Oil pressure is level zero.

webexplorer

Reaction score
My Ford Explorer 1996 has a problem with the oil pressure that says zero on the dashboard. A gage light showed up on the dashboard.

A private good mechanic replaced my brakes today. I checked the oil, and the oil level is in the middle as normal. He thinks that it has to do with the oil pressure problem. I don't understand what is going on.

You probley got taken for a ride having your brakes replaced.Like i should had listen to my dad telling me theres nothing wrong with my fan belt.But Goodyear told me there was a problem with my fan belt.I couldnt afford and mom told me dont cash my savings bond yet cause your savings bond isnt like it used to be.Its ran by the stock market today.She told me what till it matures then cash it.Well i cashed it and paid for the fan belt.I should had waited till it matures :( But i didnt want to risk if my fan belt goes up.Now i dont like these people like goodyear cause they lie to you to make you pay extra.Just like My Tires were worn out by goodyear when i bought em they told me it wasnt goodyears fault cause you didnt have your tires rotated,It Cost money to rotate your tires thats why i didnt wanna pay extra.I tried to take goodyear to court but no lawyer wont take my case.

Gee, hope this is only minor signal malfunction... Better have it tested NOW! If there is truly no oil pressure, then drving, less than 5 minutes your motor will be GONE!!!! Meaning new motor would be needed. SO BETTER TEST the sensor NOW or you'd be sorry... there is oil pump inside the engine. Generally they do LAST for a long time... but in some cases it do break. Other possible is glunk get clogged up... bad news. So, again TEST IT!!!

My Ford Explorer 1996 has a problem with the oil pressure that says zero on the dashboard. A gage light showed up on the dashboard.

A private good mechanic replaced my brakes today. I checked the oil, and the oil level is in the middle as normal. He thinks that it has to do with the oil pressure problem. I don't understand what is going on.

I agree with Diehardbiker65, better have it checked as soon you can. It could be either the signal malfuction OR worse engine oil pressure is very low and not pumping any oil in the engine which can cause engine damage.

Do it before you get in big debt.

Get them checked as soon as possible. Having no oil pressure will seize your engine causing metal to metal contact with lack of lubrication with oil. The reason is the oil level is fine in the oil pan, but your oil pump may be dead unable to pump to circulate the oil around the engine causing noisy valves, metal to metal grinding and much more.

Have a professional mechanic run a test on the oil pressure. If its a faulty sensor your lucky, but if the oil pump is fried, have to take the oil pan off to replace the pump.

Good luck

I read your advise. I took my truck to a shop today. The man took out the oil pressure part (near the oil filter on the left side), and tested the oil pressure with his machine. He said that the pressure is normal. It was a good thing that the device is defective so I got a new part for $14. The overall prices included a new oil and labor cost 65 bucks. It's better than sorry.

I went to a NAPA store (car part store), and the oil pressure price was 6.00. Well, he made 8 dollars profit. (His service cost $14 - $6 from NAPA store = $8.)

That is best news! Having bad signal switch is better than bad oil pump! If any one of you ever notice oil pressure drops, SHUT the motor down, and have it towed to shop to have it tested. It is NOT worth trying to save money on towing because lack of lubrication makes the parts turn into sandpaper and eat itself up... less than 5 minutes is all it need to kill the motor!

I read your advise. I took my truck to a shop today. The man took out the oil pressure part (near the oil filter on the left side), and tested the oil pressure with his machine. He said that the pressure is normal. It was a good thing that the device is defective so I got a new part for $14. The overall prices included a new oil and labor cost 65 bucks. It's better than sorry.

I went to a NAPA store (car part store), and the oil pressure price was 6.00. Well, he made 8 dollars profit. (His service cost $14 - $6 from NAPA store = $8.)

That's great news! I bet you are relieved that it's a bad sensor that causing the oil pressure gauge to drop to 0. And only $14 to replace a sensor kudos to that ;)

Seem like your engine will be fine since for the time being. What is your Explorer mileage now? Is it a V-6?

That's great news! I bet you are relieved that it's a bad sensor that causing the oil pressure gauge to drop to 0. And only $14 to replace a sensor kudos to that ;)

Seem like your engine will be fine since for the time being. What is your Explorer mileage now? Is it a V-6?

It has 150,000 miles and a V8 engine. The motor is running fine as smooth - I replace the oil every 3 thousands miles.

My truck is clean and almost no rust except two small spot rusts on the back of the metal bumper. I do not have a garage. I put my truck under the tree - so far no branch fall on it yet.

One small problem "Check Engine" light is on for one year. Many Ford owners have the same problem related to a gas tank switcher defective. It is not that important - I guess. Last fall, I took it to Firestone to test on the computer, and they cannot find the problem so it could be the gas switcher.

I am a lot of relief that the oil pressure is back to normal. Whew!

Well, I wouldn't be concerned with the difference in sensor prices, as the new engine would've cost thousands of bucks. You still made a smart move by checking it out. Same with checking out the engine check light. Some sensor faults, if left can cause engine damage and other sensor damage in the longer term, so a quick check is good insurance.

Same goes for regular oil changes. A lot of people let it go too long. Oil sludge builds up creating blockages or restrictions in the oilways and can cause catastrophic damage. My Mother in Law (!!Sigh!!) missed 3 change intervals. She said the oil was leaking out enough not to bother as it got sort of replaced every couple of months. Eventually it started clattering much worse than a diesel. When I took off the rocker cover it was dry inside....Oh Sh**!
I took the cam and rocker shafts off and they were completely blocked. Luckily the cam and rocker gear were just OK, but had to replace hydraulic lifters and some valves as they had no oil supply, collapsed and hammered themselves to death. Also had to pull off the sump, clean pickup pipe, pump and other oilways. Probably lucky no firearms in the house. Would have had to shoot the car and put it out of its misery.............
The upshot? She saved $45 x 3 = $135 on maintenance, but repairs were around $500. Would have cost much more for a mechanic to do it.

Seriously, regular maintenance and preventive action saves a lot of headaches.

Back