Ohio Cop Forces Dog Owner To Sit In Hot Car As Punishment After Finding Her Pet Locke

Good for the cop having the woman finding out what it like to be locked up in a hot car. I am glad someone called the cop for the poor puppy.

Yes I'm with you. But don't you think that was a bit extreme?

extreme? uh how? this lady wasn't kept in the car for a long time nor was suffering from any medical duress.

Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yes I'm with you. But don't you think that was a bit extreme?

No, I think it was about time a cop did this ! This might made other dog owners think twice before locking their poor dog in a hot car., and that woman hopefully will not to that to her poor puppy again.

I think it is fortunate that nothing of a medical nature happened to this inconsiderate person.

I've became very reluctant to take my small doggie with me while I run errands, even tho; she loves to ride in the car. I have spare keys and always left my car running with AC or heat, whatever the weather....and my car runs so quiet, some people don't even know it's running.....
But with all the car jackings and people stealing pure bred dogs, I stopped and now leave her home to cry...
Never have I left my dog in a hot or cold car.

Same here. I have always been very good about making sure the dogs stay cool on hot days, but lately I've just stopped taking them with me altogether (unless hubby is with me so he can keep an eye on the dogs while I run into the store, etc.) because same as RR, the issue about carjackings and purebred dogs. (One of ours is a German Shorthair and hunters around here want to kidnap them. True story!)

Its not the job of police.to met out punisbment. Thats for the courts. Granted ive seen my share of lucky breaks. This was huniliation. If it even hSppened. We dont know the name of thr officer or.even the women.
There was no need for this.
you either arrest her or let her go, cops are not judge. and jury.its been a while since ive been.to america, maybe that has changed.

Regardless how i feel to the owners actions...
This was very irrisponsible.on the cops psrt.
Whwt if she didbfdint, or worse? forcing someone to sit in s jot vehifle as punishment?
Really?
Really?

Its not the job of police.to met out punisbment. Thats for the courts. Granted ive seen my share of lucky breaks. This was huniliation. If it even hSppened. We dont know the name of thr officer or.even the women.
There was no need for this.
you either arrest her or let her go, cops are not judge. and jury.its been a while since ive been.to america, maybe that has changed.

Regardless how i feel to the owners actions...
This was very irrisponsible.on the cops psrt.
Whwt if she didbfdint, or worse? forcing someone to sit in s jot vehifle as punishment?
Really?
Really?

so.... you prefer cops to do nothing when there is a dog dying in a hot car?

really? really?

Why not give him a week in jail and pay $1000 fine? Stiff fines and a week in jail will teach dog owners not let their dogs in hot cars. Or why not take his pets away from him and say he's not allowed to own another pet as long he lives. Look when teens commit computer crimes they take computer away from him for life. So why not the same for dog owners?

Why not give him a week in jail and pay $1000 fine? Stiff fines and a week in jail will teach dog owners not let their dogs in hot cars. Or why not take his pets away from him and say he's not allowed to own another pet as long he lives. Look when teens commit computer crimes they take computer away from him for life. So why not the same for dog owners?

or... why not let her sit in a hot car for a few min?

so.... you prefer cops to do nothing when there is a dog dying in a hot car?

really? really?

No. cops need to intervene. Chsrge her for animal cruelty, or what ever the charge is for leaving a pooch in a hot csr.
their job is to police and enforce laws not to punish.
JUst saying
anyway he did her s favoir by not charging her..

No. cops need to intervene. Chsrge her for animal cruelty, or what ever the charge is for leaving a pooch in a hot csr.
their job is to police and enforce laws not to punish.
JUst saying
anyway he did her s favoir by not charging her..

or... just sit in a hot car for a few min............. we do not always need to charge them and put them in jail.

or... just sit in a hot car for a few min............. we do not always need to charge them and put them in jail.

I agree with this. he did her a favor. Fine. i dont agree with the punishment. It was just hunilition. im sure she knows what its like To be in a hot car for a few minutes.
If anything. She should of after it was done.drove to the nearest lawyer......
The cop wws irrisponsible. He didnt know her, she could of been on meds, she could have breathing plms, due to heat who knows....it was a silly punishment...
The cop got lucky here....

Last edited:
or... why not let her sit in a hot car for a few min?

Jiro, the difference is that a person knows how to get out of a hot (or cold) vehicle unless incapacitated, whereas a dog, any other animal, babies, etc. can't. They are left to suffer.

The cop was out of line... There is a system for a reason, it may be flawed, but it does try to keep some order. Cops have no business handing out any kind of punishment beside a warning, ticket, or arrest...
If this is okay, where is the line drawn, at what point dose one say its wrong? Generally after someone is dead or injured and then what.... To late...

If the cop had arrested the woman the dog would had gone to an animal shelter and if she had no one to pick her dog up the poor dog would had to stay there for 30 days . A kill shelter only keep a dog for 3 to 5 day depending on the color of the dog , a black dog would be dead in 2 days . The cop most likely was trying to keep the poor dog from being send to a kill shelter. Dogs are put down by mistake at kill shelters. My sister black dog was killed with 2 days after being picked by an ACO , my sister was told she had 5 days to get her dog. She went on the second b/c she had no car and her black dog was dead.

Back