On the defense?

MissMegTheBaker

Reaction score
As a Deaf/HOH person do you constantly feel like you're on the defense or that you automatically react defensively in any social situation?

I see one heck of a lot more defensiveness coming from the hearies!:laugh2:

I've found the few people that I've tried to talk to who are Deaf/HOH are automatically defensive about literally anything. You can ask how they are and they'll reply like I just smacked them in the face. A lot of people are naturally defensive from life experiences, it's not just a hearing/non-hearing thing. I'm just curious if anyone here feels like they are more defensive because of bad experiences in general or something that is specific to Deaf/HOH.

No one was generalized in my statement. I even said that it's not just Deaf/HOH people. I'm defensive about plenty of things. I'm just asking if people here feel like they have become more defensive over time and if it has to do with the communication boundry that people run into. I'm a naturally accommadating and curious person. I'm just asking a question to the Deaf/HOH community to better understand. I'd like to think that would be a welcome trait.

No one was generalized in my statement. I even said that it's not just Deaf/HOH people. I'm defensive about plenty of things. I'm just asking if people here feel like they have become more defensive over time and if it has to do with the communication boundry that people run into. I'm a naturally accommadating and curious person. I'm just asking a question to the Deaf/HOH community to better understand. I'd like to think that would be a welcome trait.

have you asked them about it?

I've found the few people that I've tried to talk to who are Deaf/HOH are automatically defensive about literally anything. You can ask how they are and they'll reply like I just smacked them in the face. A lot of people are naturally defensive from life experiences, it's not just a hearing/non-hearing thing. I'm just curious if anyone here feels like they are more defensive because of bad experiences in general or something that is specific to Deaf/HOH.

I've become less tolerant over time. Not defensive. Tired.

I've tried to, however, I don't want to really push them away even further since it seems the fact that I can hear is what makes them feel like already against them. I mean, jeez, I'm looking up stuff online to try to understand this culture better and to be apart of it the best way a hearing person can be. I'm learning sign language(prior to Switched at Birth) for the sole purpose of IF I ever run into someone who is Deaf/HOH then they can be included too and not feel left out. It's frustrating to be seen as a "hearie" and not even be given a chance to show that I'm open and communicative.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Maybe you should stop studying deaf people like a monkey in the zoo. Sounds like you're annoying them.

Back