ok here goes

geoff

Reaction score
A lot of folks have posted their journey in getting Cochlear implants. Mine has just begun. I`m still not sure what I will decide to do or even if I will qualify. Everything I have read on it makes me feel like I fit the criteria. Today I am getting my MRI and I was told they will be giving me more test. I have no idea what kind of test other than the typical hearing tones and words. If anyone knows what else they may do let me know. I have a follow up appointment Friday with the ENT so I`m guessing I won`t get very much information today.

Put the effort in learning sign. You'l be better for it.
But if your hearts set in the drill, fair enough,
Are aids no longer working for you?

In my right ear no its not

Meaning you've totally maxed out on that ear? No response whatsoever, or very low response? I would opt for a CI then. As I've said progressive loss folks do very well with a CI.

I was nervous and here I am today.
My lip reading is going to crap now, and still learning ASL as Im completely Deaf without my CI's.
But I love the silence from time to time.... its a lot to get used to but it all falls into place.

There is still the risk of significant side effects from the surgery. Might want to investigate those more too. My second implant messed up my balance in that I can't do a forward flip or roll or hang my head upside down without getting severe
Nausea/ motion sickness for several hours. I used to love going on roller coasters too. Also he didn't think there was much chance of it improving if implant was removed. Surgeon had no idea of the cause either. Also changed my taste sensation as well.

My hearing aids were maxed out in both ears. But in my left I still can hear a bit with them and understand. In my right ear I hear very little if anything and have absolutely no comprehension. They are wanting to do it in the right ear. I`m thinking I will do it. I pretty much have nothing to lose. I do still want to learn ASL. I`ve been out of work for over a month now and realize my job is not what`s best for me. Don`t get me wrong I`m not going to up and quit. But now I would like to learn ASL and maybe get a degree and teach. My wife is a teacher and so is my mother. I would love to teach deaf/HOH children. Or at least be around more people so if anyone is out there feeling they are the only one like I did growing up I can help. This forum has been so helpful the past week. When I grew up we didn`t have the internet or cell phones so it wasn`t as easy to reach out.

My hearing aids were maxed out in both ears. But in my left I still can hear a bit with them and understand. In my right ear I hear very little if anything and have absolutely no comprehension. They are wanting to do it in the right ear. I`m thinking I will do it. I pretty much have nothing to lose. I do still want to learn ASL. I`ve been out of work for over a month now and realize my job is not what`s best for me. Don`t get me wrong I`m not going to up and quit. But now I would like to learn ASL and maybe get a degree and teach. My wife is a teacher and so is my mother. I would love to teach deaf/HOH children. Or at least be around more people so if anyone is out there feeling they are the only one like I did growing up I can help. This forum has been so helpful the past week. When I grew up we didn`t have the internet or cell phones so it wasn`t as easy to reach out.

Sounds like you're on the right track! And OMG that would be AMAZING if you became an ASL fluent TOD!!!!! Georgia is SO bad with inclusive education of dhh kids....I know someone (HOH and oral) who is the product of Georgia schools who still has issues with the difference between boycotted and boycotting!

My fiancé was born profoundly Deaf and got a CI when he was 15. He can hear some things with the CI but cannot process speech. He uses sign and lipreads very well. He is very happy with his decision. The only problem he has with the CI is vertigo when he is laying down with his head in an odd position. Other than that, it has been great! He has one foot in the hearing world and one foot in the Deaf world. I hope it goes well for you.

Thank you guys. I'm meeting with my job this morning to see what they want to do with me. I think I'm more nervous about that. I feel like they will move me to a different department. If so that's fine but it will be like starting over and I hope I like where they move me if they do. I work in an auto plant and I drive around and supply the assembly line. With my hearing shot I don't think they will want me to drive all over the place in all that traffic

Thank you guys. I'm meeting with my job this morning to see what they want to do with me. I think I'm more nervous about that. I feel like they will move me to a different department. If so that's fine but it will be like starting over and I hope I like where they move me if they do. I work in an auto plant and I drive around and supply the assembly line. With my hearing shot I don't think they will want me to drive all over the place in all that traffic

Bing Deaf doesnt affect your ability to drive.
Dont accept that nonsense from them...

