Ok, I have to brag...

JadeSkye

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't say brag, but I guess that is what it is :) ... After my initial "posts of panic" I have just been silently reading around the site trying to get comfortable and a sense of things. So- I just had to share some happy thoughts (after all the panic I shared initially)!!

My husband told me tonight at dinner that our three year-old daughter is beginning to use some signs on her own :)! We are still waiting to have her ABR done in February so we still don't have an official diagnosis but we have been trying to teach her some words that we are learning from apps on our IPad and through the internet (reputable sources that have been mentioned on here). Apparently today while they were at his parent's house and I was at work she started signing "eat hamburger" when his mom showed up (she always brings lunch and it is usually hamburgers so our daughter always thinks when she goes over there that she is going to eat hamburgers for lunch :laugh2:). He said his dad looked at him and asked "what the heck is she doing?" so he told him that she was signing "eat hamburger" :). She is also trying to sign "toilet" (we use that for if she needs to go to the bathroom- her sign is basically waving her fist in the air at the moment though). She is also trying to sign "I love you" when I put her to bed (I always say it and sign it to her- it is just hard for her to get her fingers right). Tonight when we were talking about signing and he was showing me what she did she also started signing "water" and "milk" and pointing to our cups. I am just so happy to see that she is really starting to pick the few signs that we are using up and use them herself!! I can breathe a little easier now knowing that once we have a confirmation of what her hearing loss consists of and are able to start Early Intervention or school with her I am sure she will pick things up really fast!!

I bet she's happy to have a way to communicate with you.

I think you're right, LoveBlue :). Since she started showing signs that she has lost her hearing her speech has become pretty hard to understand at times (she mumbles and runs it together) so a lot of times I give her a confused look and say "what?" a few times before I can figure out what she is saying. She seems to really like learning and "showing off" what she is learning (what kid doesn't, though, right?). Our seven year-old has also been asking me "how do you sign [and some random word or letter]?" lately, so she seems to be taking an interest in trying to learn too :). Now I'm just ready to really start learning so we can use it pretty consistently.

That's great. Goes to show your kid is bright. On the hamburger sign do you use the florida sign? Put your palm under your armpit and move the arm up and down, making a patty. Florida people use that

Wirelessly posted

deafbirk said:
That's great. Goes to show your kid is bright. On the hamburger sign do you use the florida sign? Put your palm under your armpit and move the arm up and down, making a patty. Florida people use that

Nope, not this FL girl. I sign it. imitating patting out burgers with my hands. I seen few use the one you desscribed, but not very often.

Wirelessly posted

JadeSkye said:
Maybe I shouldn't say brag, but I guess that is what it is :) ... After my initial "posts of panic" I have just been silently reading around the site trying to get comfortable and a sense of things. So- I just had to share some happy thoughts (after all the panic I shared initially)!!

My husband told me tonight at dinner that our three year-old daughter is beginning to use some signs on her own :)! We are still waiting to have her ABR done in February so we still don't have an official diagnosis but we have been trying to teach her some words that we are learning from apps on our IPad and through the internet (reputable sources that have been mentioned on here). Apparently today while they were at his parent's house and I was at work she started signing "eat hamburger" when his mom showed up (she always brings lunch and it is usually hamburgers so our daughter always thinks when she goes over there that she is going to eat hamburgers for lunch :laugh2:). He said his dad looked at him and asked "what the heck is she doing?" so he told him that she was signing "eat hamburger" :). She is also trying to sign "toilet" (we use that for if she needs to go to the bathroom- her sign is basically waving her fist in the air at the moment though). She is also trying to sign "I love you" when I put her to bed (I always say it and sign it to her- it is just hard for her to get her fingers right). Tonight when we were talking about signing and he was showing me what she did she also started signing "water" and "milk" and pointing to our cups. I am just so happy to see that she is really starting to pick the few signs that we are using up and use them herself!! I can breathe a little easier now knowing that once we have a confirmation of what her hearing loss consists of and are able to start Early Intervention or school with her I am sure she will pick things up really fast!!

What proud mommy doesn't brag? ;) Way to go.

deafbirk- No, we use the "making a patty with your hands" sign like Babyblue described... The "sign" you are describing sounds to me like what kids do to make an "arm fart" ;). I can't even imagine why a sign like that would be used for hamburger (if it indeed is hmmm?).

now knowing that once we have a confirmation of what her hearing loss consists of and are able to start Early Intervention or school with her I am sure she will pick things up really fast!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!!!!! Looks like starting ASL was the right thing to pursue! I'm very excited and very jealous.

Back