Oh please help me

Darkinday

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the story. Yesterday at work, I had taken my hearing aid out, due to the onset of a headache. While doing the clients laundry, my hearing aid fell to the floor, but I didn't know, or hear it. (He had the western channel on really loud). One of my clients dogs decided that my hearing aid was a lovely chew toy, and have destroyed it into four pieces.

Since I was at work, logic says I am not wholly responsible for the damage and deductible for the replacement. (The aid is covered under insurance, and deductible is $375.) Do any of you know of a law that would possibly cover this? I feel that my work should end up paying for at least half of the deductible, since I was AT work, with a client, and they knew that I A.) get migraines, and B.) wear a hearing aid, and C.) the client has three dogs.

What's your intake on this?

Why didn't you put it in a box on a shelf, if you knew you get headaches and might want to take it out?

I think you are wholly responsible. Or irresponsible, however you want to look at it.

If I am a landscape gardener with bunions, and they bother me as I kneel at the flower bed, so I throw them on the lawn and the guy with the mower rubs over them, he is not responsible. So, I am leaving now before I become offensive. :wave:

I am sorry.

I wouldn't put my HA outside of the hard box where it is suppose to be in a safe spot. I don't know what to say. I expect that animals are not at fault. HA is my "child" to take care of.. Again, i am sorry about yours. I know the feeling that the insurance does not cover HA that I am so mad about..

If I am a landscape gardener with bunions, and they bother me as I kneel at the flower bed, so I throw them on the lawn and the guy with the mower rubs over them, he is not responsible. So, I am leaving now before I become offensive. :wave:

Exactly. Location doesn't matter. You are still responsible for your own actions. The HA was taken off and put somewhere where it could easily fall to the floor. The OP knew there were dogs in the house. She/he willingly took the risk. Time to pay the piper. Or in this case, the repair shop.:giggle:

When I had my HA's, I always kept a zip bag for them in my pocket or with me. I was forever getting ear infections with them and would take them out at odd times of the day, so I was always prepared. It's the same as being prepared with extra batteries or wax guards.

Well, as they all say - you are responsible....

But..
I'll say this: If you can prove to the VR that you need hearing aids in order to continue work... they'll get you a new set.

*shrugs*
It's also less stress on your relationship wiht your employer, your finances, etc.

Oh yes. some states that VR can help out with the hearing aid if the income resource is under what VR's earning limited..

From what I understand the VR in AR can help with the costs of obtaining HAs.

I'm with the others on maybe getting some VR help.

For the incident itself, personal responsibility. That's all I can say.

I do not think it anyone but your fault your client's dog broke your HA. Maybe if your HA fell out of your ear or got knock out some way and the dog broke it then you would have a case. I think you should still try and get some help in getting a new HA. How old was the HA that got broken, were you due to get a new one soon?

Since I was at work, logic says I am not wholly responsible for the damage and deductible for the replacement. (The aid is covered under insurance, and deductible is $375.) Do any of you know of a law that would possibly cover this? I feel that my work should end up paying for at least half of the deductible, since I was AT work, with a client, and they knew that I A.) get migraines, and B.) wear a hearing aid, and C.) the client has three dogs.

If I hired someone to clean my office, and that person told me that I should pay for half the cost of a new hearing aid because his/her dog ate it, I would not want that person back.

Be careful with what you do. You want to be sure the client keeps you employed.

I would chalk it up as a $375 lesson learned and put the HA in a safer place.

p.s. Not to sound callous, but most employers don't care about our personal issues, they just want you to do the job.

Mod note:

Thread's moved from General Chat to Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants.

I'm sorry for this, we live and learn
I advise you not to ask your employer to pay for it in part or in full or whatever, you will be red flagged in his/her book, go get a loan and move on.
Plus I would add insurance if I were you, my HA used to cost me $100/year insurance or even more but it is worth it as they are $3000+ each and I could not afford it if lost it, I lately checked my home insurance and found out that I could pay much less by adding them to my home owner (rental) policy, it probable costs me like $10-20/year extra.

Thank you all for you input, and you have all given me good advice. Thank you very much.:wave:

I cracked up. sorry ya'all :aw:

When I had my HA's, I always kept a zip bag for them in my pocket or with me. I was forever getting ear infections with them and would take them out at odd times of the day, so I was always prepared. It's the same as being prepared with extra batteries or wax guards.

that explains. HA in ziplock bag is a surefire way to get an ear infection. nice and moisty.... just like a moldy sandwich.

Get an ear drop medication from your doctor and you'll be fine for most of time. if you're getting an irritated ear, just do a couple drops in your ear and have a good night.

Ok, so here's the story. Yesterday at work, I had taken my hearing aid out, due to the onset of a headache. While doing the clients laundry, my hearing aid fell to the floor, but I didn't know, or hear it. (He had the western channel on really loud). One of my clients dogs decided that my hearing aid was a lovely chew toy, and have destroyed it into four pieces.

pay $375 and be more careful next time.

But you mean that in the kindest , most loving way, a bully can. :aw:

Or you actually got it and were complimenting my humor. ;)

it's because you don't walk on eggshells. You steamrolled thru with your walkers :D

Back