Officials treating deaf woman's death as homicide

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/81795.asp

JACKSONVILLE - A 26-year-old deaf Jacksonville woman was found dead in her residence Wednesday morning in what law enforcement officials are treating as a homicide.

Amber Burroughs of the 500 block of Stratford Lane was pronounced dead at 9 a.m., about half an hour after she was discovered by police.

Morgan County Coroner Jeff Lair said an autopsy will be held in Springfield today. He would not comment on the nature of any fatal wounds or possible weapons.

Jacksonville police responded to Burroughs' residence, in the Northwoods Mobile Home Park at the corner of Walnut and Sandusky streets, to investigate an unknown medical problem. Emergency medical personnel were quickly summoned, but Burroughs couldn't be revived.

Police Lt. Tim Shea said the cause of death is unknown, but he added that the incident is being treated as a homicide. A crime-scene technician from the Illinois State Police has been called in to assist in the investigation, and the location of the incident and an adjacent trailer were still cordoned off late Wednesday afternoon.

Shea said he could not comment on whether there had been previous domestic problems at the address. He also would not discuss who else other than the victim lived at the home, although Burroughs reportedly was the mother of more than one young child, according to Lair.

A deaf interpreter also was called to assist in the investigation.

Morgan County State's Attorney Chris Reif said late Wednesday that while he had discussed the case with local police investigators, no suspect had been identified or taken into custody.

Shea said police were in the process of tracking down Burroughs' relatives and interviewing possible witnesses.

Wow...so sad... One of my friends grew up with her, and another friend of a friend did as well...I know the details are being kept kinda quiet, so I will leave it that way, but...26 is just too young.

Wow, crazy. Jacksonville is a pretty dangerous city. I know cuz my dad lives and works at a drug treatment center in Jacksonville. I m going there in May to visit my dad. Yikes.

That name sounds incredibly familiar, though I'm not sure why (I am from Illinois, though).

Hootster- Jacksonville isn't a dangerous city. It's in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by corn. :)

Wow, I m an idiot. Next time, I need to read the article before I comment. I was thinking of Jacksonville, FLORIDA which is actually a fairly dangerous city. I just saw Jacksonville and assumed it was that city. My bad. hahahahahaha.

hootster said:
Wow, I m an idiot. Next time, I need to read the article before I comment. I was thinking of Jacksonville, FLORIDA which is actually a fairly dangerous city. I just saw Jacksonville and assumed it was that city. My bad. hahahahahaha.

Haha, don't feel bad. I actually initially thought it was Florida too, because Jacksonville, Illinois doesn't often make the news. :)

oh no sheesh

i am zipped

i use to be from illinois i used live there as a kid acually around chicago area
but i move out before i became teenager

duh its in Illinois lol

yeah its surely sad. I knew that guy, but not that well. Sorry for those boys.

Back