On Oprah....last night (Warning: Graphic Content)

you know - it is admirable that she has a will to continue living, despite of her face being unrecognizable and terribly disfigured. many people in her case would commit suicide.

Any animals from the primate family.

Nevermind..it wasnt her pet chimp. It was her friend's.

Yeah, the way she described the owner of the chimpanzee sounded rather unprofessional and moronic. Her friend laughed when the chimp pulled some of her hair out.

Ugh.

You have to remember that chimpanzees are not meant to live with us. Some can be quite affectionate while some can be wild and brutal. They are not meant to be kept as pets.

Yeah, the way she described the owner of the chimpanzee sounded rather unprofessional and moronic. Her friend laughed when the chimp pulled some of her hair out.

Ugh.

You have to remember that chimpanzees are not meant to live with us. Some can be quite affectionate while some can be wild and brutal. They are not meant to be kept as pets.

I concur..when I read the part about her friend laughing while her pet yanked her hair out, it made me sudder.

I agree! OMG, I do so much agree! What is a little hard to understand (for me) is that the Chimp was raised from a baby, even had a baby bottle....then turned into a cold-bloodied killer.....just wondering if or what set that Chimp off!....The lady did take care of the chimp, time to time, but she admitted she was "scared" of it.....

I saw part of the interview with the woman, but did not watch it long enough to see the unveiling of her face. I'm squeamish and couldn't stomach it. I caught a glimpse just now of a picture in Eve's post. I looked away.

At any rate, to answer your question... It's quite possible that this animal had reached sexual maturity and was very aggressive. With apes, a seemingly docile animal (even for years) will all of a sudden turn savage once they reach sexual maturity. I agree with alot of the other posters in saying that this animal should NOT have been kept as a pet. It really amazes me at how some people can think they can keep an animal like this and are "so shocked" when something tragic like this happens. It really makes me angry because, when it comes down to it, it wasn't the animal's fault. He/she was just doing what was natural. It's the humans in this situation that were at fault here.

She said that her daughter is going to the prom and she's going to miss helping her pic out her dress. Very sad.

At any rate, to answer your question... It's quite possible that this animal had reached sexual maturity and was very aggressive. With apes, a seemingly docile animal (even for years) will all of a sudden turn savage once they reach sexual maturity. I agree with alot of the other posters in saying that this animal should NOT have been kept as a pet. It really amazes me at how some people can think they can keep an animal like this and are "so shocked" when something tragic like this happens. It really makes me angry because, when it comes down to it, it wasn't the animal's fault. He/she was just doing what was natural. It's the humans in this situation that were at fault here.

The chimp was well beyond adolescence. The problem was that he had been infected with lyme disease and experienced a fit of uncontrollable rage due to the disease. Still not the animal's fault.

It's never the wild animal's fault when someone keeps the animal in captivity. The zoos have experts and elaborate safety procedures, and even then some zookeepers get hurt.

This animal should have been sent to a refuge when he started having problems. Better yet, the woman should not have purchased the animal at all.

The chimp was well beyond adolescence. The problem was that he had been infected with lyme disease and experienced a fit of uncontrollable rage due to the disease. Still not the animal's fault.

Thanks, Eve. I was just throwing out a possiblity. You're right, though. This was not the animals fault and the poor thing should NOT have been kept as a pet. That is what I find unconscienable. What were these people THINKING?!

It's never the wild animal's fault when someone keeps the animal in captivity. The zoos have experts and elaborate safety procedures, and even then some zookeepers get hurt.

This animal should have been sent to a refuge when he started having problems. Better yet, the woman should not have purchased the animal at all.

:werd: Absolutely right!

I feel so bad for her. I hope her face can fix. doctor are so expensive to fix.

I don't think she will ever be the same. There is no way the doctors will be able to "fix" what has been done. :(

In a lot of ways, it's best that she cannot actually see (since she is blind now) the damage done to her face. Oprah did ask her why she wore the veil, and she replied "so that I won't scare people". So, it seems she only has a small inkling as to what she really looks like now....

More than likely, she's on the waiting list for a face and hands transplant, many surgeries down the line for her also.

Bless this lady! She is just awesome, a true survivor. Seems she also has her daughter and some family for moral support. She also stated that she was not in any pain....and could not actually remember the attack, and doesn't want to, since it would pull her down into a deep depression.

She wants to live...wishing her the best.

I saw the program on Oprah Winfrey show about what happen nine months ago when the chimp attack her yesterday. I really feel sorry for the woman who has gone unrecognizable beyond her face. I was sick at this.

I am wondering why the chimp had gain weight at 200 pounds and the owner of the chimp might not be taking good care of him ever since he was a baby. If the lyme disease cause him to behave into sudden attack at her friend's face and body, then there must be something wrong with the owner not recognizing his problem right away. I don't know so I am just guessing. If she does not know how to take care of the chimp, then she had no reason to keep him as a pet. Having the baby chimp might be cute but when full grown there might be problems and the chimp also might be out of control for no reason.

Most exotic or wild animals should belong in the Wild. I love wild animals but leave them in the Wild. I just watch them, mind you, that I don't get close to them but at a distance. Most of the time I just love to watch wild birds and have them come to the outdoor feeder for them to eat during the Winter. I do know that wild animals do have feelings almost like human do and they do think like we do. :hmm:

Whoa, that poor lady! She must have been in so much pain constantly, what from the surgeries and whatnot. I hope the owner of that deceased chimp or whatever will be held accountable in the lawsuit. The lady, is her name Charla?, would need the money for all surgeries, medications and not to mention the care she will need to keep the infections away.

Miss-Delectable said:
Whoa, that poor lady! She must have been in so much pain constantly, what from the surgeries and whatnot. I hope the owner of that deceased chimp or whatever will be held accountable in the lawsuit. The lady, is her name Charla?, would need the money for all surgeries, medications and not to mention the care she will need to keep the infections away.
Not to mention the care she will need just for daily activities (bathing, brushing teeth, dressing, tying shoes, feeding herself, etc) for the rest of her life. I believe she is suing the state now, not the owner of the chimp. Chimp victim to sue state for $150 million - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Rather an over-simplistic explaination.

THe more closely related the animal to humans are... the more dangerous they turn out to be.

I means there's a reason why dogs and cats don't go for the gonads, the eyes, the jugular... usually other animals go for the limbs. Primates actually do recognize where the vulnerable parts are.

Anyone who is willing to mess with man's closest relatives is a bloody dumbass. Not only you're sharing mostly similar behaviours, you're also sharing the same behavours that could be misinterpreted.

That's the whole point. The more the apes behaves like us, the more dangerous they can be. They indeed have intelligence and much greater strength than an adult human. They are NEVER meant to be as pets in the first place...ever.

Fish make much better pets than chimps, in my opinion.

Exotic animals should just be outright banned as pets. There are too many foolish people out there that simply do not recognize the magnitude of what they are taking on and certainly don't think hard enough on the ramifications should an incident arise.

Exotic animals should stay in their natural habitats or in zoos. If you want to see a monkey, pay a fee to get into the zoo. This is much cheaper, and definitely much safer than trying to take in a monkey as a pet.

Back