Geof deaf make better drivers than hearing also best life guards

Show them studies that prove Deaf people are better drivers than hearing people. Hearing people get distracted by sounds (radio, constructions, other noises), while Deaf people have better peripheral vision and noise does not distract them.

HA! I`m sorry You all misunderstood what I do. I drive what is called a P.I.V. A Powered Industrial Vehicle. Where I`m at is a lot of pedestrian traffic. ALOT! and also other PIVs We use our horns to communicate with one another. I have driven out into busy aisles before in front of people because I didn't hear the horns. But now that I've lost all hearing in the left ear I`m facing the facts that maybe I need to move somewhere else. I talked to the company doctor today and he was very understanding. He said I have been successful in my job for the past 5 years but with what is going on maybe we need to move to another department at least temporarily. He hopes after my surgery I will recover and hear better than I do now. So right now I need to schedule the surgery, find out how long until I can come back, and then see if I need to move out of my current department. It could be a good thing. Maybe I will land somewhere better.

HA! I`m sorry You all misunderstood what I do. I drive what is called a P.I.V. A Powered Industrial Vehicle. Where I`m at is a lot of pedestrian traffic. ALOT! and also other PIVs We use our horns to communicate with one another. I have driven out into busy aisles before in front of people because I didn't hear the horns. But now that I've lost all hearing in the left ear I`m facing the facts that maybe I need to move somewhere else. I talked to the company doctor today and he was very understanding. He said I have been successful in my job for the past 5 years but with what is going on maybe we need to move to another department at least temporarily. He hopes after my surgery I will recover and hear better than I do now. So right now I need to schedule the surgery, find out how long until I can come back, and then see if I need to move out of my current department. It could be a good thing. Maybe I will land somewhere better.

In all likelihood, you are going to have much better hearing than you have had following activation and rehab. Approaching surgery/recovery as a temporary disability with job reassignment would be ideal. It's difficult to predict how fast one will recover. I had hearing immediately, but it is always overwhelming for everyone because you are no longer limited to a small hearing window. That means you'll be re-learning to hear with much more information. I worked in an office at the time, so my daily environment was "quiet." Keep in mind that during those days, just going in the breakroom/kitchen would be overwhelming with the hum of the vending machines, refrigerators, and microwave ovens. Your work environment will definitely be overwhelming. Today, I work in a similar environment and do depend on my hearing for safety and communication.

You should be hoping and expecting to hear better in the end. That is generally what happens, particularly for people who are very auditory- inclined to begin with. This is a very exciting time in your life!

Thank you. I am excited. And as of right now my job has been very supportive

Ok. I went to the doctor today and he said everything on his end looked good enough to go ahead with the surgery. My CT scan showed some concern with my sinuses so I am seeing a different doctor about that Monday. I'm guessing maybe that is why I have had that fluid blocking my ear off and on for the past few years. I have been battleing a sinus infection for the past month but never really had any issues before. I`m not too concerned about it. If the sinus doctor thinks I need surgery with that we will still do the CI first so I can get my lazy butt back to work as soon as possible. Right now we are waiting for them to contact the insurance company and by Wednesday we should maybe have a date. It will be an out patient surgery and last about 2-3 hours. They will make a small cut in my head and implant an internal device. I will be completely deaf until 4-5 weeks after. Then I will be given an external device that will be activated. After that its just a process of learning and recognizing sounds again

Ok. I went to the doctor today and he said everything on his end looked good enough to go ahead with the surgery. My CT scan showed some concern with my sinuses so I am seeing a different doctor about that Monday. I'm guessing maybe that is why I have had that fluid blocking my ear off and on for the past few years. I have been battleing a sinus infection for the past month but never really had any issues before. I`m not too concerned about it. If the sinus doctor thinks I need surgery with that we will still do the CI first so I can get my lazy butt back to work as soon as possible. Right now we are waiting for them to contact the insurance company and by Wednesday we should maybe have a date. It will be an out patient surgery and last about 2-3 hours. They will make a small cut in my head and implant an internal device. I will be completely deaf until 4-5 weeks after. Then I will be given an external device that will be activated. After that its just a process of learning and recognizing sounds again

Wishing you all the best, and a smooth quick recovery! :lol:

Back