Old Student

Julia B.

Reaction score
Hello, I am a 53 year old college student who has been interested in sign language since age 12. I had second cousins who were both deaf, but their children were hearing and communicated to the parents via ASL.

I am now in a class where I am writing a paper on the deaf community and the differences and similarities to the hearing community. Would you mind helping me out on this project? If not please let me know what the deaf community feels are the biggest differences in them and the hearing community (for example: Are there limitations on career goals for the deaf? What have been some of the biggest obstructions in achieving goals in school, athletics, jobs?)
What are some of the similarities? (For example: Do deaf people have self-confidence problems when approaching someone they want to date? Is there a lot of peer pressure in the deaf community? What are some of the peer pressures? Are deaf people afraid when approaching hearing people?)

I can sign minimally and feel insecure when approaching a deaf person, but I love to try and communicate. I have found that most deaf people can read lips and do not seem to be intimidated by the hearing community. This is wonderful. I would love to encourage more people to learn signing so that the hearing community can communicate with the deaf community.

Welcome to AD and hope you will get the answers to the questions you've asked. I'm pretty sure you'll find heaps of information within this site. :D

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Julia B.! Enjoy your stay here onboard! 'PM' me if you would like to pursue with the type of questions you have in mind and I'll do my best to respond accordingly...otherwise, feel free to ask these questions here in Alldeaf! :)

Back