting an Implant every person debated remaining "deaf". To the best of my knowledge for ADULTS --Cochlear Implants are voluntary.They are not exactly "cheap".
I don't hate myself for starting the process of getting the Cochlear Implant back in 2007 after I became deaf on December 20. 2006. Why should I? I just crossed 3 years of my Implant being activated.
I recall hearing/reading about "cultural deafness' way back in the 90s . It didn't make much sense to me than. Some of this was picked up at Hearing Help classes - Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. Does one really believe there is such an entity as the "hearing community"? In sociology there is much discussions on "In vs Out"groups. Does "cultural blindness" vs "sighted communities" make much sense in Reality?
The supreme irony in all of this: "cultural deafness" is being depleted as more and more persons get Cochlear Implants. Surprised?

Advanced Bionics Harmony activated Aug/07.

Back